Hotel in Danbury CT before NY cruise

CHIPMUNKSMOM

:confused:I plan a night in hotel in the Danbury CT area, before a NCL Spirit cruise in August. I don't want to drive from Boston the morning of, to much to close up the house and get 15 and 82 YO's ready for an early morning drive. The prices don't seem to bad and the drive to the cruise terninal looks to be about an hour. Does this sound like a good choice??

Thanks All ;)

We have cruised out of NY and NJ many times and since we are from south of Boston, like to drive to the Stamford area the day prior to a cruise. We are sailing on the Liberty of the Seas in May and have booked the Fairfield Inn in Stamford, easy off and on Rt 95. From a dollars and cents point, it makes more sense than taking Amtrak from 128 Junction and taking a taxi cross town. We've done the bus to NY but prefer driving so we can leave NY on our schedule, not that of the bus company.

Darcy

I have booked a night in Danbury at the Courtyard by Marriott. Got a senior rate ( Mom's) for a total of $94.00 after taxes. I thought that was good. As far as the travel into NY ,with it being a Sunday Morning I hope to not have as much of a rush hour to battle. Thanks again for all the input.:p

I live in CT. This might be easier than staying in Danbury since you are heading West from Boston only to have to go South and then West again. You are zig zagging. Check the map, you'll see what I mean.

If you aren't driving or can avoid driving, you can take Amtrak out of Boston & go directly to Penn Station in NY. From there (assuming you are going out of NY & not Brooklyn?), its like a 10 minute cab ride to the pier.

Thanks All for the input. I will stick to the CT hotel for now. The train is to costly and to get to and from boston with an 82 and 15 YO will be a bit much and then to taxi it to the port. Cost and convience would be sacrificed. I can cancel the hotel without penalty if I change my mind.

Again THANKS !!!:)

• 1 month later...
Stamford and Danbury are next to each other. Stamford is the more crowded city in my opinion but its better for the train....

Stamford an Darien are next to each other, not Danbury. It can take 45 mins to get to Danbury from Stamford, depending on traffic on Rte. 7.

Basically it is a choice of driving on I-84 entirely through CT or I-84 to I-91 to either the Merrit Parkway (15) or I-95. A plus with the parkway is no trucks.

Being from the Stamford area, either Stamford or Danbury are convenient, both being pretty equidistant to the pier. Both have many hotels, each have a mall and multiple dining choices.

Arriving in Stamford should be done between 10am and 2 pm to avoid traffic or after 6:30pm.

Be sure to wait until after rush hour, around 9:30am , to leave for the pier if leaving on a weekday. If leaving on a weekend, you should find it to be a quick trip.

Norwalk is also a possibility..there is a Double Tree hotel which is very nice, located near I-95, for a quick on/off. Rates are normally between 100-130/night

Have a great time,

Laura

Archived