Carnival ground transportation, a mistake?

Janespup

Hi everyone,

When I booked my cruise, I also booked round trip ground transportation from Fort Lauderdale Airport to Miami port. I have just now read on Carnival website that the shuttle service doesn't begin until 11:30 am, although my plane arrives before 10. I certainly did not plan to spend 90 minutes at the airport waiting for the bus to fill up! Has anyone had any experience with this? Will they leave earlier if full? Can I cancel the shuttle and get other transportation that could be cheaper and/or quicker? Thanks in advance.

Jane

Hi Jane,

We booked the same thing and will be there earlier also. I really don't want to wait around either, but I don't think they will leave much earlier than that because they are telling people to meet by the baggage claim at 11:00. By the time they make sure everyone is on the ship's manifest and make sure you have your cabin # on the luggage, it will be almost 11:30 or so. From what I understand, it is greyhound bus so it will take awhile to fill.

We felt that it was the safest way to ensure that we were in Carnival's hands in case of a delay. Maybe the ship woud wait if a carnival bus is delayed as opposed to another type of shuttle or taxi.

We used the same type of transport on NCL and I don't think that we left much earlier then either.

I just saw where someone said to skip the bus. I guess you could call carnival but I didn't think the shuttle was refundable this close to sailing. It's worth a try though. A taxi would be more expensive I believe it was something like$70-$80. We paid $60 for the two of us on the shuttle.

Luanne

Did you buy your airfare through Carnival? If so, the shuttle transport is included in the cost. It may [and I can't stress that enough] leave a little earlier. Other transportations options are available at the East Coast Departures board here at CruiseCritic

Hi Jane, I just found this on the FLL airport website. It's $1 pp cheaper than the Carnival shuttle and looks like if you arrive and get your luggage by 10 you might get to leave 30-60 minutes earlier. Good luck whatever you decide.

Luanne

$29.00 Fort Lauderdale

Airport Shuttle

Express Shuttle Service to

Port of Miami

All inclusive rate!

(One way rate per person)

minimum 2 passengers

Price includes everything: door to door service, gratuity for driver,

fuel surcharges, Port and Airport

pick up fees.

(Shuttles depart from Fort Lauderdale Airport every 30 minutes)

*Group discounts available

for 4+ passengers, private rides also available!

We have the Carnival transportation booked from Orlando to Port Canaveral. Our plane arrives pretty early in the morning on the day of our cruise. I don't like airports enough to hang around in one for a couple hours waiting for a bus to fill up. We've secured a private shuttle to the port. I'll make sure to let the Carnival rep know that we won't be using their transport.

Unfortunately there was a thread on here a few weeks ago about a cruiser who says the ship left her and 16 other people, though they were on a Carnival Shuttle bus and got there 10 minutes late. So I don't know about the ship waiting just because your on a Carnival shuttle. You may want to search for that thread. The woman did get a refund and a future cruise credit, but she endured alot of stress beforehand. Good luck!

I also am flying into Fort Lauderdale but sailing from Miami we are a family of 5 so 30.00 pp adds up fast. I contacted budget car rental got a suv for 70.00 with tax and fees now I am flying in a day early but that doesnt matter. I do have to return the car at the Miami airport in the morning but they shuttle us for FREE to the port of Miami. I also did the same thing after the cruise they will pick us up FREE and we will drive back to Fort Lauderdale to catch our flight at 4:00 that same day (cost for the return is 74.00 must be busy that day). This gives us the freedom to get brunch or whatever before heading back to the airport and a savings of 80.00 each way for our family

I highly doubt by taking another means of transportation will be worth losing the money that you have already paid for at this point. You will either be waiting at the airport or at the pier to get on the ship. I would stick with what you have. Of course if the bus gets filled they will leave sooner but it doesn't mean you will get on the ship sooner once you arrive. Have a great cruise. :)

no to freek any one out ,but we have done the carnival transfer twice from fll to miami,and it is really unorganized going to port and even worse coming home.

it just takes along time to get on the buses.and the carnival reps dont seem to now when or were the buses will arrive.

they will get you there but just be ready for the wait,

the only other thing that buged me was that the driver does not work for carnival ,and when you get to the miami air port he is very stern about people waiting on the bus until he unloads your luggage.now the reason he does this is that he arranges the bags in a way that theres a path between the luggage that walks you rite buy were he is standing with his hand out for a tip.

if you dont get the hint he will tell you that a tip is expected.

i always tip but dont loke being told when and were to do it.

now that you now what to exspect you can just go with it and have a great time,

again i hope i didnt scare anyone im just trying to help.

have fun:D

no to freek any one out ,but we have done the carnival transfer twice from fll to miami,and it is really unorganized going to port and even worse coming home.

it just takes along time to get on the buses.and the carnival reps dont seem to now when or were the buses will arrive.

they will get you there but just be ready for the wait,

the only other thing that buged me was that the driver does not work for carnival ,and when you get to the miami air port he is very stern about people waiting on the bus until he unloads your luggage.now the reason he does this is that he arranges the bags in a way that theres a path between the luggage that walks you rite buy were he is standing with his hand out for a tip.

if you dont get the hint he will tell you that a tip is expected.

i always tip but dont loke being told when and were to do it.

now that you now what to exspect you can just go with it and have a great time,

again i hope i didnt scare anyone im just trying to help.

have fun:D

Out of Miami, Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale, and LA ports, Miami is the pushiest on tips and the porters make it clear to you that they are the last ones to see your bags so tip well, of course you normally have to listen to a story of putting the grandkid thru college first or some story like that so be prepared.

We are a family of five trying to find transportation from LaGuardia airport in New York to the Manhattan cruise terminal. What a PAIN! Taxis and minivan taxis cannot accommodate all of us plus luggage so we are trying to find some kind of Ground transportation that can get us to the ship!! We were told only a limo would do and I just can't believe that we have to hire a very expensive limo to get us about 8 miles from the airport to the ship! I called Carnival to see if they offer a shuttle and they were worse than the LIMO rates!! Very frustrated at this point.........!!

You can take 2 cabs. It will work out cheaper then the limo service.

We considered this but the local New Yorkers say that for the two cabs to be able to stay together or follow each other in NYC would be next to impossible and then the Manhattan Pier is crowded and crazy enough and that we would have a very hard time finding each other in the chaos. We have to all check in together. Also, we have two children and I'm just not comfortable being separated either from them.....or my husband. Arghhhhh.....I just can't believe they don't have some kind of shuttle or something!

Thank you anyway for the suggestion. If the five of us were all adults, I wouldnt have a problem with it since we could just locate each other somehow by cellphone.

We considered this but the local New Yorkers say that for the two cabs to be able to stay together or follow each other in NYC would be next to impossible and then the Manhattan Pier is crowded and crazy enough and that we would have a very hard time finding each other in the chaos. We have to all check in together. Also, we have two children and I'm just not comfortable being separated either from them.....or my husband. Arghhhhh.....I just can't believe they don't have some kind of shuttle or something!

Thank you anyway for the suggestion. If the five of us were all adults, I wouldnt have a problem with it since we could just locate each other somehow by cellphone.

They have plenty of Van cabs that can take 6 people, you just have to grab one of those...

We did the Carnival shuttle on our Pride cruise, and I won't do it again. It's usually just as cheap to use other private shuttles or taxis, and you get there much earlier since you don't have to wait for the bus to fill up before leaving.

Our experience was not typical, because the Pride was late getting into Long Beach on the cruise before ours, due to a medical emergency onboard. We sat at the airport for hours, because the Carnival shuttles had to first get all the passengers from the previous cruise from port to airport before picking us up to take us to the port. The Pride left 2 hours later than scheduled, and we were among the last 50 people to board.

It seems like there are lots of stories of similar situations with Carnival shuttles. For me, a private shuttle or taxi is the way to go.

To the OP: if you have already paid for the Carnival shuttle, you may be stuck with it. Good luck, and I hope you have a fun cruise! :)

We did the Carnival shuttle on our Pride cruise, and I won't do it again. It's usually just as cheap to use other private shuttles or taxis, and you get there much earlier since you don't have to wait for the bus to fill up before leaving.

Our experience was not typical, because the Pride was late getting into Long Beach on the cruise before ours, due to a medical emergency onboard. We sat at the airport for hours, because the Carnival shuttles had to first get all the passengers from the previous cruise from port to airport before picking us up to take us to the port. The Pride left 2 hours later than scheduled, and we were among the last 50 people to board.

It seems like there are lots of stories of similar situations with Carnival shuttles. For me, a private shuttle or taxi is the way to go.

To the OP: if you have already paid for the Carnival shuttle, you may be stuck with it. Good luck, and I hope you have a fun cruise! :)

I was told by posters here that you can take your unused shuttle tickets to the Purser's Desk for OBC. I haven't tried it yet, but hopefully it'll work! :)

They have plenty of Van cabs that can take 6 people, you just have to grab one of those...

Well I know they can take the five of us.....but just didnt know if they can take the five of us PLUS five LARGE rolling suitcases for the cruise. Does anyone know??

Thank you, everyone, for your replys. I guess I was right in assuming that booking ground transportation through Carnival was a mistake. If it is the only error I make re: this trip, I will be lucky. Next time, I'll just catch a cab.

Jane

DH and I just took Carnival shuttle from Tampa airport to Port of Tampa for Inspiration cruise and it went very well. We actually got in on Wed and took cab to our hotel and back Thurs morning. We were told to meet at 11am and we were on bus, at pier and onboard by noon having lunch on Lido deck. When we went back we were off ship at 9am, on bus and back to airport by 10am. No problems either way. Neither time did the bus wait until it was full. There were more on board going back to airport, but only took a few minutes to board those who went. We would have no problem booking them again.

Hi everyone,

I certainly did not plan to spend 90 minutes at the airport waiting for the bus to fill up! Has anyone had any experience with this? Will they leave earlier if full? Can I cancel the shuttle and get other transportation that could be cheaper and/or quicker? Thanks in advance.

Jane

I suppose you could cancel... but call Carnival and ask... don't believe the folks on this board... they are not the one's who will be refunding your money.

But if you can not get a refund, I would stick with the transport.

In addition... I believe FLL to MIA Port is $60 to $70.

From FLL to MIA... I would op for the Carnival Bus. Just bring a book or a MP3 Player... and relax... you are on vacation...:)

Had a bad experience with a bus driver on the way back from the airport in Fort lauderdale. He misplaced my bag and he wouldnt let me look for it. He was rude and said i had to wait until all the bags were unloaded after he had already passed my terminal drop-off. He locked everyone on the bus until he unloaded every bag.

Hi i have used carnivals bus several times with no problems.As someone stated you may have to wait to get on the ship any way so if you are at the airport early by the time you get your luggage,find the bus,and take a breath and settle in the bus seat ....you will be at the port.

I have flown into FLL many times for cruises departing from port of Miami, and have used Carnival the first few times. I am getting ready to take my 19th cruise in 8 years and can give you some first hand advice. At the airport, you will notice other people with your ships tags on their luggage. Ask some of them if they would mind sharing a cab or shuttle van. I use only a cab or van on the front half, or going from a/p to dock, and have NEVER paid more than $25 TOTAL for 4 or 5 people. You will get to the ship in about 15 minutes and be on board or checking in most likely before the Carnival bus has even left the airport.

Now I do not recommend this on your return trip to the airport, unless you have a later flight in the afternoon, because the cabbies can not promise you that you will make the flight where as Carnival will. Good luck and have fun!

Archived