Casa de Campo ~ Shuttle

Hi Terry! One of our DD's and her husband was at Altos de Chavon 2 years ago when they stayed at the all-inclusive resort nearby. I've never been there so I have no firsthand experience. She said it was really beautiful and the craftsmen were selling unique works of art, but I hope there's some kind of shuttle that goes from the ship to the village.

Someone here said that Celebrity had one, so maybe there's one available to us as well. Isn't your niece Christie going there this week? She'll let us know, and so will Suzanne. Can't wait to hear what they have to say about it! :D Here's the riverboat that they take you onto the Chavon river tour with.

SaonaPaddleboat_350.jpg

I have first hand experience on being in Altos De Chavon and Bayhibe Beach in the Dominican Republic. They are both incredible places to see.

I just posted pictures of being in this port yesterday actually on the ports of call photos album on this site. I posted pics of Altos De Chavon and Bayhibe beach.

When I was at this port it was while on a Celebrity Cruise. The first part of the day we just hired a regular shuttle, not affliated with Celebrity. Later coming back from Altos De Chavon, we did utilize one of the Celebrity shuttles, so yes, they are offered. Unfortunately, I dont know if RC offers this. Maybe you can utilize them since they are owned by the same company. I would ask, they might just take you back and forth.

When I first got off the ship, we just went to the taxi stand, which was very structured from what I recall and this bus not part of Celebrity took us and at least 15 other people to Bayhibe which was so amazing and I felt safe, not scared at all there.

Then from there we were taken to Altos De Chavon which was one of the most unique and beautiful village type places I have ever seen. The stores are not crap, I bought quite a bit there (jewelry, clothes, pottery) and I thought they had unique, wonderful beautiful items. There was good shopping, many shops I liked.

It is true, while on a shuttle or bus, its scary to see the horrendously poor countryside conditions and the animals are gaunt (cows, goats etc) but when you get to places like Altos De Chavon and Bayhibe its totally worth it.

We also ate at an Italian restuarant there in Altos De Chavon which was INDREDIBLE.

Hope this helps a little even thought I cant answer your shuttle question.

Hi Terry! One of our DD's and her husband was at Altos de Chavon 2 years ago when they stayed at the all-inclusive resort nearby. I've never been there so I have no firsthand experience. She said it was really beautiful and the craftsmen were selling unique works of art, but I hope there's some kind of shuttle that goes from the ship to the village.

Someone here said that Celebrity had one, so maybe there's one available to us as well. Isn't your niece Christie going there this week? She'll let us know, and so will Suzanne. Can't wait to hear what they have to say about it! :D Here's the riverboat that they take you onto the Chavon river tour with.

SaonaPaddleboat_350.jpg

Yes, I'll be on the same cruise as Christie! We can't wait, just a few more days now. Thanks again for the pictures! :)

I have first hand experience on being in Altos De Chavon and Bayhibe Beach in the Dominican Republic. They are both incredible places to see.

I just posted pictures of being in this port yesterday actually on the ports of call photos album on this site. I posted pics of Altos De Chavon and Bayhibe beach.

When I was at this port it was while on a Celebrity Cruise. The first part of the day we just hired a regular shuttle, not affliated with Celebrity. Later coming back from Altos De Chavon, we did utilize one of the Celebrity shuttles, so yes, they are offered. Unfortunately, I dont know if RC offers this. Maybe you can utilize them since they are owned by the same company. I would ask, they might just take you back and forth.

When I first got off the ship, we just went to the taxi stand, which was very structured from what I recall and this bus not part of Celebrity took us and at least 15 other people to Bayhibe which was so amazing and I felt safe, not scared at all there.

Then from there we were taken to Altos De Chavon which was one of the most unique and beautiful village type places I have ever seen. The stores are not crap, I bought quite a bit there (jewelry, clothes, pottery) and I thought they had unique, wonderful beautiful items. There was good shopping, many shops I liked.

It is true, while on a shuttle or bus, its scary to see the horrendously poor countryside conditions and the animals are gaunt (cows, goats etc) but when you get to places like Altos De Chavon and Bayhibe its totally worth it.

We also ate at an Italian restuarant there in Altos De Chavon which was INDREDIBLE.

Hope this helps a little even thought I cant answer your shuttle question.

Thanks for this first-hand experience! It sounds like you really made a nice day there. :)

Its not a far ride at all. We decided to take a taxi since the shuttle lines were out of control. They were a bit unprepared for us since we were on the first ever RCCL sailing to Casa De Campo. Being the size of our ship, the Explorer, there was lots of choas throughout the pier area. A lot of people were cutting lines and arguing with one another over taxis and shuttles. It is a beautiful place to visit, however, it is VERY poor.

Yes there were many taxis. There is a taxi line a few feet away from the shuttle line that goes by very quickly. Its different though because the driver waited for us in the parking lot near Altos De Chivon the whole day while we were there. We obviously tipped him a lot extra because during that day he could have been servicing other people.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! :) I agree that they deserve a nice tip if they wait for you.

I do hope that there are a lot of taxis in the parking lot waiting to go back to the ship, because I realize that sometimes the drivers won't tie up their time and wait.

Enchantment.. So in essence you are hiring the taxi driver for the day? If so, how much did he charge for that and how many different spots did you go to? Did he do a tour of sorts, explaining the sights as you drove or was it a Point A to Point B kind of thing?

Thank you!

Thanks for the feedback!! :)

Enchantment...Were the taxis plentiful? Feedback is appreciated!

Oh...I found a picture of Bayahibe Beach . Supposedly not far from the pier :) :

tbb-saona01-744021.jpg

Labels: bayahibe, casa de campo, Dominican Republic Beaches, hispaniola, la romana

What a beautiful picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks! :)

Christie: Since they have taxis there at the pier we all can see how everything's going and just decide that day if we want to do anything. We're going to take one port at a time and not make many advance plans, other than El Jibarito in San Juan! :D

What a beautiful picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks! :)

Christie: Since they have taxis there at the pier we all can see how everything's going and just decide that day if we want to do anything. We're going to take one port at a time and not make many advance plans, other than El Jibarito in San Juan! :D

Sounds good to me, Auntie SeaSpray! :D

• 5 weeks later...

We need more feedback and reviews of this port.

How is the snorkeling tour they offer through RCI there?

Is the open air tour to the Sugar and Cigar factory a good trip or a hell ride in the back of a dilapidated fruit truck?

This ports feedback makes Jamaica sound like a day in the park.

Please.. if you are reading this and go to this port, posta review of the activities, or if you know someone who has or is going, encourage them to post

Thanks for posting the photos!

You're welcome.

I do hope we can keep this thread on the first page so we can learn about this port.

I'm going there during my cruise in 3 weeks, and I have a feeling I'll be the only one answering my own thread's questions.

You're welcome.

I do hope we can keep this thread on the first page so we can learn about this port.

I'm going there during my cruise in 3 weeks, and I have a feeling I'll be the only one answering my own thread's questions.

There should be a sailing to this port before yours, so hopefully we will be getting some feed back soon! If not, we'll be looking for your complete review!:D

Archived