ATM in Gibraltar

Both, you have to ask the machine to give you pounds sterling or euro.

If you ask for sterling, you may get local notes which are not 'legal tender' in UK so try to make sure that you get them changed in a shop. I have actually been to my bank in UK and they have made a straightforward exchange of gib to uk pounds when I had the wrong ones on a holiday.

You can easily change in a local exchange bureau, they give as good a rate as the bank. They do not charge commission. Obviously you should always check the rate before you hand over your money.

There is sometimes an issue with ban charges. The most accessible ATM is Barclays. I am not sure if that is yours. Nat West is off the Main Street - I could direct you, and it is very near, but you might not notice it.

I will try to remember to go to an exchange shop tomorrow and ask what the dollar exchange rate is. I will post the answer.

Thank you ollienbertsmum for the tip. I am cruising to all Euro ports after Gibraltar so I am inclined to get Euros from the ATM. Do all the ATM's dispense either currency? Do all the businesses (tourist related) accept Euros and if so, at a favorable exchange rate or does the local vendor charge a high surcharge? If so, the I guess it will be gib.

When we have shopped in Gibraltar the merchants all accepted Euros with a decent exchange rate. Its hard to justify getting Gibraltar pounds if you are there for just a port stop and when we are cruising in the Med we simply use Euros. In fact, most of the merchants and restaurants/cafes will even give you your change in Euros (you should make this request) unless they cannot make the change.

Hank

Check before you shop that you will get your change in Euro if this is important. Legal tender is sterling so some businesses do not do the favour of giving change in Euro.

I checked at one exchange bureau and I was quoted 68 Euro for $100, (at todays rate) which I do not think is bad for a small amount.

Barclays is a Visa/Plus machine. There is a Royal Bank of Scotland (you need to ask for directions because it is 5 mins out of Main Street, there is also a Nat West which is round the corner from Main Street - ask a policeman for directions. People like asking our friendly British Bobbies these sorts of questions. Got to keep them busy.

Do all the ATM's dispense either currency? Do all the businesses (tourist related) accept Euros and if so, at a favorable exchange rate or does the local vendor charge a high surcharge? If so, the I guess it will be gib.

I have only ever used my own ATM, but I am pretty sure that Bank of Scotland and Nat West will give both Euro and Sterling.

The exchange rate in shops is usually reasonably good, but check first. If you have cash in hand and are not completely happy with the exchange rate and are on Main Street you can always nip out to the nearest exchange bureau !

Enjoy your trip to Gibraltar, any more questions?

Archived