REALLY need advice for booking excursions!!

I have never cruised before. I have actually never vacationed with kids before either!! We will be going to St Maarten, and St Thomas via the Victory. My kids are very young, and we're just wanting to enjoy time at the beaches.

I've searched over the posts, and it seems that most suggest to save $$$ and NOT book excursions through Carnival.

I love the idea of saving cash, but I'm terrified at taking a chance with finding our own way around. I'm also concerned about driving with my 1yr old without the car seat.

Does anyone have suggestions for us???

The more details the better.

Thanks in advance!!

Looking for beautiful beaches?

St. Thomas= take a cab to Megan's Bay.

St. Maarten= take a cab to Orient Bay.

We have been on 16 cruises and these are two of the most beautiful beaches that I have ever seen.

Orient Bay does have a few topless women but not enough to bother your kids, they probably won't even notice.

Cruzn

Godfrey's tour in St Thomas is awesome...http://www.godfreytoursvi.com/ he has a GREAT reputation and provides a full day for a good price we paid $25/ person.....

photos....... http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2181244520089406063pyBhlt

his tour had shopping, tour and beach time....we went to Coki........it was our first cruise and our first excursion.....AWESOME!!!

Coki Beach.....

2429086690089406063S600x600Q85.jpg

We have been on 16 cruises and these are two of the most beautiful beaches that I have ever seen.

Orient Bay does have a few topless women but not enough to bother your kids, they probably won't even notice.

Cruzn

thats our plan.

btw..is that skyway thingy on St. Thomas near Megans bay?

thanks

Cruzn

Just a few questions:

What would I expect to pay in cab fare???

What type of cab would it be?? Would it seat my family of 5??

I'm concerned about traveling without carseats. Are their seatbelts??

Where would I find the cab??

thats our plan.

btw..is that skyway thingy on St. Thomas near Megans bay?

thanks

The tram is located very near to where you will dock at Havensight. It gives spectacular views of the harbor, ships and downtown.

Just a few questions:

What would I expect to pay in cab fare???

What type of cab would it be?? Would it seat my family of 5??

I'm concerned about traveling without carseats. Are their seatbelts??

Where would I find the cab??

Can't remember the fare for St. Thomas but was very reasonable.

Orient Bay, $6.00 pp each way. Not bad for a perfect day at the beach.

Also not sure about seat belts. You don't have to go very far at all for the cabs. At Orient Bay after you exit the ship, you just walk a little ways and there is a taxi stand. The last time I went there, the weather was perfect, the beach and water was beautiful. And there is nothing like relaxing on that beach and having a waiter take care of you all day, including bringing lunch(ribs for me)and drinks of anykind .....what great memories , Can't wait to go there again! Have a great time and be sure and post after you get back!

Cruzn

Don't worry about being on your own in these two ports. I know, that's easy for me to say because I have been on so many cruises. Actually on our first cruise we did the cruise ship excursions too ... only because we were new to this and hadn't found cruise critic. Just trust me, go your own and have a great time! Much cheaper and you can stay however long you want to.

Cruzn

Trust this post. Megans Bay is a peacful white soft sandy beach that must not be missed. Water is usually flat and great for little ones.

Trust this post. Megans Bay is a peacful white soft sandy beach that must not be missed. Water is usually flat and great for little ones.

Megans Bay is one of the beach stops of choice that Godfrey will take you to. You'd get shopping time, a driving tour to the highest point on the island (higher than the sky thing) and beach time.......for a great price.

I second Magen's Bay and Orient Beach, those are our two top Caribbean destinations while on a cruise. Both very "different" beaches, Orient is bigger, larger waves, beautiful. Magen's is calmer because it's a bay, with smooth water, more trees to sit under, etc... We absolutely love both of those beaches, and can't wait to get there again!

We went to St. Thomas this past Feb. We and other couples had trouble with Godfrey. After waiting almost an hour and 2 phone calls, the head of the taxis found us another tour guide. There have been other posts of him not showing up, so if you use him try and confirm over and over. We confirmed twice and once right before we left, luckily we kept his phone # with us, but still did no good. He was somewhere else and apologized, he got the dates mixed up. People who have used him say he is top notch!!:)

Our guide took us to Sapphire Beach. The only thing about this is it is not shallow, it drops off right away so for a one year old, could be tricky. I would try Magans Bay. Defiinitely do the skyride!! Driving around in a taxi for a couple hours tour might be a bit much for a yr. old.

Just remember in St. Maarten, Orient Bay is a nude beach. It was our absolute favorite!! Beautiful. There is an area of rocks you cross over and it is completely nude on that side. But they do walk up and down the whole beach and eat in the places, some completely nude and some just topless. A lot were men too, so just be aware with your children. A lot of children were there. It wasn't offensive to us, but didn't know how old your children are.

Have a wonderful cruise!! You will love these places!!

Beach excursions are very easy to do on your own, since you're just taking a taxi to the beach and back. Taxis are very prevalent at the pier, and there probably will be someone at the beach who will call you a cab if there aren't any waiting to come back. We always seem to get a van taxi, which would certainly hold your family. Because you're just at the beach, and not in a boat out in the ocean, there's less concern about making it back to the pier in time.

Archived