New Soda Card prices posted on NCL

fantavet

And they jumped! When I booked my cruise they were $5.79 pp per day. Now....

Unlimited Fountain Soda

Includes: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic Water, Soda Water

The entire cruise must be purchased. Non-Refundable.

Prepaid @ $8.63 per day per person x Cruise days

Thermal container can be purchased for an additional $3

I planned on purchasing two cards when they were $5.79 and I think NCL would have made out in the deal. What are the soda prices now? If they are over $2.00 for a cup then the it will be worth it.

As an aside, for those travelling to Bermuda, I'm reading on the Bermuda board that the Dine Ashore program is no longer in existence.

I'm a little bummed out today.

That is a shame and raises the bar for break even. We the passengers are responsible of the increase. I am sure they looked at the average number of sodas per card onboard to set the new price. All those passengers we have all seen sharing one card across several people have ruined a good thing for many others.

I have seen a family of 5 sending their 7 yo up to the bar over and over until everyone had a soda. Finally the bar tender asked the kid to send his dad to the bar not wanting to put the kid on the spot. The kid told his dad and they all got up and left - great life lesson. :mad: I have seen a group of adults sitting poolside getting several sodas for the group, pouring them into glasses already loaded with rum from the bottle in the tote bag under the table :rolleyes: Look how many have posted here they got one card and shared it.

Many of you who read this board are directly responsible for the pain of others to save $2 for a soda :eek: :(

Yeah it stinks when people try to take advantage of a system like this. I'm sure NCL didn't put out the soda card program as a challenge to see how many ways it could be abused.

I like the soda cards. For my wife and I it was a easy way of getting sodas and paying the set price and not having to sign every time.

I don't know, if I get on board and the sodas are $2.00 I may still two cards. My wife drinks diet coke by the gallon so her card is still worth it. Would I drink 5 cokes a day, probably. Okay I talked myself back into it, I will most likely still buy two cards.

Just feel like the extra $40 is coming out of my beer fund :rolleyes:

Thanks Shoreguy for your always honest response;) . I am sure tht NCL didnt lose money even under these circumstances for the soda. But I do agree the lack of integrity by many probably lowered the profit margin considerably and caused the price increase. I feel bad for the bartenders and other employees who see the cheating and then have to decide whether to confront the passengers or not.

Since our next cruise is very port intensive we will probably pass on the soda cards and buy soda in ports or a can at dinner on the ship. I cant' imagine drinking enough soda to break even with the new cost of the cards.

Regardless of the cause, it's still quite a raise in price (almost 60 percent?), and definitely makes you do the math before you decide to buy.

In years past, I never had an issue with the prices... but now its probably not something worthwhile.

Incidentally, I have never shared one ... we always bought two.

My fiance' drinks Mountain Dew. It shouldn't be a problem if I bring like a 24 pack of Mountain Dew cans would it?? We booked the minisuite so we have a refrigerator in there.

As far as I know you're allowed to carry soda onto the ship. :)

That is a shame and raises the bar for break even. We the passengers are responsible of the increase. I am sure they looked at the average number of sodas per card onboard to set the new price. All those passengers we have all seen sharing one card across several people have ruined a good thing for many others.

I have seen a family of 5 sending their 7 yo up to the bar over and over until everyone had a soda. Finally the bar tender asked the kid to send his dad to the bar not wanting to put the kid on the spot. The kid told his dad and they all got up and left - great life lesson. :mad: I have seen a group of adults sitting poolside getting several sodas for the group, pouring them into glasses already loaded with rum from the bottle in the tote bag under the table :rolleyes: Look how many have posted here they got one card and shared it.

Many of you who read this board are directly responsible for the pain of others to save $2 for a soda :eek: :(

I agree 100% , BUT ........I think for the amount of money we pay for our cruises, the fountain drinks should be included.

I agree 100% , BUT ........I think for the amount of money we pay for our cruises, the fountain drinks should be included.

I am with you but providing it as part of the current fares goes right to the bottom line in not a positive way.

So perhaps they should add like $5 pp per day to the cruise fare for everyone and include it ;) I think we should add $200 to every cruise fare and include liquor, beer, and wine :eek: Somebody else thinks adding $20 per day and including free spa services. Others say just raise the fare $10 pp per day and forget the onboard service charge.

The problem is two fold. Passengers do not want to pay for things they don't use and they shop cruises based on the published fare not the total cost. :rolleyes:

The cost for NCL's "gun" soda is nominal. But shoreguy is right (is he ever wrong??) that not everyone drinks soda. So if it's included in your cruise fare, a certain segment will argue for their x number of dollars back because they're not using it. Let's all skip soda and just drink our liquor straight. ;) Totally teasing there. I don't drink. :o

I read somewhere there's another card available for the teens that includes smoothies - does anyone have details?

Teen passport $34.50

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=BonVoyageGifts#teen

343 20 non-alcoholic drinks, including non-alcoholic smoothie in a 12-14 oz. glass The teen and a guest are entitled to an afternoon dance party with the D.J., pizza and unlimited non-alcoholic drinks

The Teen will also receive an invitation to a "Farewell Frat Party

Would it be fair to say that not everyone enjoys the entertainment onboard but that is included..........not everyone goes ashore at every port, but it is all included in the whole package. Should people be asking for refunds because they don't go ashore or enjoy the great entertainment? No. It is all included in the package. I think the cruise lines (not just norwegian) can do this and still survive............10x's over;)

Our our cruise last month on Norwegian Majesty my wife and I both brought cards (for a total of $126.82). On our way back home after the cruise we were talking about this very subject. I told my wife I think I may have had maybe four sodas. My wife indicated she had about the same amount, so it worked out to about $16.00 per soda! :( WOW!!!! Live and Learn!

Anyway, if you were to ask me I think the entire soda card thing is cheesy! My slant on this issue is to either eliminate the card all together and let folks pay as you drink, or add $50 - $70 bucks to the price of the trip and let folks drink til they float away!

Heelfan ---

Believe it about those people trying to get oodles of drinks from one card.

DH & I were on Sovereign of the Seas and we visited the pizza "window" on the pool deck after returning from shore. There was a line of about 25 hungry people waiting, and one man stepped up and said he'd like two. They gave him two slices and he said, "No, I mean two pies. I have a family to feed."

The people in line almost tossed him overboard ... lol ...

People never cease to amaze you.....

Carol in SC

Heelfan ---

Believe it about those people trying to get oodles of drinks from one card.

DH & I were on Sovereign of the Seas and we visited the pizza "window" on the pool deck after returning from shore. There was a line of about 25 hungry people waiting, and one man stepped up and said he'd like two. They gave him two slices and he said, "No, I mean two pies. I have a family to feed."

The people in line almost tossed him overboard ... lol ...

People never cease to amaze you.....

Carol in SC

Isn't that amazing? I'm actually surprised there wasn't a mini mutiny against the guy. Very rude. :(

Would it be fair to say that not everyone enjoys the entertainment onboard but that is included..........not everyone goes ashore at every port, but it is all included in the whole package. Should people be asking for refunds because they don't go ashore or enjoy the great entertainment? No. It is all included in the package. I think the cruise lines (not just norwegian) can do this and still survive............10x's over;)

I view soda like coffee - some drink it some don't. I think it should be included in the fare too - coffee is.

I view soda like coffee - some drink it some don't. I think it should be included in the fare too - coffee is.

I'm still not happy that the cruise lines decided (only a few years ago) not to at least include soda in the dining rooms, included in the price of the cruise (even if they limited it to say one per person or maybe one and one refill)

And don't even get me started about lemonade! I now bring in Country Time packets and feel no remorse about adding them to my water! In fact, I've sometimes been told by other passengers "what a good idea"

-Monte

Oh No :eek: If they follow your lodgic we will be paying for coffee:mad: Oh wait we already do at the bars including the coffee bar. :D

I'm still not happy that the cruise lines decided (only a few years ago) not to at least include soda in the dining rooms, included in the price of the cruise (even if they limited it to say one per person or maybe one and one refill)

And don't even get me started about lemonade! I now bring in Country Time packets and feel no remorse about adding them to my water!

-Monte

It does seem like part of the meal, doesn't it?

I find the new pricing rather outrageous, but I still haven't decided for sure which route to go. We're planning on taking our own soda on the Pearl, since what we normally drink isn't available on the ship (gotta have my Diet Dr. Pepper), but the cards have always been a convenience at meal times. We don't drink coffe, tea, or alcoholic drinks, so soda is about our only option other than water.

Does anyone who has cruised recently know for sure what they're charging if you order an individual soda with a meal? It used to be $1.75 + the 15% gratuity, but I'd like to know if that's gone up too.

I think NCL may have just lost money on this deal. We've normally purchased 2 soda cards for both DH and I, but I'm seriously thinking we'll only get 1 this time. No, we won't share -- I don't feel right about that -- but I'll just make due with what we carry one and let DH have his card since the refills are more of an issue for him than they are for me.

I just had a thought -- which is always dangerous. What would they do if I ordered multiple servings of the chilled fruit soups and just used those for my dinner-time drink? As long as it's liquid, I can "eat" my drink with a spoon as easily as I can sip it with a straw :D :eek: !

Archived