Legend only Questions! Post 'em Here!

Cleavis

Just off the Legend Sunday. :(

We had table 286 in the dining room, and it was wonderful - a smaller quieter room, not right at the window but great view without the glare (early seating).

The closet had hangers with 'nubs', but not like I've ever seen before - three fit into each ring that's attached to the rod. In any case, if you want to hang something anywhere but the closet, bring your own hangers.

I enjoyed all the comics (3 stand-ups, and one ventriloquist), and the balancing act would have been even more interesting if it had been the night we had the winds from TS Arthur!! :eek:

Are you going to post a review? How was TS Arthur? Did the tropical storm affect the weather in your ports?

Here is an easy one for those who have already been on Legend. Are there hangers in the closet of do they use those wooden hangers with little nubs that hook into the closet rod. Should I bring some hangers with me?

Yes it is the wood ones. Bring some with you

We are sailing on the Legend on 9/7/08 , I have seen many references to boarding and going to the Lido deck buffet for lunch. On the last couple of cruises we took, the main dining room was also open for lunch.

Is the main dining room on the Legend usually open during embarkation, or any other location besides the buffet? :confused:

Only buffet, grill and deli

Are you going to post a review? How was TS Arthur? Did the tropical storm affect the weather in your ports?

I'm having surgery next week so I'm too busy trying to get things organized at home & work to post a review now, but hope to be able to during my recouperation.

The weather was great in all the ports, even though the forecast was for t-storms every day before we left. Friday on the ship was pretty rocky though - the dining room crowd was a bit thin, and they had to modify the show that night so the dancers wouldn't tip over! :p They also posted signs asking people to stay off the decks; we had an aft balcony & stepped out there to look around, but it was too dark to see anything except the wake. Winds were around 50 MPH, I don't know how high the waves were - but overall, it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been, and none in my party were ill.

I'm having surgery next week so I'm too busy trying to get things organized at home & work to post a review now, but hope to be able to during my recouperation.

The weather was great in all the ports, even though the forecast was for t-storms every day before we left. Friday on the ship was pretty rocky though - the dining room crowd was a bit thin, and they had to modify the show that night so the dancers wouldn't tip over! :p They also posted signs asking people to stay off the decks; we had an aft balcony & stepped out there to look around, but it was too dark to see anything except the wake. Winds were around 50 MPH, I don't know how high the waves were - but overall, it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been, and none in my party were ill.

Good luck with your surgery. I'll read your review when I get back from my trip.

I was on the Glory when we were hit with the first TS of the year in 2005. (I can't remember the name right now.) I actually enjoyed it. It was nice looking out into sea. But,they wouldn't let us out on the decks either.

We had 50 mph winds coming home most of the way from Roatan to Tampa (yes, the WHOLE way!) and we were told the average swells were 12-18 feet! It was an 40 hour roller coaster ride! About half the dining room was empty Saturday night due to people packing or being seasick (even the captain was late for a speech because he was seasick!) and the dining room was shaking so much that plates from unoccupied tables were falling off the tables!

We were in room 8247 and our balcony rails were covered with salt from the sea spray making it up that high! :eek:

Only buffet, grill and deli

Bummer :( , was hoping to duck in have a relaxing lunch and cocktail while waiting for the room to be ready.

I am sure the Lido deck will be fine, guess we got a little spoiled before having lunch in the main dining room during embarkation....;)

Hi all,

We are sailing on the Legend in September (if the hurricane season cooperates :rolleyes: ) and wondered if anyone had any recommendations as far as the best table(s) to recommend as far as window view, more private, away from kitchen area, etc;

We plan to do anytime dining, and figured as long as we were calling for a reservation, we'd request a nice table, too!

Tried to do a search of this thread, but the search is down:(

I had table #142, and it's everything you just listed above. Window table, rather private, away from the kitchen area, so far that by the time the conga line got to us, 'shhhowtime' was about over. However, it is a table for 6.

Wow this is pretty big news that I had not heard about and we are leaving soon. Glad that I read these boards always before we cruise. Also surprised given magnitude of this that there has not been much more discussion about this topic. So....

We will be on Legend July 13. Group of 9 including four adults and five kids aged 8 to 17. We're set for a big table with all of us at the 5:45 seating to accomodate the younger ones in our group. I think our inclination at this point is to keep the 5:45 seating and not move to open seating - that way we know we have a table for all of us and if we decide to skip the 5:45 a time or two, we can always stand in line for a table at open seating or go to buffet.

Has anyone switched and signed up for open seating who will be on Legend after this new policy is implemented at end of June? Or is everyone waiting to hear how it goes?? Following up on that....

Anyone who is cruising on Legend after the new policy is implemented, PLEASE post a note about your impressions on the new dining policy as soon as you can so those of us who will be following in your pioneering footsteps can obtain the value of your wisdom!

T-minus 1 month, 2 days!

sle

Anytime dining as per Carnivals website is between 5:30 - 9:30pm.. It hasn't been implemented on the Legend yet.. so it is hard to say if other ship experiences will be the same.. I have read reviews from ships that do this and .. some had to wait up to 45 mins.. others just walked right in;)

ETA: this is part of an email a fellow CCer received from their PVP..

Starting on June 29th the Carnival Legend will now allow for more dining options with open seating in the main dining room in addition to the traditional 6 pm and 8:15 pm seating. Guests will be able to either visit the dining room anytime between 5:30 and 9:30 pm to enjoy our dinner menu or request one of two assigned seating times. Reservations are not required for open seating, however, you may call ahead each day from your stateroom to request specific times for that night.

Should you be interested in changing your request for assigned dining to open seating please call 1-800-CARNIVAL anytime up to two weeks prior to your sailing. Additionally, guests will be able to switch from assigned to open seating once onboard by contacting the Maitre'd the day of sailing. If you do not wish to switch to open seating and would like to keep your current dining time no action is necessary.

We are sailing on the Legend on 9/7/08 , I have seen many references to boarding and going to the Lido deck buffet for lunch. On the last couple of cruises we took, the main dining room was also open for lunch.

Is the main dining room on the Legend usually open during embarkation, or any other location besides the buffet? :confused:

I don't recall the dining room being open, and being directed to the Lido for lunch.

Here is an easy one for those who have already been on Legend. Are there hangers in the closet of do they use those wooden hangers with little nubs that hook into the closet rod. Should I bring some hangers with me?

Nubs, no real hangers. However, since we brought three, count'em three, garment bags, all of our clothes had their own hangers to use...

We had a balcony room on the fifth floor. Didn't expect to find a mini-fridge (even our spawn who were down on the first floor had one), and bathrobes.

I did use the robes after showering, and we emptied the mini-bar contents and put our own beverages in the fridge. It wasn't getting cold; called the room steward, and in less than 15 minutes, they had swapped out our defective fridge!

My question is, for those that have gone what did you think of the itinerary. That many ports in that short of time seems a bit extreme or does it? I could be spending another thousand bucks just on excursions.

My question is, for those that have gone what did you think of the itinerary. That many ports in that short of time seems a bit extreme or does it? I could be spending another thousand bucks just on excursions.

We agreed that a 7 day cruise with more days at sea would have been too monotonous. We wished we had more time in Belize (we got back about 30 min before the last tender), but due to TS Arthur, our itinerary was flipped.

We, (my husband and sons, 21 and 18) found the itinerary to be perfect! To begin and end with days at sea were perfect, as they gave us the time to relax at either end.

With regard to expense: We saved a LOT of money by NOT using carnival's excursions. I researched these boards and got better deals by dealing with reputable tour companies directly. All preferred payment the day of (some even at the end of the tour), and all were highly recommended. They are very cognizant of the ship's schedule, and since they make their living on word of mouth, are vigilant in getting you back in time. We actually had time on GC, Honduras, and Cozumel to do some sightseeing or shopping, if we wanted to. We figured that for the four of us, (all adults) and two of them ziplining, we probably spent about 800 bucks on excursions. However, my husband and I agreed-it was money well spent, and we never felt like it was too much.

also, keep in mind-you don't have to do an organized tour-you can choose to grab a taxi and go where you want to.

We are looking at longer cruises, but they have to have many days in port...too many days at sea for us would be boring!

we chose this cruise because of all the ports!! it was fun waking up in a new place everyday! i would def take this cruise again! wish we could have spent more time in roatan! its beautiful!

grand cayman we did Rays, Reef & Rum Point w/ native way

cozumel we took a taxi to paradise beach

belize we went cave-tubing w/ major tom

roatan we went snorkeling at fins n flippers

I agree - We chose this itinerary because there were only 2 days at sea. We love the different ports. Roatan ended up being our favorite port. The side trips we took were not too costly even by ziplining in Roatan.

We will be on Legend July 13. Group of 9 including four adults and five kids aged 8 to 17. We're set for a big table with all of us at the 5:45 seating to accomodate the younger ones in our group. I think our inclination at this point is to keep the 5:45 seating and not move to open seating - that way we know we have a table for all of us and if we decide to skip the 5:45 a time or two, we can always stand in line for a table at open seating or go to buffet.

I don't think you will have the option of changing back & forth from traditional to open during the cruise. You will be able to choose once and then will have only the chosen option available to you. You could go to the buffet on those nights, though. Here is some information from the letter my PVP sent concerning the new dining options:

Starting on June 29th the Carnival Legend will now allow for more dining options with open seating in the main dining room in addition to the traditional 6 pm and 8:15 pm seating. Guests will be able to either visit the dining room anytime between 5:30 and 9:30 pm to enjoy our dinner menu or request one of two assigned seating times. Reservations are not required for open seating, however you may call ahead each day from your stateroom to request specific dining times for that night.

Should you be interested in changing your request for assigned dining to open seating please call 1-800-CARNIVAL anytime up to two weeks prior to your sailing. Additionally, guests will be able to switch from assigned to open seating once onboard by contacting the Maitre’d the day of sailing. If you do not wish to switch to open seating and would like to keep your current dining time no action is necessary.

we chose this cruise because of all the ports!! it was fun waking up in a new place everyday! i would def take this cruise again! wish we could have spent more time in roatan! its beautiful!

grand cayman we did Rays, Reef & Rum Point w/ native way

cozumel we took a taxi to paradise beach

belize we went cave-tubing w/ major tom

roatan we went snorkeling at fins n flippers

I agree. When choosing ships this time, once we narrowed it down to about 4 or 5, we looked at itineraries. Ships with more than 2 days at sea were thrown out.

Our day in Roatan was longer, due to our itinerary being changed because of the damage Arthur left on Belize.

We did:

Grand Cayman: Moby Dick- snorkeled on reef, feed, held, etc. stingrays. EXCELLENT. Don't be put off by the transportation-the BarneyBus-purple school bus. They also let people off at the beach instead of heading back to port.

Cozumel: twister to Isla Pasion. most expensive day, but with all food and beverages included (including alcohol) it was well worth it. beach is pristine, too!

Roatan: private tour with Victor Bodden; Tex took us anywhere we wanted to go. Sons ziplined at South Shore.

Belize: cave-tubing w. major tom. Really fun.

We liked seeing the "real" Roatan; we even went to our guide's house (dolphin excursion is in his "backyard!")

I would do the itinerary again; ship was nice, but we'd rather explore other ships before repeating on a ship.

I don't think you will have the option of changing back & forth from traditional to open during the cruise. You will be able to choose once and then will have only the chosen option available to you. You could go to the buffet on those nights, though. Here is some information from the letter my PVP sent concerning the new dining options:

Starting on June 29th the Carnival Legend will now allow for more dining options with open seating in the main dining room in addition to the traditional 6 pm and 8:15 pm seating. Guests will be able to either visit the dining room anytime between 5:30 and 9:30 pm to enjoy our dinner menu or request one of two assigned seating times. Reservations are not required for open seating, however you may call ahead each day from your stateroom to request specific dining times for that night.

Should you be interested in changing your request for assigned dining to open seating please call 1-800-CARNIVAL anytime up to two weeks prior to your sailing. Additionally, guests will be able to switch from assigned to open seating once onboard by contacting the Maitre’d the day of sailing. If you do not wish to switch to open seating and would like to keep your current dining time no action is necessary.

I'm interested in seeing how this works. Legend has one dining room, and granted it is on two floors and must be pretty large. I'd love to read reviews about how this actually worked out!

We did the late seating, and the night we went to the Golden Fleece (GO! worth every dime), we ate at 8 pm. We eat later at home too, so 8:15 wasn't much of a stretch. it also gave us time after traipsing around all day in ports to shower and NAP or wander around and have a light snack.

I agree. When choosing ships this time, once we narrowed it down to about 4 or 5, we looked at itineraries. Ships with more than 2 days at sea were thrown out.

Our day in Roatan was longer, due to our itinerary being changed because of the damage Arthur left on Belize.

We did:

Grand Cayman: Moby Dick- snorkeled on reef, feed, held, etc. stingrays. EXCELLENT. Don't be put off by the transportation-the BarneyBus-purple school bus. They also let people off at the beach instead of heading back to port.

Cozumel: twister to Isla Pasion. most expensive day, but with all food and beverages included (including alcohol) it was well worth it. beach is pristine, too!

Roatan: private tour with Victor Bodden; Tex took us anywhere we wanted to go. Sons ziplined at South Shore.

Belize: cave-tubing w. major tom. Really fun.

We liked seeing the "real" Roatan; we even went to our guide's house (dolphin excursion is in his "backyard!")

I would do the itinerary again; ship was nice, but we'd rather explore other ships before repeating on a ship.

We had Tex in Roatan too. He was great! I'd be thrilled to have him again.

We had Tex in Roatan too. He was great! I'd be thrilled to have him again.

He was kind and very knowledgeable. He and my husband were comparing island fruits-my husband is Jamaican, and they spent a great deal of time discussing the various local produce and the names, flavors, varieties.

did you visit his house? Outside of his house is a pier--and we watched the dolphins swim.

We felt really safe, and when we asked which zipline was best (safest) he said he wouldn't take my sons to the extreme zip, as they don't use safety lines, and he felt uncomfortable with sending people there. I was glad that he was looking out for us!

I will recommend him to others, and also plan on writing victor a note letting him know how well Tex represents his company.

He was kind and very knowledgeable. He and my husband were comparing island fruits-my husband is Jamaican, and they spent a great deal of time discussing the various local produce and the names, flavors, varieties.

did you visit his house? Outside of his house is a pier--and we watched the dolphins swim.

We felt really safe, and when we asked which zipline was best (safest) he said he wouldn't take my sons to the extreme zip, as they don't use safety lines, and he felt uncomfortable with sending people there. I was glad that he was looking out for us!

I will recommend him to others, and also plan on writing victor a note letting him know how well Tex represents his company.

No, we didn't visit his house. We had an 80 year old and a 78 year old with us so we just did some shopping, sight-seeing and had lunch before heading back to the ship. Plus, my grandma really wanted to go to the cameo factory and that took a little while. It rained cats and dogs the day we were there but it's a beautiful place. I hope the Legend is still going there in January!

No, we didn't visit his house. We had an 80 year old and a 78 year old with us so we just did some shopping, sight-seeing and had lunch before heading back to the ship. Plus, my grandma really wanted to go to the cameo factory and that took a little while. It rained cats and dogs the day we were there but it's a beautiful place. I hope the Legend is still going there in January!

I did ask, early on, about the cameos. He remembered, and he asked us, on the way back, if i wanted to stop by. I didn't (just not in a shopping mode, lucky for my husband). I loved his flexibility and calm, kind nature. I also appreciated his careful driving!

He has a great sense of humor, too. He said, "i want to show you something" as we were driving around the little neighborhoods. We pulled into this driveway with two houses-facing the bay. That's where the dolphins were. He had told us he was going to take us to his little town. As we stood there, watching the dolphins do their tricks, i asked him if he lived near here, or further inland. He said, with a smile, "Oh, a little inland," and then pointed to a smaller house to the side.

I told him he had a great backyard!!!!:D