Question about pools

When I was on Jewel of the seas last oct (06), the pools were always drained around 8/9pm (boat time). Is this normal? Or was it because of the seas? I was just reading the "gross" (for lack of worse word) stories about the hot tubs on ships, and was thinking on Jewel the pools and hot tubs were drained and hosed down every night. Any professionals out there know more about this?

Because the pools are salt-water, they do replace it frequently. The hot-tubs are treated fresh water--I never saw them being drained--only "chlorinated" from time to time, like a fresh-water pool would be.

When I was on Jewel of the seas last oct (06), the pools were always drained around 8/9pm (boat time). Is this normal? Or was it because of the seas? I was just reading the "gross" (for lack of worse word) stories about the hot tubs on ships, and was thinking on Jewel the pools and hot tubs were drained and hosed down every night. Any professionals out there know more about this?

We were on the Jewel repositioning cruise last October and there was always at least one pool open 24/7. When they did close a pool and/or hot tub for cleaning in the evening but there was always another one available. I know that we were in the Solarium pool on more than one occasion around midnight.

We were on the Jewel repositioning cruise last October and there was always at least one pool open 24/7. When they did close a pool and/or hot tub for cleaning in the evening but there was always another one available. I know that we were in the Solarium pool on more than one occasion around midnight.

Maybe it was seas? they were VERY rough coming back from bermuda...we never got to use the pools. ALL of them had the nets over them and were drained.

Are the salt water pools treated with any chemicals?

no, that's why the water is flushed and replaced on a regular basis, usually at night with the large ships keeping a pool open and rotating it.

Maybe it was seas? they were VERY rough coming back from bermuda...we never got to use the pools. ALL of them had the nets over them and were drained.

On both CCL and RCL, when the seas were rough, the water in the pools causes a severe sloughing effect that can carry and "impale" a swimmer against the edge. It's like a wave pool, because it really is! to protect you from injury in rough seas, the pools are closed by placing the twine or rope across it, if you have the potential for harm. RCI tries it's best to keep at least one open, if this didn't happen, be happy you weren't allowed in... you could have broken something being carried along with the waves of the ocean and pool.

sorry if you missed a late night dip, we love those;)

On both CCL and RCL, when the seas were rough, the water in the pools causes a severe sloughing effect that can carry and "impale" a swimmer against the edge. It's like a wave pool, because it really is! to protect you from injury in rough seas, the pools are closed by placing the twine or rope across it, if you have the potential for harm. RCI tries it's best to keep at least one open, if this didn't happen, be happy you weren't allowed in... you could have broken something being carried along with the waves of the ocean and pool.

sorry if you missed a late night dip, we love those;)

I didn't mind missing it really...the seas were rough... I can't remember how high the seas were, but I know on the way back it was over 20ft!

I just wanted to know if that was a reg. occurance, which I have been assured it isn't. Thank you! Hope to enjoy late night swims this fall on mariner!

Archived