Around South America

MarRic

Cruising around South America is a wonderful experience. We have done it two times. You will see wonderful scenery all around you. Personally, I think it is more beautiful than Alaska with far fewer cruise ships which makes many of the ports less crowded.

Keith

I have done this sailing twice. First time was from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires. Second time included Valparaiso to Rio.

I would recommend Valparaiso to Buenos Aires.

Some of the highlights included:

Punta Arenas. You travel to the Penguin Reserve. This is the best one I've been to for viewing Penguins. Very prestine and you get very close to the Penguins.

Ushuaia. I've done two different tours here. First time did a trek (hike) at the Tierra Mayor National Reserve. It was beautiful. Enjoyed the scenery and the fresh air. A wonderful day. Second time did a catamaran on the Beagle Channel. Again very nice scenery and nice views of wildlife.

Buenos Aires, Argenina. A beautiful city with a very European Flavor. If you cruise begins or ends here, spend a couple of days.

Each cruises itinerary will vary so if you have other ports in mind let me know. You will also see lots of beautiful scenery from the ship, from Fjords to the breataking landscape.

On both cruises we sailed around Cape Horn and on the most recent cruise we sailed off the coast of Antarctica for about 2 1/2 days. That was breathtaking. The views of Antarctica were amazing and the wildlife that you could see from the ship was also amazing from Penguins to Whales. And, at one point there was something like ten whales off the bow of the ship.

Keith

Will be cruising from Ft.Lauderdale to Ft lauderdale on RSSC with family. I have cruised and toured in Alaska so definitly looking forward to the scenery. But were there any places you saw that you definitly would say " I am so glad I did that". Looking for the really special places. And if, you had any of these experiences were they on your own, ship or private tours.

MarRic - We did the Valparaiso to Buenos Aires cruise and found South America to be very beautiful and exotic. Be prepared for some rough seas at times but its an amazing part of the world. Must see:

Valparaiso - get a tour of the city before boarding the ship. Very beautiful and make sure they take you to Vina del Mar - the tourist area north of the port.

Ushia - take the tour that goes to the National Park there

Falkland Islands - spend the money and go see the King penguins. The ship's tour is the only one and its expensive but quite an experience.

Buenos Aires - if you disembark there take the tour of the city that also goes to an estancia (ranch) outside of town for a BBQ and guacho show, and then finally to the airport. NOTE: The Buenos Aires airport is badly run and the gates for flights to the US don't even open until about 6:30 pm.

Have a great cruise!

Asking for advice on south america is a bit vague - its a big continent with many different countries and varied cultures, it migh help if you say which ports you are going to. For example are you going to Peru? Personally i think cruising is the worst way to see south america as many of the best sights require in land journeys. If you are planning to visit Peru i can help as i am married to a Peruvian and visit regular. I have also worked in the Falklands

Will be cruising from Ft.Lauderdale to Ft lauderdale on RSSC with family. I have cruised and toured in Alaska so definitly looking forward to the scenery. But were there any places you saw that you definitly would say " I am so glad I did that". Looking for the really special places. And if, you had any of these experiences were they on your own, ship or private tours.

I would say that visiting Macchu Picchu and Cusco is a once in a lifetime experience. The 2 days we spent at Iquazu Falls were phenomenal as well. The Iquasso Falls are generally available as a very expensive excursion from Buenos Aires, unfortunately, BA is a wonderful stop and I would hate to miss it in order to fly to Iquasso. The glaciers were spectacular, and I am sure that they are similar to those in Alaska.

jc

Thanks to all. At this point hope to be doing Machu Picchu and Iguazu Falls from Rio. Will just have to see whatever else falls in place for the other places. I'm sure it will great whatever I am privileged to see and do.

Archived