milk?

Janespup

You may think I'm crazy but I just realized that I might have to go several days without my milk! I drink several glasses of 1% every day. Does anyone know if it available on board? Thanks.

jane

You may think I'm crazy but I just realized that I might have to go several days without my milk! I drink several glasses of 1% every day. Does anyone know if it available on board? Thanks.

jane

Yes, on buffet, in dining room and from room service

Thank you all so much! I can't believe that was the thing I was worried about. I can't tell you how relieved I am. (Like someone not having their coffee or beer, I guess!)

Jane

jane

Of course they have milk. In fact, somewhere hidden beneath the crew quarters there are cows on treadmills to help make low fat milk and not just the full fat milk. :D

You can also go up on the Lido deck in the dining area and request milk. It is of course closed, but any worker up there can get you some. We always went up about 11 pm. On the Glory, we knew where it was and was told to help ourselves. Oh yes, of course we had a glass each night with the chocolate melting cake.

On our cruise last year, we wanted to have milk available for our 3 year old first thing in the morning. She likes it when she first wakes up. We took a small carton of milk from the dinner buffet and put it in our ice bucket, filled with ice, of course. Was still very cold the next morning, our DD was very happy.

Have a great cruise

Be sure to SMELL IT before drinking it.

DH had an unfortunate occurance one night with a few cartons from room service. The cartons are put out on the buffet for lord knows how long, and I'm sure they attempt to keep them cold. But we ended up with a few that didn't make it. The expiration date was fine, it was just sour from being left out too long or the chill/warm/chill/warm cycle of being put out for buffet after buffet.

The other experiences we've had with milk have been fine, and technically, he probably should have smelled it before he CHUGGED THE WHOLE THING (:eek: ) LOL...but just wanted to pass on the word of advice. :D

you don't say where you're cruising. if it's europe they use a bizarre boxed milk that's shelf stable for 7 years. :eek:

This might have something to do with the fact that European milk will go off after a few days, no preservatives. Also Countries visited vary a lot on there hygiene and milk production services... In the states milk lasts so long and so does bread. In europe you buy bread every other day for freshness. Here it stays soft for about a month.:D

The milk on board probably comes from a company named Parmalat. They sell UHT milk, which is pasteurized at ultra high temperature. UHT processing allows for longer storage. the warm/cool/warm cycle should not degrade the milk as long as it's seal has been maintained.

Given this, my nose still privides a good detectgion of whether or not a seal was broken...Allow yours to do so as well...

Happy Cruising

This might have something to do with the fact that European milk will go off after a few days, no preservatives. Also Countries visited vary a lot on there hygiene and milk production services... In the states milk lasts so long and so does bread. In europe you buy bread every other day for freshness. Here it stays soft for about a month.:D

Actually, it depends on the country. In Spain they drink shelf-stable (UHT) milk almost entirely. In Germany you can get ultra-filtered milk, like in Canada) which isn't UHT treated but will stay fresh on shelves for a month. In many countries they only use powdered milk for coffee or even sweetened condensed milk in a tube.

Bread freshness depends on a number of different factors. French baguettes, for example, should only be fresh for a few hours because the bread contains no oil. Natural loaves with oil or butter should be fresh for three or four days if kept in a paper bag.

North American bread, sold in plastic bags and mass produced are so full of chemicals and yeast that they stay "fresh" much longer. The inordinate amount of yeast leads men to have itchy bums and ladies to have yeast infections. The bread itself has no real scent, the scent is actually impregnated in the plastic bags as a sales tool. Not to mention that vitamins have to added to the bread to give it any nutritional value. One company in the US even went ahead and put wood pulp into their bread in order to increase the fibre content of the bread (and humans couldn't absorb it. Not to mention the adding of flax seeds for Omega 3 fatty acid, despite the fact that humans can only get the Omega 3 fatty acid if the seeds are actually pulverized.)

Archived