Does Trunk Bay have snorkel rentals?

Trying to decide whether to lug ours along, or not........... We don't have an excursion planned, so we'll probably take the ferry over from St. Thomas (Red Hook?), and take a taxi from there.

Also - what do you do with your camera's and valuables while snorkeling??

Thanks!!

2 days and counting! :D

Yes the do. It's a nice place to snorkle - there is a snack bar, changing rooms and lots of equipment to rent. We did take our own snorkles from home - I get skeeved thinking about putting a snorkle in my mouth that has been in someone elses.

We had other people with us that didn't snorkle, so we were able to leave our stuff with them, but they do sell waterproof bags you can put your stuff in and wear as a waist pouch - although I don't know if I'd trust it with a camera - we took disposable water cameras with us when we went to the beach.

snorkel equipment (mask, fins, snorkel) is $4 per person

beach chairs are $8 each

we also had to leave a $100 deposit on our credit card

(they "clean" the equipment in a dunk tank, so you may want to consider taking alcohol wipes or something similar to clean the mask and snorkel yourself)

I am an avid snorkeler and years ago I took a ship tour to Trunk Bay and was soooooo disappointed. There were a lot of ships in port that day, and I think there were more people over there in the water than there were fish....And the people who were there thought that snorkeling meant you splash and churn up the water as much as you can... I don't think there was a fish left to see. The scenery was gorgeous and the beach very pretty, but it wa a complete bust for me in the snorkel department.

Has this happened to anyone else...or was I just unlucky to be there on a bad day???

I think you may just have hit it at a bad time. We were there in March and the snorkeling was terrific.

I think it's a great way for a first timer to get comfortable as the equipment is provided with the ships tour was in good condition and you could walk right in off the beach.

There was a park official in the water in a kyak watching everyone and making sure no one wondered off or touched something they shouldn't have.

The fish and underwater scenes were really beautiful.

Archived