Old lahaina Luau and car rental

crusader

I will be on the POH and want to know if anyone knows where one can park their car back at the ship later in the evening after the luau

I had seen a posting about two one day rentals. Do you think that is the best way. Can one just park the car at the rental place and pick it up the next day.

Has anyone done either.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Many years ago on our first Independence cruise, we rented a car on Maui where we overnited. It was through the ship and the rental company allowed us to park the car at the airport, think it was $4. Not sure if any of them do that anymore, but I was wondering if you couldn't do short term parking at the airport. You might not be able to get a shuttle back, but you should be able to find a taxi. Of course maybe the rental company would allow you to park the car on their lot overnite????

crusader: I too was worried about find a place to park when returning late from the luau. I decided to give the local Thrifty office a call to talk with them about it. They were GREAT - everyone has been SO pleasant to deal with in Hawaii! According to the lovely young lady I spoke with - Thrifty is open from 5:30am until 10:30pm, she said to attempt to park near pier when we get back from Luau that night - if that doesn't work, bring the car back to their location (they will honor my same rate the next day), then either take their shuttle (if still running) or a taxi back to the ship, their shuttles are back at the ship at 7:00 am, hop on the shuttle the next day and go back to the agency to pick the car up and head back out. So GLAD I called them!! :D

Thought we'd do this - but since we need to be back over to Kaanapali by 8:00 the next day, we decided to spend a few "extra" bucks and just stay over in Lahania. This way we wouldn't have to worry about the drive back to the port (after having a couple drinks-not that we'll be slammed by any means), struggling to find a parking space, get to bed LATE and need to rise fairly early in the morning on the 5th to get back over to Kaanapali.

Hope you have a great trip! Aloha

Thats so much for the info. We will do just what you said. We will return the car to the Thrifty rental that evening and just go back the next morning. We have no real plans for the next day. Only the beach I assume.

Enjoy your cruise..

We rae on the POH on June 4 .

Thats so much for the info. We will do just what you said. We will return the car to the Thrifty rental that evening and just go back the next morning. We have no real plans for the next day. Only the beach I assume.

Enjoy your cruise..

We rae on the POH on June 4 .

So glad i stopped in and found this message, have been wondering about rental cars and what to do when coming back to ship. Our cruise is a ways away yet, but I do like to plan ahead.

Archived