Overnight stay in Cairo or by the Pyramids??

Sandy R

I've read all the posts and they are very informative... thanks to all.

Next year, we will be overnighting in Port Said/Alexandria and will be contacting DeCastro this summer. I would love some cruisecritic input on the benefits of staying overnight in Cairo vs. the Pyramids.

Posters have talked about the Le Meridian Hotel at the Pyramids and the Conrad Hilton in Cairo... are there any other hotels that have been offered by De Castro?

Thanks for any information... I'm just beginning my research and feel like a newby as far as Egypt goes.

Sandy

Le Meridien or Oberoi Mena House by the pyramids -- vs. Nile Hilton or other Nileside hotel in Cairo? A toughie!

We stayed by the pyramids. It is spectacular to see those great monuments looming up through the dawn light! Check our pictures at

Egypt Trip

The big advantage of the Nile Hilton is that you just walk across the street for a Nile cruise or felucca sail, and even more important, just around the corner to the Egyptian Museum. With a limited time in Cairo, you want to get to the Museum as early as possible to avoid the crowds. This time, when we return to Egypt from a cruise ship, we will stay at the Nile Hilton for that reason.

With only one night, you just have to make a choice ... and save the other one for your return to Egypt!!:D

Have a GREAT cruise!

Le Meridien or Oberoi Mena House by the pyramids -- vs. Nile Hilton or other Nileside hotel in Cairo? A toughie!

We stayed by the pyramids. It is spectacular to see those great monuments looming up through the dawn light! Check our pictures at

Egypt Trip

The big advantage of the Nile Hilton is that you just walk across the street for a Nile cruise or felucca sail, and even more important, just around the corner to the Egyptian Museum. With a limited time in Cairo, you want to get to the Museum as early as possible to avoid the crowds. This time, when we return to Egypt from a cruise ship, we will stay at the Nile Hilton for that reason.

With only one night, you just have to make a choice ... and save the other one for your return to Egypt!!:D

Have a GREAT cruise!

great advice...., the Mena House Oberoi was King Farouks hunting palace, and is magnificiant,to roll over in your bed in the morning and to see the Pryiamids looming up out of the mist is a sight to behold but, can I add the Marriott Omar Kayyham which was his Cairo residence to your list of choices.....Although a few minutes walk further away than the Hilton., how many times in your life do you have a chance to stay in a palace? ! The old royal reception rooms in the hotel which you can waunder around and visit are amazing. The modern tower part of the hotel was nearing completion of a huge renovation project when I was there in September. Both have great web sites you can find by searching google under their names.

Its a fantastic country., even one night there which ever hotel you choose will be an experience you will always treasure.

Have a great trip!

I echo the recommendation of the Cairo Marriot (although it is not technically in Cairo--but across the bridge from it). The restaurants in that place were great (and they have a great nile dinner cruise)! The area has lots of shopping near by and is an easy and cheap cab ride to all over Cairo.

It's a tough choice deciding where to stay. When we were there in 2001 we split up our stay choosing to stay 3 days in Cairo on arrival and 3 day in Giza before departure. There is more night life and coming and going late into the night in Cairo, while Giza on the other hand was relatively quite at night. Again tough choice. Life should not be so difficult! :)

Enjoy your stay!

We loved staying in the Mena House, by the Pyramids--they are so close it is almost unbelievable.

But, especially if you are doing Cairo on your own, I'm sure a more centrally located hotel, such as the Hilton or Marriot would be more convenient. They would also have more nightlife--not a biggie for us--and being right on the Nile would be splendid as well.

But still--I wouldn't give up the grandeur of being RIGHT THERE--with the pyramids filling the sky. If we go back to Egypt--and we will, it is unforgettable--we will stay in the Mena House again.

Archived