Carnival to Baltimore - Not

ParrotRob

There was some discussion recently about the announcement last month of a second cruise line coming to the Port of Baltimore. A lot of us were hoping it would be Carnival, but the port director made the announcement today - it's NCL coming to Baltimore, with 10 7-day cruises from June-August 2008.

There was some discussion recently about the announcement last month of a second cruise line coming to the Port of Baltimore. A lot of us were hoping it would be Carnival, but the port director made the announcement today - it's NCL coming to Baltimore, with 10 7-day cruises from June-August 2008.

Thanks for the update Rob, not good news but we can hope for something in the future. Wonder why Carnival won't jump on that port with so many who would be available to cruise from there?

Ms B

Thanks for the update Rob, not good news but we can hope for something in the future. Wonder why Carnival won't jump on that port with so many who would be available to cruise from there?

Ms B

Beats me. You'd think a mid-Atlantic port within a days drive of over half the population of the US would have some appeal...

Beats me. You'd think a mid-Atlantic port within a days drive of over half the population of the US would have some appeal...

I have no inside information but similar to the questions about Jax, I wonder if they are concerned about the relataively limited intinerary within the 7-8 days many people seem to have from there? While there is a large population base, how many of them want that many sea days to only a couple of destinations? I think Canada and Bermuda are good choices, I just know a lot of people want to go to lots of different Caribbean ports. :)

Just my $.02.

I for one would be willing to take a longer cruise if it meant sailing from Baltimore. Also, I don't mind sea days, I usually PREFER them.

Seriously, a 9 day cruise with a day (or even 2!)at sea at the beginning and at the end would work for me.... that would leave 5-7 days for other fine places to visit! Works for me!

Maybe we should sign a petition to send to Uncle Bob...;)

Carnival would do well out of Baltimore. More and more people are willing to drive a few extra miles than to pay the increasing cost of airfare. Especially families with limited budgets. For my last 2 cruses, living in NE PA, we've driven to NYC. I've of course taken one cruise out of Philly and we certianly hope some one besides NCL and Royal Caribbean dock there; and they expand their cruise availability especailly with the Delaware drugging law passed. See link to Philly port ... http://cruisephilly.org/pages/visitors/destinations.html

Yeah, on what I understand to be one of their smallest, oldest ships:eek: Supposed to be even smaller than Grandeur with fewer balconies:( Oh well, there's always 2009;)

Don't take this wrong but....since when is a 75,000 ton 900 foot long ship small...

Have sailed her twice...she was beautiful.....

On the subject of the port. They might have some stupid problem like here in Tampa. here it is two. The bridge at the base of Tampa Bay will only allow ships the size of the Fantasy calls....Vision Class....and Spirit Class under it. Also the width of the channel in for shippinf in the bay.

Bridges are definately the problem - there are two here as well (Key and Bay Bridge). And don't get me wrong, I've sailed on the Grandeur and loved her. But the ship they're bringing in will have even less appeal to families cruising out of the NE region. Given the fact that last year we were at sea for a full 48 hours before our first landfall, there has to be a lot of activities for kids to stay occupied:)

This is old news. Reported here on 4/24/07 (post #66): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=526788&page=3&highlight=carnival+baltimore

and here on 4/26/07: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=538730&highlight=baltimore

Archived