Hubbard or Glacier Bay - which one?

CruisinMama7

I'm confused! :confused:

Most posts say go to Glacier Bay on your first trip to Alaska, but if Hubbard is the calving queen of all glaciers, shouldn't Hubbard be the first choice?

Is there more to glacier viewing (besides the calving process) that I'm unaware of? I thought calving was supposed to be the main attraction of glacier viewing. :o

What does Glacier Bay (with less calving) have over Hubbard?

Thanks in advance for all replies!

from what i understand they are very different. we have only been to glacier bay...but cruising through the national park we saw several glacier of different sizes. stopped at 2 of them and the ship would turn for better viewing.

http://www.alaskacruises.com/alaska_glacier_viewing.asp

the views were outstanding...did see some calving at 1 of the glaciers.

Let's put it this way:

Glacier Bay is a National Monument and a World Heritage Site. Ships going to Glacier Bay pretty much MADE Alaska a cruise destination.

When the National Park Service started limiting the number of ships going to Glacier Bay, then and only then did they start looking for an alternate destination and strike upon Hubbard Glacier.

HMMMMMMM. What does that tell you?

Calving isn't everything! The entire landscape of Glacier Bay, the way the many glaciers are formed, run together, separate, change colors, collect dirt and rocks ... all are fascinating and the National Park Service naturalists do a great job of explaining it.

We leave this summer on our 7th Alaskan Cruise -- and the first that will go to Hubbard. I can't imagine what we will see there that will approach the magnificence of Glacier Bay. Ask me in a few months.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Mike, thanks so much! That's exactly the type of info that I'm looking for! :cool:

This helps to narrow down which HAL ship to book for 2008. :D

Any other opinions out there? All are appreciated.

We sailed Radiance last June and went to Hubbard glacier. I wasn't sure what to expect as this was my first encounter and after having been on some wicked cool adventures at each of our previous ports, I thought this glacier viewing might be boring. Regardless I rushed up to the helipad as we began to sail in. It took at least 30 minutes on enter a "channel" of sorts before the ship was in front of the glaicer - the temps steadily decreased as well. The captain manuevered the ship to witin 60 feet of the glacier and turned the ship for both sides to view.

I laugh now when I think back about this experience because I simply couldn't pry myself away from watching this majestic site. The calving was spectacular and every few minutes you would hear the rumble of thunder. The experience was very memorable and I got some amazing action shots.

Although I have not been to Glacier Bay (will be there in June 2008) - I doubt you can go wrong with any glaicer viewing/activity.

Enjoy whatever your decision may be!

Hello All -

For what it's worth.......

I have visited both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. 32 days from today I will return to Alaska for my 4th visit.

Last year my fiance and I sailed on the Radiance - and will return to do the exact itinerary (and get married) this year - partly because of the magic of Hubbard - an old friend of mine.

Glacier Bay does have a collection of grand glaciers - each one amazing but there is something about the strength of the powerful veritical face of Hubbard. It's constantly in motion and the Captain of the Radiance takes the ship so close that you can actually hear it groaning and creaking.....suddenly followed by the thunderous sounds at the begining to calving.

I don't even remember taking a breath during our visit last year.

It was a magical experience with one of Nature's true wonders.

Don't discount Hubbard......

......and again, just my humble opinion.

Have a fabulous time in Alaska!

Thanks!

Cathy

I can sit in front of Hubbard Glacier and watch it hour after hour after hour and never get tired of the activity - the calving. Glacier Bay is a Very Different Experience - it's huge, it's magnificent, but on an hour-to-hour basis, it doesn't change. You might compare it to seeing one of the Old Masters in an art gallery. Worth seeing, for sure, but not "exciting" in an action way. Mike's explanation sounds great, but National Park status has nothing to do with a place being stimulating for tourists who are there for a few hours.

Murray

I have obsessed over Alaska cruise itineraries long enough to know that there is no one cruise that hits every major port and glacier. Assume that you will return to see what you've missed. Even Vision of the Seas, which in my opinion has one of the least impressive itineraries, got good reviews from folks last year - and it went to NO glaciers!

I'm looking forward to seeing Glacier Bay and College Fjord on our first cruise next month. I'm already thinking ahead to the following year, when I hope to go on a land trip and maybe also a NB cruise on HAL's Veendam - which will go to 2 different ports plus Hubbard Glacier.

We've been to both Hubbard and Glacier Bay (as well as some others). Both those sites are so awesome that to me it isn't a deal breaker either way.

That said-I prefer Hubbard. I like the calving more than the more static views in Glacier Bay. AND-the sheer size of the face of Hubbard (approx 6 miles wide) is overwhelming to me

-Monte

Archived