Tipping porters in Florida ports?

mongoose327

I just read on another board that the porters at the Port of Tampa and Port Carnavral do not expect to be tipped. This is in contrast to Miami where they expect $1.00 a bag. Has anyone else heard this or experienced something different.

Thanks,

Beth

I just read on another board that the porters at the Port of Tampa and Port Carnavral do not expect to be tipped. This is in contrast to Miami where they expect $1.00 a bag. Has anyone else heard this or experienced something different.

Thanks,

Beth

I'm voting troll:rolleyes:

Tom

Thanks,

Beth

I live in Tampa and cruise out of here often....I give the porter $3.00 for two bags on arrival. When I leave I have them grab the bags and walk me through customs and give them $5.00.

Whowever told you this is being silly. They (as all porters) live on tips....;)

Which board did you read that on..???????

I've always tipped at both of those ports, in spite of a HUGE sign at Port Canaveral (maybe Tampa, I don't remember seeing it) that says something like, "Porters are salaried and do not require tips."

While I agree with everyone on the need to tip - I did just read the below on another board. The OP did not make it up , it was in an artical about 6 common mistakes first time cruisers make..

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

. Always watch your luggage

Any time you transfer luggage from one vehicle to another, keep your eyes on your bags at all times. Never let a taxi drive away until you are sure you have all your luggage; and when you give bags to a porter, double-check that every bag that should go into your stateroom or hotel room is on his cart. When you arrive in your room, count your bags immediately.

Be prepared to tip anyone who transports your bags, at about one dollar per bag. This is not required at some cruise terminals, notably Ft. Lauderdale and Tampa. However, the porters in Miami expect a tip and will wait for one. Just remember that the terminal porters are not the people who put your bags onto the ship. All they do is take them to the security-screening machine. There is no need to over-tip them; a dollar per bag is fine.

While I agree with everyone on the need to tip - I did just read the below on another board. The OP did not make it up , it was in an artical about 6 common mistakes first time cruisers make..

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

. Always watch your luggage

Any time you transfer luggage from one vehicle to another, keep your eyes on your bags at all times. Never let a taxi drive away until you are sure you have all your luggage; and when you give bags to a porter, double-check that every bag that should go into your stateroom or hotel room is on his cart. When you arrive in your room, count your bags immediately.

Be prepared to tip anyone who transports your bags, at about one dollar per bag. This is not required at some cruise terminals, notably Ft. Lauderdale and Tampa. However, the porters in Miami expect a tip and will wait for one. Just remember that the terminal porters are not the people who put your bags onto the ship. All they do is take them to the security-screening machine. There is no need to over-tip them; a dollar per bag is fine.

Where was the artical from? Not who posted it but who wrote the artical......???? Please lead me to the source.

I would love to read it and respond to this cheap person.

I am hoping it was a newspaper person.

I'll bet they don't tip independent taxi drivers either...;)

I've always tipped at both of those ports, in spite of a HUGE sign at Port Canaveral (maybe Tampa, I don't remember seeing it) that says something like, "Porters are salaried and do not require tips."

but they certainly let you know they want/expect tips or thats what happened the last time I went through Port Canaveral

As my father has always said "tip if you want to see you bags at the end of your destination:) ".

My sentiments exactly. For the sake of a few dollars I want to make SURE my bags reach my ship!

Kim

http://www.cruisemates.com/

It is right on the landing page- part 2 of the artical.

They did indeed recommend tipping, just stating the facts regarding the "policies" . I've seen the signage at Port Everglades myself, haven't been to Tampa.

Thank you for letting me know about that. I have to be down at the Port of Tampa on Tuesday.....I will look for those signs. I live in Tampa and cruise out of here often. Have never seen these signs....Will keep you all posted.

I always tip anyways.....;)

Thank you for letting me know about that. I have to be down at the Port of Tampa on Tuesday.....I will look for those signs. I live in Tampa and cruise out of here often. Have never seen these signs....Will keep you all posted.

I always tip anyways.....;)

Port Authority website for Tampa says porters are compensated by the cruislines and tipping is discretionary. Here's the link to FAQ.

http://www.tampaport.com/admin/documents/FAQ%20Cruise.pdf

Isn't all tipping discretionary? Even onboard ship you have the option of removing the tips from your sail and sign card. Anyway....I don't remember the signs in Tampa...but vaguely remember something about "...though tips are still appreciated" at PC.

This is what it says at the back of the Carnival 2006-2008 brochure under Baggage Assistance:

Curbside porters are available at the pier to take luggage to the vessel for delivery by shipboard personnel to your stateroom. Customary tip is $1 per bag. Please be sure each piece of luggage is locked and has a tag listing your name and stateroom number. Curbside porters are not employees of Carnival; therefore, if you experience any problems, please report them to porter management on site. Carnival assumes no responsibility for carry-on luggage. Any luggage left at the pier will be forwarded at the guest's expense. Claims for luggage loss or damage must be made in writing to the debarkation personnel prior to leaving the pier area.

Isn't all tipping discretionary?

This is what it says at the back of the Carnival 2006-2008 brochure under Baggage Assistance:

Curbside porters are not employees of Carnival; therefore, if you experience any problems, please report them to porter management on site. Carnival assumes no responsibility for carry-on luggage. Any luggage left at the pier will be forwarded at the guest's expense.

They may be discretionary, but if you want to make SURE your bags make it on the ship, I'd strongly suggest you tip - and we make it $2 a bag to be sure! This is not the place that I want to start "economizing".

Archived