Clothing Dilemma

EdukatedRedHed

I know there are hundreds of clothing threads here on the Alaska board, but nothing I've found has helped me solve my dilemma! :o

My husband and I are both hot natured, me moreso than him! (I don't glisten, I sweat ... BUCKETS! :eek: ) I understand the key to Alaska is layers and goretex. I have both. However when it comes to being outside, when others are wearing gloves, coats and are shivering, you'll find me pulling my coat off b/c I'm sweating!!! :o I won't put on a jacket unless it's below freezing outside.

That being said, I'm trying to decide between shorts and capri's for my upcoming May 23rd cruise. (I'll be bringing jeans regardless.) My thinking is this, capri's are nice and cool, but the type of shoes you have to wear with them aren't good for colder / wetter climates. (Sandals, flip-flops, keds) With shorts I could get away with wearing my hiking boots, and if it got too cold and/or wet for me, I could pull on my Pac-lite goretex pants.

Maybe I just answered my own dilemma?!? :confused: :p

Can any other "hot-natured" folks out there tell me their experiences on an Alaskan cruise?

>>With shorts I could get away with wearing my hiking boots, and if it got too cold and/or wet for me, I could pull on my Pac-lite goretex pants.<<

That's precisely what I do, for the same reasons. Ultra-light and as comfortable as I can get without geting arrested :D

Murray

Hot-blooded types usually find that the most useful layer here is a fleece vest. A fleece vest and shorts take me comfortably to sub-freezing temps if there's no breeze.

Murray

These are made out of lightweight, fast-drying synthetic material. Long pants zip off to become hiking shorts. Not exactly a fashion statement, but I think they cover some bases.

Long pants zip off to become hiking shorts. Not exactly a fashion statement...

They are in Alaska! :D I just picked up 2 more pair on a great sale at the Klothes Rush in Skagway!

I hear you sister! :)

I still advise layers -- I will tell you that a quarter mile from a glacier with a stiff breeze blowing off it (like a giant fan over a GIANT ice cube) I was the only one who could stand to be on deck in a t-shirt even on a "warm" sunny day!

That said, I have gotten nicely, thoroughly soaked with rain just on an average commute here in the Seattle area and been kind of damply miserable and chilled as a result, and this is Alaska, so one must expect rain!

I think shorts with rain pants to pull on or the pants with zip off legs are great. Instead of cotton (gets wet - including sweaty wet - stays wet) you might want to look for t-shirts made of quick drying material. A fleece vest is great too - keeps your core warm but lets you vent some heat through your arms and you can unzip/shed easily.

I also have a windbreaker that has side vent zippers, so you can create some flow through when you're warmer and zip up if you want to keep the body heat in.

Hope you have a great (not overheated, not chilled) time! Take a hat and gloves just in case -- they can be thin as long as they are not cotton -- and if you don't need them, all good. If it's colder than expected (like you don't really move around that much on wildlife boat tours) you'll be happy to have the option.

Goodness, I'm thinking the same thing!! I sleep with the window opened in the wintertime because of these crazy hot flashes!!! I would hate to be all layered up and get a hot flash!! I'm one who , while shopping, will go to the dressing room and take off my clothes just to cool down!!:D

Archived