Jet skiing on Cococay? How is it?

My husband was interested in doing the Jetski excursion with our kids (teens). My son is old enough to ride on his own, but my daughter would have to ride with one of us (and I don't know if I really want to do it, or not)

What has everyone experienced? Is it a rough ride, or is it okay? Is it worth the money??

Thanks!

My husband did this one--he LOVED it, but you do have to ride in a line with the others--you don't get to go off own your own! On hubby's excursion, some woman wasn't following instructions, and fell off the back--complained of a hurt back--it was the last ride of the day, and held up the ship's departure, since they had to send a backboard out to pick up this woman (who wouldn't listen!!!) She ended up being ok, and the rest of the group was sort of "stuck" out there until help arrived.

Ahhh the elusive coco cay.:eek:

You may not get too many replies...I know families that have booked those but have never made it to coco cay.

Multiple attempts.

Getting to coco cay seems to be based on luck........so don't take it personally if the replies don't come in droves.

We been on two cuises that included Coco Cay and made it there both times. My husband went on the wave runner last time and had a BLAST! He said you can go pretty much at your own pace, so if you had a child on the back it would be OK. Also they give you special vests with handles on the side so the person on the back has some where to "hang on". He said it was definately worth the money. We're going on the the Liberty in July and he's already planning on the same excursion in Labadee.

It's fun! When you get your orientation with the instructor, he will assign you a number from 1-10, based on how "adventurous" you look, I guess. The lead guy goes really fast and you keep up with him so you go fast if you are numbers 1-4. That may go up to #9 for all I know, because we were in the front. My point is that there is a pickup guy at the end of the line of jetskis and if you don't think you want to go full-throttle, get placed toward the end, or if you want to go crazy get placed at the front of the line. Both riders wear lifejackets and the driver wears an additional harness with handles so the passenger has a place to hold on.

It was a pretty scary ride!

Both of my teenaged nephews did separate waverunner excursions on Coco Cay last August, and both reported that if you didn't keep up, you were severely chastised by the excursion leaders. So don't assume it will be okay to poke along at your own rate, because it may NOT be, depending on who you get that day. They run a number of these excursions each day and have to stay on schedule.

That said, both boys LOVED it and would do it again in a heartbeat. Yes it's rough, yes it's fast...just their speed. :rolleyes:

Have a great time!

Hey Martha, I have your Coco Cay souvenir sitting on my kitchen counter! ;)

YEAAAAA!!!!!!!! You're the best! Do you still have my email for the address? (Everyone else - I bet you're wondering what she brought me? huh? huh?) :p

I've read several of your posts since you got back - sounds like you and your friends had a great time and are detoxed (for the time being!).:D

I told several of my girlfriends about mommy detox...they're definitely envious!

(sorry everyone to be OT)..now back to your regularly scheduled programming. ;)

Another thought about the waverunner excursion: We had a 12:40 booked and I was starving and wanted to eat before we went and the others wanted to wait b/c they didn't want to eat and then bounce around. I ate and then asked what time lunch stopped and it was 1:30, so be sure to remember that when you book your excursion time! I was nice and took a plate of hotdogs and cookies to my cruise buddies so they had something to eat.

Martha, can't find your email so mine is jenn4chn at yahoo dot com.

Mommy detox was wonderful. So wonderful that we are booking the Enchantment for May 2008. We've done the Sovereign trip 2 years in a row and while it's great, the steak snob in me wants to do Chops. Plus I've always wanted to go to Key West! The 4th night is a bonus too!

Another thought about the waverunner excursion: We had a 12:40 booked and I was starving and wanted to eat before we went and the others wanted to wait b/c they didn't want to eat and then bounce around. I ate and then asked what time lunch stopped and it was 1:30, so be sure to remember that when you book your excursion time! I was nice and took a plate of hotdogs and cookies to my cruise buddies so they had something to eat.

Martha, can't find your email so mine is jenn4chn at yahoo dot com.

You've got mail! :D

Mommy detox was wonderful. So wonderful that we are booking the Enchantment for May 2008. We've done the Sovereign trip 2 years in a row and while it's great, the steak snob in me wants to do Chops. Plus I've always wanted to go to Key West! The 4th night is a bonus too!

Next time I want to do Chops too...I'm definitely a steak snob!

Archived