HAL Handicapped cabins

I posted this question on the HAL board and I am wondering if anyone out there has any info'

There are 2 cabins on the Zuiderdam (Vista class) on upper promenade deck that are midships next to the elevators. (H4090, 4089) This seems to be a great location, and it seems from the deck plan that they are not fully obstructed.

A comment was made on the HAL board that Holland America handicapped cabins are the regular size with some furniture removed?? I find this hard to believe, :confused: I thought the doors were wider and shower access was easier in H/C cabins.

Has anyone stayed in these cabins? Any comments would be appreciated. :)

Some cabins on HAL are partially accessible (not larger, not a roll-in shower) and some are fully accessible. All have wider doors, but there is very little space in the former unless you are a part-time walker.

I would recommend calling the HAL Special Needs office (which is generally very helpful) and ask about the actual room set up and size. We have not been on this ship, but on some of the old HAL ships we have found this to be the case. Have you looked at 6003 or 6004? Not veranda rooms, and all the way forward, but obviously much larger and similar in configuration to the cabins we have had were we even had enough room for a roll-away for a third person, plus the power wheelchair and lift.

HAL does not use room service carts, so we really have no problems being a ways from the elevator as with other cruise lines, as we don't have to dodge them. The only problem is getting to your cabin on the last night with luggage in the hallways, and we have always had lots of help from the crew to manage this.

I agree, phone HAL sp Services. Ask about room size and if this was a normal H/C or converted. If converted there is a 4-6" lip going into the washroom, if normal H/C then it is a larger then normal cabin with a roolin shower with all floors flush.

The OPs question concerns the Zuiderdam, first of the Vista ships. As such, all the HC cabins are fully accessible with roll in showers and lots of grab bars and are somewhat larger than standard cabins in that category. The cabins in question are noted as partially obscured because the window is adjacent but not behind a lifeboat.

Having sailed in HC cabins on both Westerdam and Oosterdam, the main problem we found with the cabins was the amount of space between the bed(s) and adjacent walls, because when they put in the big, thick mattresses, they limit that space. However in the cabins in question, the deck plan seems to indicate that the bed(s) may be placed so that the foot faces the cabin door. Anyhow still a good idea to check Special Needs with any question.:)

Travelbug--you might want to cehck on the "obstructed view" also--what shows on the deckplan is usually not to scale when it comes to windows and lifeboats. (tip of the hat to our TA)

Kristen

Have you looked at 6003 or 6004? Not veranda rooms, and all the way forward, but obviously much larger and similar in configuration to the cabins we have had were we even had enough room for a roll-away for a third person, plus the power wheelchair and lift.

We've stayed in those rooms on three Vista ships, and they are verandah rooms.

VAs.

• 1 year later...

I was recently on a HAL Vista Class Oosterdam handicapped veranda. It was the poorest arranged handicapped room I have had on 18 cruises. You cannot get a wheelchair around the bed to get to the veranda. There is a ramp (narrow) that goes up to a door to get out on the veranda. It is carpeted and you cannot see where it drops off. A wheelchair or scooter cannot fit on the narrow ramp. Instead of sliding doors there was a heavy door to open out to the veranda. No hand rails. We were stressed the whole trip and had a miserable time. The bathroom is fine but the vista class handicapped rooms are not the best.

• 1 month later...

I was booked into H4089 for Panama (April 18 - May 9) and had to change cabins. Get out of this cabin as fast as you can. Here is my letter to Holland America, in its entirety:

As you are aware, we were on the April 18th sailing of the Zuiderdam and were booked into cabin 4089 before moving to 1105.

I am seeking compensation for a cruise spoiled by misinformation from your company’s representative. Although seeking a wheelchair accessible cabin, we booked a cabin (based on advice given by Holland America) that was unworkable for us.

Cabin 4089 of the Zuiderdam is identified as wheelchair accessible but it is not. A wheelchair accessible cabin should have the following features:

1. Wide doorway

Done

2. Accessible bathroom

Done, but at an unacceptable cost. Rather than enlarging the cabin to provide a larger bathroom, you have shrunk the remaining cabin space. As a result:

· the cabin has one closet instead of three. Where do we store clothes for a 21-day cruise?

· the vanity is less than half size with no storage shelves at all and no proper seat for writing, makeup, etc.

· the sofa is removed leaving just a chair and small table. Even then, there is not enough room to get a wheelchair to the bed.

3. Drop rod for hanging clothes

I would like the independence of being able to get my own clothes from the closet, rather than having to burden my wife. A simple swing-down rod accomplishes this and you should know that.

4. Wheelchair access to bed

The bed can only be approached (with a wheelchair) from one side, and that’s only possible after removing furniture from the cabin. Even the foot of the bed was unreachable. Unfortunately, the accessible side was my wife’s side – after 40 years, we can’t change. We have never encountered a room with such poor bed access.

5. Room for a wheelchair!

The room has no sofa, just one armchair and an oval table. Even so, a wheelchair could only go as far the bathroom. Further access required removing the table and chair. So to be “wheelchair accessible”, this cabin is left with a stool and a vanity you can’t sit at. Room service? Out of the question.

This was our first trip on the Zuiderdam but we have been on the Oosterdam twice. The first time we were in cabin 8037 and had no problems. On our second trip we were in cabin 5140. The only way to get to the balcony was by scraping the wall while going past the bed. I had this problem in mind when booking for Panama and was cautious.

No information is available about the actual layout of wheelchair accessible cabins – your website and brochures only depict generic cabin layouts and are never right – so booking is done largely on faith. The deck plan was worrying as cabin 4089 did not appear to be oversize in any way, so I took an extra precaution. While I was sitting in front of my travel agent, she called Holland America and asked whether 4089 was suitable for a wheelchair. She was assured that it was, so we booked.

Had we been properly informed, we had plenty of options – other cabins or other ships – but the assurance we had been given convinced to not explore our other choices. Despite our best efforts, Holland America put us in a cabin unsuitable for our use.

Once on board and finding out what the cabin was like, we had no good choices left. We changed to a standard cabin but this was a dubious improvement. We gained space but lost accessibility. (I coped by using crutches and a lot of help from my wife. But one lurch of the ship resulted in a bad fall, scrapes and bruises.) Whether we stayed in 4089 or moved to 1105 we would not be able enjoy our cabin and cruise as we should.

Although unintentional, Holland America’s poor cabin design and Holland America’s uninformed representative greatly reduced this cruising experience. I do not expect a full refund – we did complete the cruise – but I feel that a 50% refund would reflect the discomfort you have caused.

Archived