What to do in Vancouver while waiting to go back to airport?

PH8

Ok,heres the scenerio...............we get off our ship(probably by 9am)on a Sunday...our flight home that night is at 7pm(which means we have to be at airport no later than 5,I imagine)........

Never have been to Vancouver before........what do you suggest to spend the day?? It will be 3 of us(me,husband and 19yr daughter)......

Rent a car?? Take a tour with a tour company??? Have one of you friendly cruise critic Vancouvens(??) pick up and drive us around,take us home for lunch icon_wink.gif~~ONLY KIDDING!!

I have pretty much figured out all the Alaskan port stuff I am doing thanks to all the info on here..........Now gotta work on this...

THANKS!!! icon_biggrin.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;30;15;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000 RCCL Serenade--5/30--Alaska

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;10;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 RCCL Jewel--10/28--repositioning

**RCCL SOS-8/27/04** Carnival Miracle-2/13/05**

I'm sure Vancouverites can answer better than I, but I will still tell you what we plan to do. We are, however, spending an additional night in Vancouver, flying out early the next morning. If you could find a place to store your luggage, this might be fun for you, too.

We are all buying trolley tickets to tour the city. A bit touristy, perhaps, but it will give us a taste of the city without the hassle of rental cars and figuring out bus routes. Go to www.vancouvertrolley.com , they have a $1 off coupon you can print.

We have done this in other cities and had a great time. The trolley tour should be narrated, so you can find out things you would not find in travel guides.

Have a great cruise!

Kathy

I understand that there is a place to check your luggage at the cruise ship terminal or you might want to take it upstairs to the Pan Pacific Hotel and check it with the bell captain there.

Then go out and enjoy Vanoucer. We are a beautiful city with lots to see and do.

2 blocks over fromt he cruise ship terminal (to your left) is Gas Town the old part of Vancovuer revitalized for the tourist trade with lots of neat shops and restaurants. While in Gas Twon see the steam clock and the statue of Gassey Jack

I also like to go up The Lookout on the Harbour Centre Tower for a spectacular view of the city.

www.vancouverlookout.com

2 blocks over from Gas Town is China Town - the largest China Town north of San Fransisco - here you will find Dr. Sun Yat Sen Classical Chinese Gardend www.vancouverchinesegardens.com

Accross the street from the gardens is the world's skinnest building built by Mr Lee only 6' wide!!!

However I would suggest that you head for hte North Shore and Grouse Mountain (15 mins away from downtown) wherre at the top you can see 2 grizzlie bears, enjoy a loggers show, experience the Theatre in the Sky & more www.grousemountain.com. On the way back from Grouse Mountain stop off at the Capilano Suspension Bridge once across the gently swaying span you step into a world of towering evergreens with a treetop walkway so you can get up close to life in the tall trees. Watch First Nations carvers at work, see magnificent totem poles and of course stop off to shop at the Trading Post.

www.capbridge.com

The above 2 items should fill you time in Vancouver. If you have any time lifet over drive around Stanley Park.

Enjoy our wonderful city. The above items can be done via city bus or to make the most of your time ride the Sea bus tothe north shore (sea bus terminal is right next to the cruise ship dock) and then grab a taxi to Grouse Mountain.

I would get a car, put the bags in the back, then spend the day touring - north shore, Granville Island, various neighborhoods, Chinatown, QE2 and/or Van Dusen Gardens, Capilano (or better, Lynn Canyon) suspension bridge; see the East Asian street market on S. Main, watch the cricketers at Stanley Park, see one of the best aquariums in N. America, fish and chips at Steveston, walk along the beach at the Spanish Banks, see the anthropology museum at the UBC (one of the best); shop in Yaletown or Gastown (IMO bleh) on Robsen or S. Granville or Main (antiques in the last 2); buy tea at Murchie's, books at Duthie's, a blanket for $$$ at the Bay. So many things...

Drop the car at the airport. So there's a drop fee...still cheaper than a cab.

Until Oceania Insignia 4/23 Rome - Barcelona

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;4;23;18;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Thanks for all the great suggestions..........

Kathy(HappyKs)-trolley looks like fun....good possibility............

Megan--those tours look good,but the times wont work......

BC~~such detail and great links.........maybe we should walk or do the seabus??How far from the seabus to Grouse Mt??

Cujo~~I looked at the Vancouver Port site and it said luggage storage at both piers..........I'm gonna call later and ask for sure...

Gardy~~if we rent a car, which is the most convenient location to Ballantyne??

Thanks again to EVERYONE icon_biggrin.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;30;15;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000 RCCL Serenade--5/30--Alaska

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;10;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 RCCL Jewel--10/28--repositioning

**RCCL SOS-8/27/04** Carnival Miracle-2/13/05**

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Drop the car at the airport. So there's a drop fee...still cheaper than a cab.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm doing the Avis rental car thing. Plus there isn't a drop fee, at least when I made the reservation.

mpk - I've been looking at the Avis rental cars for Vancouver and they seem VERY reasonably priced. Are you picking up at the Hornsby and W. Georgia location? Looks like that location is the closest to the piers. Are thinking of renting a car and sightseeing and returning to airport. Looks like this will be cheaper than even taking a taxi to the airport.

Until we set sail to Alaska on the Serenade of The Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;09;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

Archived