priceline

BeachTeach

Could someone explain how to use Priceline? I've been on the site but I'm not sure about the bidding. Do you all bid? How does it work? Thanks!

Your best bet is to spend a couple of hours reading www.BetterBidding.com and www.BiddingForTravel.com . Not doing so can end up costing you money but spending the time to learn about what you are trying to do can save you hundreds.

It really is worth the time.

Your best bet is to spend a couple of hours reading www.BetterBidding.com and www.BiddingForTravel.com . Not doing so can end up costing you money but spending the time to learn about what you are trying to do can save you hundreds.

It really is worth the time.

I totally agree! I spent time learning from this board and the other sites mentioned above and have saved a lot of money and stayed in much nicer hotels.

I learned how to bid Priceline on Biddingfortravel.com

After you read all the information they give you and have studied a map of the area you want to stay in, read the threads on this site to get info about specific hotels readers like when doing a pre or post cruise. You can get more reviews of specific hotels on tripadvisor.com too. Many with pictures.

Once you go to bidding for travel, you will learn that there are advisors that will help you bid...telling you where to start bidding and basic rules of the game. But you really have to know a lot before you can start the process. Not difficult, but you need time to learn the "game."

My concern is if this is new to you, that you may have some requirements as far as bedding, children, location etc. On Priceline you really don't know where you'll be, until you have bought the room. Non refundable. So if you are afraid you'll end up somewhere you don't like, or won't have the right beds etc. I wouldn't start bidding for the pre cruise room. I "practiced " on a couple short road trips we did a while back...when it didn't really matter too much to us where we stayed. (Got rooms for half price at some really nice places. )

You have to be aware too, that rates change all the time. Someone might get a room in Miami for $100 in Sept. when it's a quiet time. But when someone bids for that same hotel in February, the rate is double. So don't be fooled into thinking everyone gets these dirt cheap rates all the time. There are many factors which come into play.

Good luck. Hope this didn't discourage you. But I know when I learned the ropes, I was surprised at the little twists and turns.

Could someone explain how to use Priceline? I've been on the site but I'm not sure about the bidding. Do you all bid? How does it work? Thanks!

The info on the above mentioned websites is right on. It may take some time to learn how it works, but it is completely worth it. I convinced my SIL to try it and she "won" a 4* hotel in Miami, pre-cruise for $69. I also just "won" a 4* in LA for $69. Now I'm working on my car rental through priceline! Good luck!

I thought I would also give Priceline a try, but concerned b/c we need a room for 4 people. As I understand it, the guarantee is only for a 2 person room. I was afraid to take a chance & try to get it changed to a 4 person one.

workingmom3,

You are right, priceline only gives double occupancy. Hotwire is usually a bit more expensive (based on travel forum bids for the same hotel) but will allow you to have 2 children in the room. We feel better about this when traveling with our kids. I'd hate to arrive and only have a room with one bed. When it is just the 2 of us I use Priceline.

Only once when I was 99% sure the Priceline hotel was going to be the Fll Sheraton did I take the chance. I also knew the Sheraton had mostly rooms with 2 beds and they are always very family friendly. It went just as planned.

I have been using both of these travel sites for all my reservations for many years and have had only one bad (disappointing) experience. All the others have been good or great.

I took the chance too for the Sheraton-I won the Sheraton Yankee Clipper Beach Resort a couple of weeks ago for 1 night pre cruise in September. I bid 3* Fort Lauderdale Beach, 2 rooms at $60 each and got the Sheraton. I called to confirm our reservations and was able to make sure we will have 2 beds in each room instead of a king. At first they wouldn't let me switch the bed because I called the reservation line but then I just called the hotel direct and had no problem what so ever. I havent' stayed there yet so I'm not positive how it will turn out but after taxes the rooms only costed us just under $75 and they go for about $180 on the internet-plus it is right on the beach! I am pretty happy with my winning!

Good Luck!

Thanks for you replies! I did some reading and tried bidding today. I knew my bids were too low but I wanted to practice and see what it was like. I think it will be difficult because it's a weekend and on Easter. Anyone ever bid for Easter weekend before?

Beachteach,

(are you a teacher?)

From my experience you will have very little success on Priceline if you are bidding now for March of 2008. Most of the inventory gets dumped on priceline within a month or two of the date. They sell inventory that is "at risk" of not being sold. If you are planning a one night stay on a Saturday you will have a very small chance. Many of the hotels require a 2 night stay if checking in on Saturday. I would recommend you book a "cancellable back-up" that you would be happy with if nothing comes through. Then wait till at least 2 months before. Read everything you can on both biddingfortravel.com and betterbidding.com then start the bidding process. The people who do really well are those that understand the process of "free re-bids".

Both priceline and hotwire CAN give you good deals but you must do lots of research to get it right.

Do most hotels let you leave your car there while you cruise? This is the only little hitch that's holding us up from giving Priceline a try. We're staying in Buffalo overnight and then flying to JFK the day of our cruise in July. But we'll need somewhere to leave our car.

Kim

Archived