How to ship luggage?

infohunter

I'm curious on those of you that may have shipped your luggage directly to the boat. Who did you use?

My hubby hates checking luggage. In the far past he has had multiple pieces go sideways. So in general our motto has been if it doesn't fit in your carry on then you don't need it. Not bad for a weekend or week trip.... Our longest trip with just what we could carry on was a 6 week trip to Australia. Okay we cheated a little in that we both wore travel vests and all of the pockets were filled. If they ever weighed just the vests.... that would have been over the limit :D

But here we are figuring things out for our 2nd cruise. We are sailing out of Rio on the Rotterdam on Dec 18th. With pre and post plans we are gone 28 days. I talked to HAL's CSR line and they told me that we have 5 formal nights and 15 smart casual. The CSR didn't know if New Years was part of the formal nights or not.....

So here I am figuring out the multiple climates we will be in, the formal nights, and well..... no way can I do this with just carryon luggage. Plus on top of this since we are flying on United due to frequent flyer miles at the end of the trip we fly Swiss Air from Santiago to Brazil and then we do United from Brazil back. Swiss Air will only allow us to have one carry on at 7kg.

I've got the husband agreeing to more than carryon but now he wants to know the best way to send our suitcase to Rio and then from Santiago. Does anyone have suggestions?

Appreciate your help as I figure all of these things out!

As I have researched companies that ship luggage, I would suggest you use DHL. Call or go by your local DHL Office and make arrangements. It's really quite simple. Other shipping companies may not be as reliable.

As I sail Seabourn often I use their "Seabourn Valet Service"~~

Yes, my luggage (2 pieces) is picked up at my front door~~is in my Suite upon arrival~~and the Purser delivers my "shipping"tags to me before I disembark. From Europe the luggage usually take a week to arrive in West Texas.

Do try this~~~it's THE only way to travel thru' airports these days!

Happy Trails and Sails

Archived