Over the counter meds to help with NORO

I always bring some anti-naseua meds. They come in chewable or liquid form. Good for all kinds of things, especially drinking indiscretions. :rolleyes: They sell them in drug store.

I was worried last Jan when we went on the Crown that I was coming down with a sinus infection (I was'nt) so my Doc. gave me Septra DS 800-160 TAB. Its an antibiotic but he also said If we were to catch "ship sickness" it would help with that.

I was worried last Jan when we went on the Crown that I was coming down with a sinus infection (I was'nt) so my Doc. gave me Septra DS 800-160 TAB. Its an antibiotic but he also said If we were to catch "ship sickness" it would help with that.

An antibiotic wouldnt help against the "ship sickness" if he is referring to Norovirus. Antibiotics only work on bacterial infections.

Actually,

This is an antibiotic preparation of a sulfa antibiotic plus trimethoprim. The brand name is Bactrim or Septra. It is used to treat a wide range of infections, from urinary tract infections to skin infections and certain kinds of pneumonia.

Trimethoprim eliminates bacteria that cause urinary tract infections. It is used in combination with other drugs to treat certain types of pneumonia. It also is used to treat 'travelers' diarrhea.' Antibiotics will not work for colds, flu, or other viral infections.

Actually,

This is an antibiotic preparation of a sulfa antibiotic plus trimethoprim. The brand name is Bactrim or Septra. It is used to treat a wide range of infections, from urinary tract infections to skin infections and certain kinds of pneumonia.

Trimethoprim eliminates bacteria that cause urinary tract infections. It is used in combination with other drugs to treat certain types of pneumonia. It also is used to treat 'travelers' diarrhea.' Antibiotics will not work for colds, flu, or other viral infections.

Yes, it will treat Travelers Diarrhea if the underlying cause is a bacteria :)

According to a news article, RCI said that passengers responded well to an over-the-counter medication....but the article didn't give the name of the OTC med. Perhaps someone here with good contacts at RCI can find out what it was---or perhaps one of the LOS passengers who were treated in the ship's infirmary will know.

During a recent outbreak, I read that the ship's medical was giving out Immodium to affected passengers. :)

Norovirus is a stomach flu. Imodium or any other "anti". If you get it, stop eating, drink water and take the Anti, and don't forget the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce and toast) after 24 hours. Works almost every time. 24/48 good as new...almost

Note: If you go to the infirmary onboard they will shut your seapass off so that you cannot get off the ship. A couple had this happen and they wound up on the ship the entire cruise.

Just stay put, ride it out.

Stupid question, but I gotta ask. If I start taking these meds say..the day before I set sail and take them every day, can it prevent me from getting Noro?

No. Taking prophylactic antibiotics can help prevent a bacterial mediated bout of diarrhea, but will not do anything to prevent norovirus. Handwashing and hygiene are your best bets to head off norovirus. Once contracted, Immodium and electrolyte/fluid replenishment over 24-48 hrs is the treatment.

Note: If you go to the infirmary onboard they will shut your seapass off so that you cannot get off the ship. A couple had this happen and they wound up on the ship the entire cruise.

Just stay put, ride it out.

Are you wearing a flame-retardant suit?:rolleyes:

Of COURSE you should go to the infirmary, for your own sake and for the sake of your fellow passengers! The doctor or nurse will give you the medication you need and will tell you what kind of foods you should eat once you can stand the thought of eating something again.

Boo hoo if you aren't allowed off the ship (actually, you are confined to your cabin, which is even more restrictive) - if you go around the ship touching things you will inevitably pass the illness on - look what happened on Liberty last week.

<hopping off soapbox to make way for the next person...>

Norovirus

When the word “food pathogens” is mentioned, most will people will associate it with salmonella, E.coli or listeria. Although they are true pathogens, the symptoms they produce are initially similar to a common gastro virus called the norovirus. Viruses are very different from bacteria and parasites. They are not affected by treatment with antibiotics, and they cannot grow outside of a person’s body.

You see, the norovirus is a very common virus that causes nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and some stomach cramping. Sometimes people also have a low-grade fever, chills, headache, muscle aches, and a general sense of tiredness. The illness often begins suddenly, and the infected person may feel very sick. The illness is usually brief, with symptoms lasting only about 1 or 2 days. In general, children experience more vomiting than do adults. Most people with norovirus illness experience both diarrhea and vomiting.

The main concern is that sometimes people become dehydrated due to vomiting and diarrhea and may need special medical attention. Dehydration problems are usually only seen among the very young, the elderly, and persons with weakened immune systems.

Infection with noroviruses

Noroviruses are found in the stool or vomit of infected people. People can become infected with the virus in several ways, including:

• Eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus;

• Touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus, and then placing their hand in their mouth;

• Having direct contact with another person who is infected and showing symptoms

Persons working in day-care centers or nursing homes should pay special attention to children or residents who have norovirus illness. This virus is very contagious and can spread rapidly throughout such environments. Particular care should be taken with young children in diapers who may have diarrhea or who have vomited as both stool and vomit can carry the virus.

People infected with norovirus are contagious from the moment they begin feeling ill to at least 3 days after recovery. Some people may be contagious for as long as 2 weeks after recovery. Therefore, it is very important to use good hand washing and other hygienic practices.

Treatment for people with norovirus infection?

Currently, there is no antiviral medication that works against norovirus and there is no vaccine to prevent infection. Norovirus infection cannot be treated with antibiotics because antibiotics work to fight bacteria and not viruses.

http://www.noroblog.com/articles/-norovirus-watch/

When I reported to the Liberty medical center with nausea, chills and fever, I was given a shot of Phenergan and quarantined in the cabin 48 hours, plus Hubby, who had recovered, was quarantined 24 hours.

Next day, the nausea had stopped and diarrhea had started, so the doctor who called me sent up Immodium to our cabin and added another 48 hours of quarantine because the quarantine lasts from the end of symptoms not the start. That effectively ended my cruise for me. The Imodium worked to stop the diarrhea, but the feeling of exhaustion is only just now subsiding.

As an editorial here...if you do not report your illness and try to recover "on the sly", you will probably recover as fast as I did, but you will not be compensated for the time you spend in your cabin unofficially. Only days spent in the cabin having been ordered there by the doctor or nurse are compensated by Royal Caribbean.

Yes, your Sea Pass will be electronically pegged, so if you use it to open your door, buy something or try to leave the ship, loud dinging and red light flashing roughly equivalent to a slot machine jackpot ensues.

The last day of the cruise RCI sent us a letter itemizing the days of quarantine and telling us we would receive a letter within thirty days comping us for those days and good for use on another cruise within one year. This may not be attractive to those who have had their cruise ruined and would rather not cruise again or at least not soon.

To answer the OP's question, for any upcoming cruise, I will take a small pharmacy of Immodium, Pepto-Bismo and Aleve.

Archived