Panama Canal, Partial or Full Transit?

captpeachy

The Panama Canal is stunning, no question about it! A full transit is very interesting, and you get the West Coast ports that are usually very good. If at all possible, it is the best way to go.

But if time or flexibility in scheduling are important to you, a partial transit can be really interesting. You get the locks, the Gaillard Cut, and Gatun Lake so you see most of the major sights. Usually it is a 7 day cruise out of Florida so it can be very easy to arrange air. If you can't do a complete transit, a partial transit is a good cruise.

Whichever you choose, have a GREAT cruise!

One 'Pro', as I see it, for a partial transit is leaving and returning from Ft. Lauderdale. On the full transit you will be traveling between San Juan and Acapulco - higher airfare probably and Acapulco, especially the airport, is a nightmare.

We took the partial and experienced all the locks through the ships excursion. Found it to be one of the best trips yet. Had some really wonderful tour guides which made it very nice. I would like to one day do a full transit though.

I agree the partial Ok but I would do the full if possibe. I have done several full transits and lived in Panama for 2 years. It is a great place but hard to get the whole story unless you experience the complete trip. :)

On the full transit you will be traveling between San Juan and Acapulco - higher airfare probably and Acapulco, especially the airport, is a nightmare.

Princess also has 15 day full transits from Ft Lauderdale to LA, and vice versa. They also have spring and fall repositioning transits.

We have enjoyed our two partials, and one full. In our case getting air for the partial is easier, and less expensive. Captpeachy, in your case, you are already on the west cost, so all you need is a oneway ticket back to San Diego. Of course you could get a one way to the east coast, then sail home.

Archived