Any of you have Malaria??

Karried

Hi, just wondering how many people took malaria meds before and for 4 weeks after travel. Did you get sick from the side effects of the meds?

And..... maybe your'e not alive to tell about it :rolleyes: , but did anyone ever contract it from traveling?

How many people have traveled to places where it might have been a concern and were fine?

Let me know because as usual, there is something else to be worried about! We will be on a 30 min hike to and from the caves in Belize, I am bringing tons of mosquito repellent but I need to know if this is enough.

I don't want to take the meds unless it is absolutely imperative.

i would recommend that you look up a travelers health website.

or ask your MD.

my 2 cents:

insect repellant is probably good enough. however, my sister had malaria when she lived in egypt and it was not fun. she was really sick....needed an MD by the bedside constantly for 2 days. but, she got it while LIVING there....not just passing through.

let us know what you decide to do

also, if by any slim chance you got sick...at least you would have a good idea of the likely cause and would get prompt treatment....something my sister did not get til she was really sick.

We went on the Belize cave tubing tour last August. I don't remember any bugs, but they do recommend repellent. Since you are in the water, it probably washes off, so you may want to bring the can with you. We were deferred from donating blood for 1 year because of this tour. Seems kind of silly, since I think we would have noticed having malaria before a year.

Like another poster stated - talk to you family doctor. MO is that it's good to get whatever immunizations you "might" need for a particular country.

What I just discovered was, which I thought was funny, that all the adverts above to your topic was for bug spray repellent. I guess there is a correlation to the topic and what gets advertised.

Check it out!

And no, I've never had Malaria.

I took the anti Malaria medication, about 10 years ago. I visited west Africa and it was required. I had to take 1 pill every week for 2 weeks before I left, 1 pill every week I was over there and a pill once a week for 2 weeks after I got back. I didn't notice any effects of the medication until the third week. I got dizzy and it lasted about 4 hours. After I got back to the States, I really didn't want to continue the medication but I knew I didn't want to get malaria so I took it and yes the dizzy spell returned but I don't have malaria. One pesky mosquito did bite me on my ankle. After my shower every day while I was in Africa, I lotioned my body with Avon's Skin So Soft and I also used "Deet" mosquito spray. Many Americans that live in Africa have malaria, I think they just stop taking the malaria medication after a while, I did see one episode of a malaria attack, it was not pretty.

Mr Pete, when I posted this originally I was blown away by the ads above!! Talk about Big Brother (cookies) I was glad you noticed it too, I was thinking paranoia might be a sign of malaria :D ads for mosquitos - wow.

Thanks for all the suggestions

We did the cave tubing in Belieze a few years ago. I spayed down with bug spray & my husband did not. I did not have a bite and my husband was covered with them on his legs. Fortunately he did not get any disesase but he sure was itchy for a few days.

From my personal exprience... I most whole heartly suggest you use bug spray with deet.

PS. We had the most awsome time cave tubing....but bites & all.

When my doctor found out we were going to Belize and Roatan last year, he insisted I get my butt in for the shots and pills. I took them and I have to get a booster for one of them this year and will never need to take it again. I took shots and pills for malaria, yellow fever and some other fever that I can't remember the name of. I don't remember any side affects from the meds.

As others have said we also used bug spray in Belize, but once you're in the river it does wash off. I would take the meds and shots because you just never know, especially if you're going to Central America.

I took the meds when we were on a bus tour in Africa, and never again. I got sick every time I took the pills, (lucky it was only once a week, but it wrecked my weekends for quite a while. We were in country for a week, so maybe bug stuff would handle one day. Good luck with your choice.

Hi, just wondering how many people took malaria meds before and for 4 weeks after travel. Did you get sick from the side effects of the meds?

And..... maybe your'e not alive to tell about it :rolleyes: , but did anyone ever contract it from traveling?

How many people have traveled to places where it might have been a concern and were fine?

Let me know because as usual, there is something else to be worried about! We will be on a 30 min hike to and from the caves in Belize, I am bringing tons of mosquito repellent but I need to know if this is enough.

I don't want to take the meds unless it is absolutely imperative.

I did take the Anti-malarial meds when I went to Africa and the Middle East. I didn't have any reaction to it but others in our group reported weird dreams that nite.

I have found the best source for information is the Health Department in your area. They really do a good job of keeping up on what is needed in other countries.

Norma

Archived