How many formal nights on Pearl?

On most 7 day cruises on NCL, there are two OPTIONAL formal nights. You will find that more people (about 40%) will dress up on the first one and only about 25% will dress up on the second one.

I was on the Star in 2005 on the same route the Pearl is doing this year and my parents are doing the Pearl in mid July this year.

Great! Thank you! We're celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary, so I'm going to dress for all formal nights.

Actually, with the Freestyle concept, if you want to you can dress in formal attire every night of your cruise. I have always seen a few people dressed up each night.

So if that is what you want, then by all means: GO FOR IT! That is the joy of Freestyle, the opportunity to dress as you want and WHEN you want!

On the New Freestyle Ships like the Pearl is no dedigated "Optional Formal" night! So 2005 is over!!! I have seen on the Pearl throughout the whole cruise people dressed up or not...so it up to you!!! I guess you will not have the so called "Lobster Night", which is mostly the 2nd night, when evrybody got a sunburn and looks like a lobster...:D

Why do people need a guydance or somebody to tell them what to do....it is vacation...so do whatever you fell like!!!

Sneakerstud:

Sorry to disagree...........on our recent Pearl cruise, the Dailies listed for 4/14/07 under Tip of the Day as follows:

"Dress Up or Not Night. If you would like to dress up tonight feel free to or not, it's Freestyle".........

On our cruise a large majority of the pax were dressed up (DH wore his tux, I dressed up as well) on this night. The photographers had their photo stations set-up in the Atrium as well for "formal" pictures.

IMO - "dress up or not night" translates easily into Optional Formal Night

Anyone know how many formal nights are on the 7-day Pearl Alaska cruise? I'm trying to pack. :confused:

Yes, in the past, Monday has been the optional formal night. All the other nights the Daily showed "resort casual" except on Friday, it showed "An evening of elegance", which I assumed was also an optional formal night.

I like Sneekerstud's attitude!

If it's really freestyle, be formal every night or not. I bet the notice is in the daily paper to remind people to dress up at all because of the very casual dress code.

My guess is that the optional formal night notice is primarily related to the fact that those will be the nights with the most photographer setups with the different backdrops if you want to do the photo "thang" at dinner time. They never come out and say it directly, but that is how I interpret it.

First of all I have hated the term "dress up or not night" since they introduced it earlier this year. (along with the other one: "its the night to dress up.") We did a poll on here earlier this year and "optional formal night" won by a large margin as to what people wanted it called.

I don't think it is so much NCL telling people what to do, but the reason they do that is basically a suggestion so that more people will dress up on the same night and thus some won't feel out of place.

:confused:

On most 7 day cruises on NCL, there are two OPTIONAL formal nights. You will find that more people (about 40%) will dress up on the first one and only about 25% will dress up on the second one.

I was on the Star in 2005 on the same route the Pearl is doing this year and my parents are doing the Pearl in mid July this year.

What criteria do you use to determine your percentages. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Why do you always start this Down-unders??? We all know that you hate the Freestyle concept and want to try and twist the facts to try and convince newbies that the vast majority dress up. It just kills you to see people in polo shirts and kahkis being relaxed.

But to answer your question: I base my facts on two areas:

1.) Other people's first hand accounts of what they have witnessed in the dining rooms since I have been a member of these boards. (Started as a lurker in early 2004)

and more importantly:

2.) My own personal experiences and observations on NCL cruises that I have taken. Oh, and before you question my credentials: I took Sociology and the observation of people in college and have done extensive study of statistics in my post graduate work. I can look at a room and give you rough estimates of many ratios and percentages of the make-up of the room.

So, let me put it this way, in a more correct statistical form: Based on my personal observations and figuring of the guests dining in the dining rooms during my NCL cruises, about 40% of the people dress up on optional formal night. 59% are generally in resort casual and the other 1% are those who have slipped through in something less than resort casual. Those figures of course do not include the waiters, bussers, maitre'd's and the occasional ships officers.

Why do you always start this Down-unders??? We all know that you hate the Freestyle concept and want to try and twist the facts to try and convince newbies that the vast majority dress up. It just kills you to see people in polo shirts and kahkis being relaxed.

But to answer your question: I base my facts on two areas:

1.) Other people's first hand accounts of what they have witnessed in the dining rooms since I have been a member of these boards. (Started as a lurker in early 2004)

and more importantly:

2.) My own personal experiences and observations on NCL cruises that I have taken. Oh, and before you question my credentials: I took Sociology and the observation of people in college and have done extensive study of statistics in my post graduate work. I can look at a room and give you rough estimates of many ratios and percentages of the make-up of the room.

So, let me put it this way, in a more correct statistical form: Based on my personal observations and figuring of the guests dining in the dining rooms during my NCL cruises, about 40% of the people dress up on optional formal night. 59% are generally in resort casual and the other 1% are those who have slipped through in something less than resort casual. Those figures of course do not include the waiters, bussers, maitre'd's and the occasional ships officers.

My dear friend, let me correct you I do not hate freestyle in fact it is great. However I question the soundness of your argument to support the evidence of you percentages.

:) :)

Archived