Velvet Poll: when is it good/not good ?

lh9789

Velvet always seems like an easy fabric to dress up or down. But is it seasonal? What if you are cruising in summer but the weather is cool? And are some colors more seasonal than others? Polling for all opinions, thanks!

For me, and just for me, velvet is a beautiful fabric and can be made into beautiful attire. If the outfit is totally velvet, it might be a little warm for a tropical cruise. There is not much breathing room within velvet. But if the outfit is just semi-velvet, I think the effect can be very dramatic.

THIS IS JUST FROM ME!!

Frankly, I LOVE velvet! especially black!!. It just flows so beautifully!!

Unfortunately, It seems that it is only fashionable from about November to late February.

I have some gorgeous gowns, but sadly--I only wear them in winter!

Does not have to be your choice--but that's mine (at least for now!)

LOL, no, not from any velvet promoter...I DO like the fabric, but am just not sure what the "rules" are. Let's say it's after Easter and you are cruising to Alaska, Scandinavia, the Antarctic or any place reputed to have a cooler climate. Is velvet okay for those destinations? If so, in what form: head-to-toe, or separates, or if balanced by lots of skin showing, etc.

Is it just for formal wear? What about a green velvet top with traditional shirt-styling worn open with another top underneath, would that considered only for winter?

LOL, no, not from any velvet promoter...I DO like the fabric, but am just not sure what the "rules" are. Let's say it's after Easter and you are cruising to Alaska, Scandinavia, the Antarctic or any place reputed to have a cooler climate. Is velvet okay for those destinations? If so, in what form: head-to-toe, or separates, or if balanced by lots of skin showing, etc.

Is it just for formal wear? What about a green velvet top with traditional shirt-styling worn open with another top underneath, would that considered only for winter?

Wear it girl, wear it. I may wear a very vibrant (blues and blacks) colored light wt. velvet jacket, black top underneath, with dressy black slacks and it will look great !! And I get so cold in the dining room, that it will feel perfect. gg

Velvet is considered a "heavy" fabric and those fabrics are usually used in cooler climates. If you are planning on Alaska or the like, I think Velvet would be very elegant and classy (as long as it is not expected to be over 65 degrees). Anything over 65 degrees may be too hot for you.

The same applies to velvet accents. If you wear something that has just a partial velvet section, I would also suggest that only cooler climates will it seem appropriate.

Keep in mind that it is not only how you feel in velvet, but also about how the climate is and what other people are wearing. For example, I would probably not see velvet on my Caribbean cruise, but in Alaska, it may be commonplace and totally acceptable.

Of course, this is totally in my opinion.

Velvet is considered a "heavy" fabric and those fabrics are usually used in cooler climates. If you are planning on Alaska or the like, I think Velvet would be very elegant and classy (as long as it is not expected to be over 65 degrees). Anything over 65 degrees may be too hot for you.

The same applies to velvet accents. If you wear something that has just a partial velvet section, I would also suggest that only cooler climates will it seem appropriate.

Keep in mind that it is not only how you feel in velvet, but also about how the climate is and what other people are wearing. For example, I would probably not see velvet on my Caribbean cruise, but in Alaska, it may be commonplace and totally acceptable.

Of course, this is totally in my opinion.

Velvet would work for Alaska in the earlier May cruises but Alaska does warm up, so no I would not wear it on a July Alaska cruise, unless as the OP said it is just a small amount of velvet trim, or possibly a velvet wrap or shrug.

I'll be wearing my forest green velvet cocktail dress on our Alaskan cruise in late September. I know this may be a horrible fashion sin, but I'm willing to chance it since it travels great.

You know what, it will be perfect. Dressy, lovely, appropriate, and will feel great in Sept. weather. Plus, I usually find the dining room pretty chilly. You will be dressed beautifully. :) gg

I have a deep purple dress with spag. straps and I love it. I wore mine over the Holidays in the Caribbean. IMO I don't really think it matters much at all, just depends how you feel in it.

I don't get all wrapped up in the white issue after September and not before Easter either.

On the NCl Dream this past February, I wore a deep blue velvet cocktail dress with silver shoes and I must say I looked excellent. The dining rooms are cold and I was comfortable, more than I would have been in a strapless, thin silk dress. I got a lot of compliments so I think it was a winner.

Barb

I have a few velvet pieces and generally only wear them for holiday celebrations in the winter. They are all black, perhaps a different color would seem less holiday-ish to me.

where I live a burgandy, red, or dark green is "Holidayish" but black is worn all winter for dressy events. (at least by women in my age bracket-younger women have on their jeans-even for the symphony)

I have a few velvet pieces and generally only wear them for holiday celebrations in the winter. They are all black, perhaps a different color would seem less holiday-ish to me.

Here, we have had several days this month, no higher then 50 and lows of 30. Now I would not do it, but my daughter pulled out her velvet and boots both. she told me she was not going to freeze to death that I could if I wanted!

Not that I did, my silk, cotton, and cashmere blend sweathers kept me warm with a scarf and my leather coat,maybe my feet were a little cold, but I still refuse to wear boots in April!

Velvet is appropriate from Thanksgiving to Valentines Day in cooler climates.

Yup!

Sometimes I've stretched the season a bit til end of February if it's really cold here in NY. But once March 1st comes around, they get packed away.

Velvet is not for cruises and looks ridiculous IMHO in tropical climates. Since you'll never be cruising Alaska in the winter months, it's not a great choice for that either.

We wear clothes that are appropriate to the outdoor climate we're in, not for indoor climate. If that were the case, I'd be in linen and sandals in January, because all the homes and restaurants I go to have heat. ;)

Archived