Aft 2A Deluxe Ocean View cabins on Mercury

Drew B

Ok Sharon, that got my attention now I've got to wait til WHEN???? Thanks for the pictures they help us see what is coming!!! And Karyn and Jillybean you've both added to what we know too...

Jon

I have now gotten two different answers from Celebrity as to what this cabin looks like. I don't think they know. When you go to the website you have to put in the sailing date to see a "right" picture. The picture does not match what I was just told.

In regards to your e-mail, your stateroom, 1154, is equipped with 1 Queen size bed, a convertible sofa bed and two lower twins that convert into a king. The stateroom square footage is approximately 172 and the balcony is approximately 40 square feet.

Karynanne,

One more question (glad I found this thread since we just go these cabin assignments). When we sailed Mercury last summer (before the balconies were added), we noticed that the children's club area was above what are now balconies. Did you notice any noise from that area in your cabin (as you know, we're doing B2B with one leg in 8228 and the other an end cabin unless we get lucky and they keep us in the same one for both legs)?

Also, the stairways on each side make for easy access to deck 10 where the buffet is, so an easy run for coffee, etc. It's a bit nostalgic for us because when there was an open deck there, my family (there were 11 of us) used it as our private viewing area for the Inside Passage. Most people didn't even know it existed. We're so glad that a piece of it will be ours again.

Sheila, we only heard a little noise from the Children's area on one afternoon. Since it is summer-time in Australia, when we cruise, there may be some children, but I really don't think there will be a large amount. You'll enjoy your cabin and the spaciousness.

Karyn

After seeing your pictures -- thanks very much, BTW -- I am not at all sorry that we didn't get one of these cabins for our NZ/AUS cruise. I wouldn't like having to crawl over my DH when I need to get up in the night, and the wall side would be my side, since I've been on his right-hand-side for 25 years now and don't plan to change that!!:p

Sheila, with all the gorgeous weather we should have on this trip, you'll enjoy the verandah.

We took a Sky Suite, and fortunately don't have to change cabins.

I wonder if the ship will have any celebration when we cross the International Dateline?

Karyn

I know that we'll enjoy the aft veranda...we had booked a balcony cabin so knew we'd enjoy one anyway but with the number of sea days and the wind as we sail, we might have to invite you to come to OUR veranda. Your SS will be wonderful for such a long time onboard...we'll still hoping we can keep the same cabin. Really makes no sense because they could easily switch us with someone else in an aft veranda for just one leg. But no complaints.

My DH says that they'll probably throw someone overboard when we cross the date line - I'm volunteering him LOL. When we crossed the equator on the Galapagos trip, no biggie, but then they do it every trip. This one is a bit unique. We can always plan something on our own. But now I'm highjacking this thread so guess we should move the discussion to our Roll Call.

Sorry, everyone!

I have one of these for the Mar 2 sailing from Auckland in 2008. At the moment, I am travelling alone but am thinking of asking a friend along. The TA is totally useless as to the bedding configuration in these refurbed cabins and I'm hearing beds up against walls, upper bunks. I am in my 50s as is my friend and I couldnt see either of us clambering into an upper bunk.

Is there anyone who has actually seen the interior (a photo would be great) and can tell me if it is suitable for two mature people who need two lower beds?

Thanks!

Julie

Julie, isn't it frustrating? I have called and emailed Celebrity directly and gotten different answers as to the configuration of the cabin. I know someone who is traveling next month. She is supposed to let me know what it looks like. There also is a post by someone on board now. It sounds like there is still construction going on, so I don't know if they will change more. Hopefully we will find out something definite. I am frustrated by the lack of knowledge at the company level.

I have a quote from Justin-a customer service representative that says the cabin (1154) is equipped with 1 Queen size bed, a convertible sofa bed and two lower twins that convert into a king.

I also have a picture on the Mercury site that shows a completely different configuration.

Hope we can find out something definite. Peg

Post #31 from TenerifeSharon links to some pictures. Also, you can go to the Celebrity Website and look at the corresponding cabins on GALAXY. Those are FOV cabins, but I believe that the only difference between them and these cabins on Mercury is that the sofa against the back wall has been removed to make room for a door out to the new balcony.

Good luck!

I have one of these for the Mar 2 sailing from Auckland in 2008. At the moment, I am travelling alone but am thinking of asking a friend along. The TA is totally useless as to the bedding configuration in these refurbed cabins and I'm hearing beds up against walls, upper bunks. I am in my 50s as is my friend and I couldnt see either of us clambering into an upper bunk.

Is there anyone who has actually seen the interior (a photo would be great) and can tell me if it is suitable for two mature people who need two lower beds?

Thanks!

Julie

Julie, we'll be on the same cruise.

We were in one the refurished aft cabins in May. The cabin itself is divided into 2 section...with a sliding divder between them. One section has a double bed...wedged up against a wall, and the other section has a single bed, which during the day, is used as a day-bed/coach.

The storage space is great! Also with the new balcony, the cabin appears very spacious and light.

With the itinerary we have, you'll probably use the balcony quite a bit.

Hope this helps...

Karyn

That FOV configuration is not what they are showing on their website for before late March or after. The cabin designation on Deck 11 is SV and just shows a Queen bed and a sofa. No balcony before the end of March and balcony after. Wish I could get a straight answer...

The same is true of the afts on deck 8 - they're shown as basic veranda cabins. Karyn has been in these cabins recently, though, and she assures us that they remain the FOV configuration. Thank heavens for Karyn. Otherwise, I would have trusted the accuracy of the description/floorplan on the X website, and I wouldn't have known to book this!

The same is true of the afts on deck 8 - they're shown as basic veranda cabins. Karyn has been in these cabins recently, though, and she assures us that they remain the FOV configuration. Thank heavens for Karyn. Otherwise, I would have trusted the accuracy of the description/floorplan on the X website, and I wouldn't have known to book this!

Thanks Drew. When we originally booked this cabin, it was listed as a 2A, and at a 2A pricing. But we knew that it would be one of the cabins, that would have the balcony added. I didn't even bother to ask our TA or Celebrity why it wasn't listed as a FOV...I just went by the cabin number.

If anyone definitely knows that their chosen cabin...whether a 2A or FV or SV is in the Aft location...then be assured that you'll have the FV configuration.

Karyn

Well, we booked 1154 based on the assurance of the customer service person at Celebrity that it was the configuration as shown on the website. If it is the FOV, I am not going to be a happy camper. Wonder what recourse we have.

Thanks to this thread I just changed my 2A's on deck 9 to the 2A's aft on deck 8. Drew, from previous threads I know you have "shared" a cabin with us before, 7199 on Summit; if you're sailing on the Mercury soon, will you let me know how these aft deck 8's compare to the FV's on the M class?

I posted the majority of this on another thread, but I thought I'd chime in here just in case anyone on this thread needs the information.

We were in 8259 in November, and again in the same cabin this time, only it had the addition of the bacony.

The Aft cabins were quite nice and a nice improvement for our group of 4 on since we last had the cabin in Nov.

There were reports that the rooms were made smaller by the addition of the door, but I can say with out any question that the size of the room actually increased by a definative 12 -18 inches in length. The back sofa is now gone and replaced with two small table chairs, but in addition to the extra space created by the removal of the sofa, the wall where the window used to be is now 12-18 inches further out in the room. The balconies are a nice size, a bit bigger than a 2A, but not covered in any way. They are not as windy as the 2a cabin that my MIL had ,because of the aft location. We had a nice time on the balcony as we were leaving the Hubbard Glacier. Really great pictures then,and later that night at Sunset.

You will defintely, as before feel the motion of the thrusters any time the ship make a hard turn or when entering or leaving port. The good thing about this cruise is that we often docked at 1:00 or later.

The room was configured as a FOV: a double bed pushed up against the wall in the front room, and a day bedstyle sofa/bed with a pull down bunk above. It used to have the 5th bed/back sofa,but now has that space open and a sliding door to the balcony.

The double bed was much improved with the dry dock and very comfortable. We kind of took turns in that bed, so I had the single bed that is a sofa during the day. It is not a sofa bed, but more like a day bed so the mattress is harder, like a sofa cushion. I requested an "egg crate" and it was fine after that addition. I never slept in the bunk bed so I'm not sure if it was very comfy, but the kids said it wasfine.

As far as appearance they still had the same cabinets, drawers, fixtures ect. DD even noted that the picture on the wall was the same.

Also, on our last cruise we taped underneath the bottom of the drawer a note saying "Welcome to the Mercury and Alaska" with all our names on it the day before we left in Nov. When we got there, the note was the first thing we looked for. Sure enough, there it was taped under the drawer , where no one would look. :)

I appologize for all my typo's, I'm on my parents lap top and the key board is weird to me and their browser isn't set up to spell check.

Well, we booked 1154 based on the assurance of the customer service person at Celebrity that it was the configuration as shown on the website. If it is the FOV, I am not going to be a happy camper. Wonder what recourse we have.

Quite a lot of us feel that Celebrity's customer service, leaves a lot to be desired. I don't think they train their staff well, and they only give you information, according to what they see on the screen in front of them.

1154 is indeed now a FOV or SV, or whatever they're calling it now. I would call Celebrity, and ask for a supervisor to address your issue. If you're a member of the Captain's Club, call them, and see what can be done about your situation. If your particular cruise is not sold out...and final payment hasn't been made...then ask for a cabin change at the same 2A price.

Karyn

We had a 2A booked starboard side for our B2B down under cruise. One of the aft cabins came free for the second cruise and we were able to switch with no problem at all. We can all thank Suzanne for her description of the interior of this cabin. I can only vouch for the balcony as I have seen it when Mercury was docked in Vancouver. I hope everyone gets the cabin they want and has a very enjoyable cruise:p !

You could do a 5th person in that room but I think it would be rather a tight fit.

First, when you have a 5th person I think that they now bring in a Roll-a-way for that room, so when that roll away is open it would block the door to the balcony.

Second, the cabinet space is more than the what your get in the std. cabin, and we probably brought too many clothes, but we found it a bit tight. So if you pack light, it shouldn't be a problem, but if you pack like me, it might be very tight.

Finally, I live with three other people don't seem to know what it means to pick up after themselves. I had two suitcases out to put our dirty clothes into so that packing would be easier. But every evening at bed time or dinner time their clothes seemed to end up on the floor or all over the room. During those times I had to step into the hall way just to change my mind. And with the roll away, their might not be a good spot for the "Dirty Cothes" suitecase.

Also, the bath... just one for 5 people is a bit more difficult. We sometimes had to wait in line even with 4 people. In the old days theguest room floors always seemed to have a public potty right down the hall, but the nearest one is down a flight of stairs.

So in summary... if all 5 of you are minimalist neat freaks with large bladders, (or just adventurous) I'd say go for it in a room for 5, but you might be happier the the two rooms after all.

Archived