Tri Rail Train

jean212

Yep, it is somewhat convenient. However, they bus you from the FLL airport to the TriRail Terminal next to the freeway. Also at the MIA end you also have to take a bus to the MIA Terminal. Could be sketchy if you have tight connections. We actually had PIL take us to the FLL TriRail and the bus from the Airport runs about every 20 minutes. At the MIA end, we got off of the Tri Rail and had to wait about 15 minutes for the bus to the airport to arrive. Not completely practical if you have many bags. (I also would not use the MIA end late at night, it did not seem like it was in a very safe location. But you could say that of most of Miami)

I think this is a commuter train mostly, Id check about luggage restrictions. Its connected in with the bus system as someone else mentioned which makes it handy. Im picturing rush hour and packed with people and a family trying to board with 5 pieces of luggage :(

It's never packed, ridership numbers are dismal. The reason being it's very unreliable. It's not uncommon for delays and breakdowns to occur where you literally sit on the trains for hours waiting to go again. If the train is stuck for 3 hours or more then they'll send a bus to pick up the passengers and bring them to the next stop (not even their destination stop). It's not tourist friendly, heck it's not even commuter freindly, just another boondoggle in SoFla. Until Tri-Rail gets it's act together, stay far away less you want to ruin your vacation...:eek:

Thank you all. Now I'll have to rethink all this. My DH booked a flight into Fort Lauderdale, but of course we'll have to travel to the Miami port to catch the ship. We're coming down a day early to avoid the same day anxieties of traveling and catching the ship, and we haven't made definate hotel plans yet. Can anyone recommend a shuttle or whatever to get to Miami? We can stay either in Fort Lauderdale or Miami. I really don't want to rent a car.

For $18 per person, Tri County Airport Express will take you from FLL to your hotel in Miami (taxi runs $75-$85). Reservations are not required, when you arrive at the airport, collect your luggage and go outside the baggage claim area, lower level, curbside, contact one of our starters (customer services reps.) wearing a white shirt with "AIRPORT EXPRESS" in red on the back of the shirt and an emblem on the sleeve and over the breast pocket. Let the starter know what service you are interested in and he/she will assist you.

http://www.floridalimo.com/Pages/sharedr.html

I have riden tri-rail alot lately. It has gotten so much better. It really is a nice way to travel. Its fun to watch the back-up in traffic on I-95 and your just zipping along.

There really is no limit for luggage, just remember you have to handle it, no one else will.

When you board the train there is luggage racks in each car. Put your luggage in the rack and sit in one of those seats on the bottom level of the train.

If you are planning to fly into Ft. Lauderdale and go to Miami to stay in a hotel, then I say go for it, as long its not a night.

Linda

Archived