AA TrAAvel Perks

Whimsy

Has anyone ever bought AA Traavel Perks. It says for $134 a year the benefits are:

$400 Airfare Savings

You save $100 per ticket when you purchase tickets for you and a companion off any published fare ($200 savings per trip). As a member, you can take benefit twice each year for a total savings of $400. You can get your first of two online redemption codes as soon as you join.

2,500 American Airlines AAdvantage® Bonus Miles

You will automatically receive 2,500 AAdvantage bonus miles posted into your account when you purchase your TrAAvel Perks membership — a $72 value. Complimentary Admirals Club® Day Pass

Relax in the comfort of one of our airport lounges while you wait for your flight. Enjoy complimentary snacks and soft drinks or purchase a beverage from our fully stocked bar. A $50 value. Discounts & Special Offers from Participants

You'll also receive great benefits from companies such as Alamo, National, Budget, Wyndham and Hyatt. And if that's not enough, enjoy member-only discounts on off-site airport parking, event and movie tickets and even golf tee times. 30-Day Free Trial — Money-Back Guarantee

If in the first 30 days after purchasing your membership in the TrAAvel Perks program, you are not completely satisfied, and you have not used any of the benefits, we will fully refund your money.

Since I have to buy tickets for air for our cruise in September I was just wondering if anyone has bought this and if it was worth buying.

I am not tying to advertise so I hope it is allowed. If not, will a moderator please delete this post.

I love the refund language:

If in the first 30 days after purchasing your membership in the TrAAvel Perks program, you are not completely satisfied, and you have not used any of the benefits, we will fully refund your money.

How will you know if you are satisfied if you haven't used a benefit? And if you used a benefit and weren't satisfied, too bad!

Reading through the offers, it seems that you can use one discount in the first six months of membership and the other in the second six months. There isn't the REAL fine print for you to check out (or I didn't see it) so you may get caught in some "gotcha" down the road. The value of the 2500 FF miles is likely closer to the metric of 2 cents/mile unless you are using them for international biz. ($74 what AA sells them for). There's a fast track for Hyatt status (3 stays for Platinum) and some bonus mileage offers. It has an automatic renewal feature you should be aware of.

I defer to greatam on AA issues, but I would surmise that AA wouldn't put its name on a scam. If the benefits fit you (two pax travelling together on the same itinerary, available twice a year in two separate 6 mos. periods), it's looks like a decent investment. One more thing - the price doesn't include a 7.5% tax.

I know that in the past that Continental used to sell a similar type of package. I'm not sure if they currently are any longer though.

Since I was a frequent Continental flyer I thought about purchasing the package but just couldn't justify it at that time.

These are legit packages and just another way for the airlines to drum up some revenue.

Unless you plan on flying AA again within the membership term, it would be a waste of money.

Reasons:

$200 discount that costs $134. You really only save $66.00

2500 miles are NOT worth the membership. First, if you don't fly AA enough to use them, they are totally useless. AND you can get 20-25,000 free miles by opening a Citibank credit card or checking account and free miles lots of other ways.

Depending on the airport you are flying from, the lounge pass may or may not be used. I am an Admiral's Club member and fly out of Phoenix frequently. I also fly into and out of Lima, Peru 4 times per year. AA closed the AC's in Phoenix and Lima. So only three places I fly frequently have AC's- JFK, Kansas City, and Dallas (and DFW is just a transit point). If your flights are close together, you will not have time to go to the AC.

All the other stuff is just coupons, discount codes, etc. The same discounts can be found other places.

As a VERY frequent AA flier, I haven't spent the money for a membership and do not plan to. I just can't see the value.

Archived