Best Way To Pack

momof5js

For those experienced cruisers, what is the best way to pack? Do you fold your clothes, roll your clothes???? My husband's aunt (who's passed away now) said she would put her clothes in dry cleaners sacks & then pack them to prevent wrinkles. Anyone heard of this & know how it's done?

We are going on a Hawaiian Cruise on NCL POH on July 23rd. We are staying a couple days before & after our cruise in Hawaii. So we will be gone for a total of 13 days. I'm going crazy trying to plan for this trip & plan outfits & packing.

Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Laura

We use Eagle Creek "pack it 18" folders and tissue paper. Works like a charm. Rarely have a wrinkle in anything and each folder can hold up to 10 shirts/blouses. Just fold according to directions,laying a sheet of tissue on the shirt b4 folding , then stack them & top with the folding board. I tuck socks and small items in the under lining of the luggage between the metal bars , then top that with the pack it folder. On top of that we put the slacks, alternating direction, legs out until the end, then tuck rolled t-shirts or whatever where the crease would be. THEN I fold the pant legs into the luggage. It may sound complicated, but it gets really easy after the first few. I've also found that putting a flat shirt box or piece of cardboard on top of the last item packed keeps everything straight too. Just got back from a British Isles cruise and I packed DH's suit and my dress in a 21 inch wheel on. NO WRINKLES. I was amazed. Hope this helps!

On my last cruise I decided not to bring my travel iron because I was concerned about the safety issue. I packed most of my clothes rolled up in dry cleaner bags and I brought along the downy wrinkle release. Most things were fine and just needed a little touching up with the wrinkle release.

You might even be able to send stuff out just to be pressed for half the cost of doing laundry.

If need be you can iron some stuff at your precruise hotel, there is usually an iron and a board in most rooms.

I usually roll things. But I suggest using the ship's laundry (self-serve or send out) midway through your cruise, so you can pack half as much clothing. I've heard the plastic dry cleaners' bags work well, especially with formal wear, and I will be trying this in September.

I've been packing in zip lock bags for a while. I fold my teen shirts in half, slip one in per bag, squeeze out the air, and seal it. Everything is in a bag and if I need bigger bags, I use the cleaner's bags. I never have a problem. Works very well.

Archived