Belize, Lamanai and the New River Safari -- The Complete Story and On-line Video

chesterh

Chesterh,

I just got back from my cruise, which included Belize. My husband and I did this same tour and your video just really captures the whole experience perfectly. This is a great video to show family and friends who can get a better idea as to what one did on vacation. Thanks!

Chesterh,

I just got back from my cruise, which included Belize. My husband and I did this same tour and your video just really captures the whole experience perfectly. This is a great video to show family and friends who can get a better idea as to what one did on vacation. Thanks!

We took this tour several weeks ago on our Explorer cruise. While the tour itself was very good I must warn people about the humidty. My husband and I are from Phoenix so the humidity we experienced during this tour was almost unbearable. How we didn't have heat stroke I'll never know. Thank goodness we took towels from our room to wipe ourselves down with. The tour guide was also very good at providing cold water to drink.

So if you are used to a drier climate you may want to stick to water activities on your trip to Belize. Especially if you travel their during the summer months.

Hi Moonstoners,

The boat we took was not wheelchair accessible. (steps into the boat, narrow isle, narrow bench space) Nor were the docks, at both ends of the river there were steps to climb into and out of the boat. Nor do I believe was there anywhere to stow the wheelchair on the boat- other than on a seat, but it would not be tied down and the speeds they take on the winding river would make an unrestrained wheelchair a menace.

Having said all that perhaps it would be better to check with them,,perhaps they have some accomodations I didn't see.

Su

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you (twice), Kristy. I’m glad I actually used the video camera on this trip – usually I just end up carrying it around and shooting a few seconds of useless material. This time, though, I got the whole thing. It is fun to relive the trip…

TamaLee – I’ve always heard “It ain’t the heat, it’s the humidity.” Then someone told me that the notion was silly, and I should go to Phoenix some day. “One-hundred and twenty is hot, no matter what,” he said. Being from the humid Northeast, Lamanai felt like a typical triple-H (hazy, hot and humid) summer’s afternoon. Guess I’d do fine in Phoenix…

Moonstoners, BobbieSu’s answer is “spot on.” It is certainly worth asking the tour operators – the excursion should not be missed if accommodation can be made.

Looks like Belize is going to be spared the worst of Wilma. Good thing – a big tidal surge would probably make it all the way to Lamanai.

BTW, the story of the Lamanai trip is now memorialized in the new cruise book, What Time Is the Midnight Buffet?

All the best,

chesterh

• 9 years later...

Hi,

Loved your video and all the info. I have a couple more questions. My husband will be 3 months post spinal fusion at the time of our cruise. His surgeon has already said that he would probably not be able to ride a small choppy ocean snorkeling boat. But I think as long as the bus ride and river boat are not seriously rough, he may still be able to do this. From the look of the video, the river boat ride was very smooth. From what you said above, the hike doesn't sound to be overly strenuous. Am I correct in assuming that most of the hike is a fairly flat, smooth trail. I am not worried about uphill/downhill, but more about uneven rocky areas that could cause someone to stumble or twist a limb. Also how rough are the roads? I am not excepting smooth paved highways, after all we are from Illinois, our roads are pretty rough. Just if they are mostly smooth.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.