Recommendations for Private Tour companies in ISP?

Boo's Mom

There are a few here, here are a couple fishing/whale watching charters

http://dreamfishalaska.com/

http://tokriver.com/pages/1/index.htm

If you are looking for a road tour, bears, wildlife, etc. There are 2 independents booking through the Galley restaurant, to book ahead you can call them at 907 945-3777. Bob and Pat have been Hoonah residents for many years.

Bob and Pat are doing the road tours out of the Galley restuarnt. Both really great guys, they are driving 7 passenger vans, and are willing to go where the customers want to go, and are determined to find bear! Bob said last summer he managed to spot at least one bear every trip out. I think most of their tours run 3-4 hours. I hope that helps.

And yes, Dream Fish is a charter here in Hoonah, but I try to stay neutral and just make sure all charters get listed. I think most of the charter captains that are here live here year round. Everyone here had successful trips last summer, by that I mean everyone that went out had a great time!

Hoonah is a place for water tours IMO - seeing 1 bear briefly in 4 hours of driving through the forest is not my idea of a good trip. I met a family of 4 last year who had booked a fishing trip with the cruise line, and were they choked - 4 hours floating a few hundred yards from the dock and nobody caught anything :(

Murray

I have gone with Teckk Outfitters, excellent. What tours are you looking for??Is Dream Fish a tour operator??
Yes, DreamFish was very nice on the phone when he booked my fishing charter just the other day. I\'d be happy to post a review after our trip with him in June if anyone is interested.

How rough is the water around ISP? Any problems with sea-sickness? In the photos, the water looked pretty smooth.

Its an intricate coastline, with plenty of options for both sheltered and open water. If you go open and it gets rough its easy to duck into sheltered waters.

Murray

I always thought I'd be sick before anyone, and knock on wood I haven't been sea sick since we've lived here, so I was surprised when we'd get a person on board who got a little sick. Most will take something prior to going out on the water if there was even a remote chance of getting sick and they said that helped. Since we don't tend to fish too far out of town, we always give the option to drop someone off back at the dock. (no one took us up on that last year) But most days are quit nice out in Icy Strait, and if it's too rough there Frederick Sound is usually calm enough to fish in.

Hello,

Thank you for the information. I looked at the websites listed, but did not really see one that spoke specifically of whale watching. We are not fishers, so don't really have an interest in fishing, but would really like to take a smaller tour for whale watching. Any suggestions?

Hello,

Thank you for the information. I looked at the websites listed, but did not really see one that spoke specifically of whale watching. We are not fishers, so don't really have an interest in fishing, but would really like to take a smaller tour for whale watching. Any suggestions?

http://www.visithoonah.com/fishes/

Hello,

I think F.I.S.H.E.S. only does whale watching. Both Tok River and Dream Fish Charters do whale watching even though they advertise fishing, and in Tok River his website is mostly bear hunting. It's best to either email or call the charters, most will go out of their way to accomodate the clients.

There is a huge advantage to going with a dedicated whale watch such as FISHES - not only is his focus on where the whales are, but he has a hydrophone, which is hugely cool when a whale is singing nearby! ( http://www.visithoonah.com/fishes/ )

Murray

Thank you for the help! I have emailed F.I.S.H.E.S. to see about scheduling during our cruise. This would be our first time scheduling an excursion not affiliated with the cruise. I know I am being over-paranoid, but, is there ever a problem getting back on time in Hoonah?

Thanks again!

Thank you for the help! I have emailed F.I.S.H.E.S. to see about scheduling during our cruise. This would be our first time scheduling an excursion not affiliated with the cruise. I know I am being over-paranoid, but, is there ever a problem getting back on time in Hoonah?

Thanks again!

Anita, I have booked many private excursions, and have always gotten back in time. They know that their business will suffer if people don't get to the ship. Just make sure they know when you have to be back, and they will get you there.;)

Archived