Group Cruise - Free room? How does it work?

773 Miles Away

So if we do a group cruise and have 8 rooms booked we can do both the $100per room credit as well as one of the complimentary gifts? Yes. Plus we will get 1 berth free (not to include the port fees/taxes)? Yes

If we would choose not to do the points then they will just lower the cost of our cruise but we will not receive a complimentary gift or the onboard credit? No. We will receive the 1 berth free? Yes

I want to make sure I understand completely what all we CAN get so that when I go to book the cruise I know upfront if somebody is trying to "cheat" us out of something. Ya know? Thanks for all the help

Hope this helps!

ALSO, be warned...the cruise YOU choose may not "accept groups"...or the groups may be sold out. I am taking a group on Sensation in August and we are getting NADA! I have been back and forth with carnival about this, but they only allow so many groups on board and once the group allowance is gone, it's GONE.

They explained it to me like this. There is a groups department that is separate from the normal reservations. They are given so much inventory to sell. Once it's gone, it's gone.

So book early and check with the groups department to see if the cruise you choose is eligible for groups.

Just wanted to add a couple of things, I've been a GL many times. If you sell 50 cabins, 26 of them insides, and 24 of them suites, you're TC will be based on the INSIDE cabin rate, because that is the category you sold the most.

Secondly, Carnival will allow the GL's to "skip" final payment, and apply their TC value to their final payment. You don't ALWAYS have to get it in the form of a rebate. They used to allow GL's to just book with the low $25-50 deposit, and not make ANY more payments, if the TC's covered the cost, but now, GL's at least need to pay the full deposit. You need a good TA to negotiate this for you though, they don't generally tell people this. RCI will NOT allow it, it's always in rebate form, and you always have to pay for the full value of your cruise.

If you spread the value of the TC's out amongst the people in your group, the TA that you booked with usually "covers" the value out of their own pocket, and keeps the TC rebate. Think about it, when starting a group, many people have NO idea how large it will get, which type cabin will be booked most, or who will cancel last minute. How could they accurately figure the TC rate until after sailing, and therefore can't count on the value being spread correctly. Find a TA that will cover the cost, and accept the rebate as "collateral".

Also, some GL's prefer to take upgrades rather than the TC value. Figure out the value of your TC's, and see if you can upgrade to a better cabin, if that's what you want to do. Again, a good TA can negotiate that for you, because in many cases, they will cover the cost out of their own pocket. Find a TA that is VERY knowledgeable about groups, not just your average Carnival PVP. I can't stress enough how your TA will become your new best friend when booking a group!!

Many GL's use the value of the TC's to do nice things for their group, make little goodie packets, giveaways, or buy them a private party if it's not included in the ammenities. Being a GL is HARD WORK, especially if you plan excursions, private parties, giveaways, etc... and sometimes the work you put in isn't even worth the value of the TC. You gotta do it because you LOVE it, not for the money, because believe me, it's never as much as you think it's going to be, lol.

For every 8 cabins booked you get rebated the amount of one free berth (less taxes and port fees) in the most booked cabin (not cheapest). The rebate check will come from Carnival sometime after the cruise.

How you get your money for the free berths depends the number of cabins and on who you book through. If you were to book 17 cabins and the group leader was taking the free's for him/her self, they do not have to pay up front when using most travel agents. When we book a group and the group leader decides to split the money between the cabins, we don't wait 6 weeks to send people checks. We take it right off their final amount due as we know it will be coming to us anyway. The free berths earned is not always in the form of a rebate after cruising.

So if you have alot of rooms like say 50 you can get a commision also.........give an email and I will send you the PDF so you can read it better some of the charts did post in format

The commission you see on that chart is for travel agents only!

The commission you see on that chart is for travel agents only!

It reads to me you can have either OBC or a Bonus Commision does not say for TA only. This chart is for Group leaders and how they wish to use their points. I would think if you had a very large group the bonus commision would be better than 4 free berths

BONUS COMMISSION2

$25/stateroom 8 4 3 3 3 2 2 1

$50/stateroom 8 8 6 5 5 4 3 3

$75/stateroom 8 N/A 9 8 7 5 5 4

$100/stateroom

NOTES

Please note that the minimum stateroom requirements, will be enforced on all groups.

Amenities are capacity controlled and point values are subject to change.

1. Bus allowances will be paid after the group has sailed.

2. A maximum of one onboard credit or bonus commission can be purchased per group.

3. Amenities may not apply on certain rate codes and are only available in category 4A and above; check your group booking "Statement

of Group Request" for details

It reads to me you can have either OBC or a Bonus Commision does not say for TA only. This chart is for Group leaders and how they wish to use their points. I would think if you had a very large group the bonus commision would be better than 4 free berths

The document you have is intended for travel agents, not the general public. Trust me, no cruise line is going to pay a non travel agent a commission.

It really is not much as the previous posters have said. We booked our cruise on the Liberty as a group originally and the leader was going to be credited all of $190 which we would have spread out amongst all of us (20 people). It amounted to next to nothing.

When are you going on the Liberty that you got such a low price for you room. Is it an inside room?

Archived