single cabins

earl_m

Are there any single cabins on the QE2. I know there on the the QE1

Yes there are - they go from compact but comfortable inside singles to spacious Grill singles - unlike the QM2 who can only offer doubles for single occupancy.

I read somewhere that there are about 100 single cabins including all categories. Sounds like a lot but I believe that's about right. Mauretania class has many outside and inside singles on various decks.

Patti

118, to be precise.

ranging from MI (just large enough to swing a gerbil) on decks 1-5 to the aforementioned Queens' Grill singles, which are amply large enough to swing an ocelot, on Boat deck to 2 deck.

Matthew

Better a MI on QE2 than one of those D range cabins on QM2 eh?

I had to get my brochure out to check what a "D range" cabin was:o They look just like any hotel bedroom without the window, nothing special at all - you wouldn't even know that you were at sea. I did notice one thing though - on page 166 it shows a photograph of a standard outside cabin. The porthole is directly over the head of the bed. On the QE2 all the beds run along the length of the ship to minimise any feeling of a rough sea whilst in bed. This can't be the case on the QM2. What's it like to be in a heavy sea in one of those cabins?

I had to get my brochure out to check what a "D range" cabin was:o They look just like any hotel bedroom without the window, nothing special at all - you wouldn't even know that you were at sea. I did notice one thing though - on page 166 it shows a photograph of a standard outside cabin. The porthole is directly over the head of the bed. On the QE2 all the beds run along the length of the ship to minimise any feeling of a rough sea whilst in bed. This can't be the case on the QM2. What's it like to be in a heavy sea in one of those cabins?

Well at least counting the bruises would take your mind off the heavy seas!

Matthew

Last year in October I had a single Queens Grill guestroom and I loved it. Cabin was an original first class stateroom with wood paneling. Very comfortable queensize bed and wonderful large new bathroom.

I felt very happy there.:):)

I have not tried one of those sideways cabins on the QM2 but had one on the NCL Majesty during a pretty rough ride out of Charleston. NC two years ago. Sort of like an amusement ride as one gets tossed both forward and back and also side to side. If you enjoy the blood rushing to your head and the feeling of going over backwards I recommend it. Otherwise maybe not.

Last year in October I had a single Queens Grill guestroom and I loved it. Cabin was an original first class stateroom with wood paneling. Very comfortable queensize bed and wonderful large new bathroom.

I felt very happy there.:):)

I've had a great time in 2070 on my first crossing. It was nice to have a larger bed than a single.

Matthew

britannia grade the only time i was on qe2 before. next one on the tandem crossing i have 5019 which is stoill a farly large for a single, anyone been on 5 deck before as hear that if its rough the portholes will be locked making it an inside!!! i don't book an outside if i cannot see anything.

dave

britannia grade the only time i was on qe2 before. next one on the tandem crossing i have 5019 which is stoill a farly large for a single, anyone been on 5 deck before as hear that if its rough the portholes will be locked making it an inside!!! i don't book an outside if i cannot see anything.

dave

I would expect that the deadlights will be over the portholes - it is highly likely on a January transatlantic.

Matthew

are they covers over the portholes?

dave

Yes. Booking a deck 5 outside cabin will always be a risk on a transatlantic - especially so in January - that these will be closed.

Occasionally at the very front of deck 4, and (I've heard) deck 3 these are closed to.

Bear in mind that in a really heavy sea water - not just spray - can go right over the Bridge!

Matthew

oslo dutch which QG single cabin did you have on your Oct QE2 cruise? I am back onboard in October this year and have booked cabin 1032 - have you had this cabin before? I have previously had 2070, 2063 & 1086 all very nice cabins,

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Yes. Booking a deck 5 outside cabin will always be a risk on a transatlantic - especially so in January - that these will be closed

Matthew

After I booked my deck 5 cabin right at the front, I realised there could be a problem with the porthole being covered.

I am just working on the principle, its unlikely (though possible) going to Iceland (in June - looks like we sneak out past the top of scotland and make a dash across the atlantic to Rekjavik, rather than go past cornwall and take the full atlantic route - though having said that I am no longer sure where I got that idea from:confused: - ah yes that website that shows the virtual cruise that was posted on here some time back))), hopefully when going round Iceland it will be less likely, then when we get to Norway its 'inland' going up all those fjords, so hopefully I will get some use from it:D

This is my first foray into outside cabins, and decided to go with it cos of the 'midnight sun' - now of course I have realised this could be a problem - hope I am able to get to sleep:D

Karen

This is my first foray into outside cabins, and decided to go with it cos of the 'midnight sun' - now of course I have realised this could be a problem - hope I am able to get to sleep:D

I have never been in a cabin and had the porthole covered (I'm not sure if I've ever been in an outside cabin on deck five though;) ). If you're going to see the midnight sun your sleep will be very disturbed anyway as you won't be getting to bed until the early hours of the morning.:)

I have never been in a cabin and had the porthole covered (I'm not sure if I've ever been in an outside cabin on deck five though;) ). If you're going to see the midnight sun your sleep will be very disturbed anyway as you won't be getting to bed until the early hours of the morning.:)

I had tremendous trouble in the Midnight Sun. Curtains didn't reach the floor, and there was a gap of a couple of inches. Bedroom bathed in light the whole time - awful.

The next occasion was fine. Full curtains which, with a modicum of care, left the bedroom nice and dark.

One was Queen Elizabeth 2 - designed for the North Atlantic. The other was Midnatsol - designed for Norwegian operation.

Interestingly, it was Midnatsol that was poor in this regard!

Matthew

Archived