HAL Eurodam Transatlantic August 14, 2008

MarylandBob

My partner and I just booked on this new ship. Any other family planning to go?

Interesting summer itinerary...

Depart from Copenhagen to Oslo, Stavanger, Norway, Bergen Norway, Torshavn, Faroe Islands, Sea day, Reykjavik, Iceland, 3 Sea Days, St John's Newfoundland, St. Pierre, France, Sydney Nova Scotia, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Sea Day, Disembark in New York.

We really enjoy Holland America.

• 1 month later...

:) Hi MarylandBob;

Howard & Derek here, from sunny Ft.Lauderdale. I had noticed this thread when it first came out but we hadn't quite made up our minds to do this trip as we had grandiose plans of doing so much more in Europe next year. But we've re-thought things out and it looks like we will probably do a week in Switzerland before the cruise and then stop in NYC after. We also are traveling with a straight couple that we've been sailing with for some time. They are fabulous people and a lot of fun. They think everything we do is so funny. Go know!

Are you just taking the cruise or do you plan to see some sights as well. By the way, we usually like to do private tours when we cruise as the cruise lines charge so much and it isn't neccessary when you're traveling with at least 4 people.

It's a long time away, so we'll have to wait to see if more sign up.

howndder

Hi Howard and Derek,

Glad to hear that you will be sailing with us next year. I was wondering when others would sign up, this really should be a great trip.

Jerry and I will likely go into Copenhagen a day or so before the sailing although it will depend on our work situation. We're both still working full time so getting that much time off at once is always a challenge. We will definitely be coming right home after disembarkation.

As for touring, we too prefer to arrange independent travel. You can see the things that interest you and typically save quite a bit especially if you buddy up with others. So, we would certainly be willing to join you and your friends (they sound like great fun) or vice versa for some shore excusions. We've been to Copenhagen and Oslo but have not visited any of the other ports on this cruise.

Let's keep in touch over the coming months:)

Best regards,

Robert and Jerry

Hi Robert & Jerry,

We have never been to Norway, however, we have been to all the other ports. Now that I think of it, not Nuuk, but someplace called Quuaartuuk, or some such spelling. Anyway, they're both proably fairly desolate with a bunch of native tribes selling trinkets. But sailing into Greenland ports is worth it all. I hope you're getting a balcony as you will love sitting in the sitting area all nice and cozy and maybe a hot choclate or something stronger if you will. Its really quite something. Sort of like Alaska but more barren.

As we get closer to departure lets discuss shore trips. I know me and I'll probablt have reserched it to death. But lets keep in touch.:)

Howard

Howard,

You guys will enjoy sailing through the Oslo Fjord. It's like sailing through the Panama Canal but much more scenic.

We booked a suite at the back of the ship, one of those corner units with a wraparound verandah. We had one of these rooms on the Noordam last fall and loved it. Plenty of room inside and enough space outside to host about 25 people!

We're going to get a taste of cool weather sailing in about 6 weeks when we board the Noordam again for a 7-day Alaska roundtripper from Seattle. On a ship, I'm used to sipping drinks with little umbrellas in them but I suppose I can substitute a steaming drink so long as it still has a kick.

Best regards,

Robert

Hi Robert,

Yes, we are definitely looking forward to this itin. We have done a similar cruise doing the Trans-Atlantic nothern route but that was on Seabourn over 9/11. We were actually 1 day out of Iceland when all bloody hell broke loose. Whewn we arrived in Canada, they had just had the last of 47 747's leave. What a nightmare that was.

We have a balcony cabin only, as we usually book a suite. But since the prices for this trip are higher due to the newness of the ship we declined to pay the extra dollars need for a mini-suite. We're doing the April trans-at on the Celebrity Century and for that we booked a sky suite which was 500.00 less than Holland and same amount of days. Well actually 1 day less. Why don't you come on that too?

Definitely don't need an umbrella but drink, yes. We loved Alaska. But expect cold air at times. We were woefully unprepared for that. I have a great picture of Derek clutching a pole during our bay cruise to see eagles and it was freezing cold. Very funny picture. He looks like a polar bear in a windbreaker. HaHa!

I hope you have a great time and let me know how it went.

Howard

• 1 month later...

Hey guys!

Our trip to Alaska was pretty good. We lucked out with weather, our day in Glacier Bay was the best all summer according to ship personnel. We had a few showers in Ketchikan but nothing that prohibited one from enjoying the day. The Noordam was terrific. This was our second time on that ship and I think it may have been even better than when we sailed on it last Fall.

We'd love to join you guys in the spring but taking two transatlantics in one year is just too much time off from work. We are looking forward to the cruise in August. We love Holland America, they do a great job.

Talk soon,

Robert and Jerry

• 3 months later...

Welcome Andrew and Karl. Holland America will have a FOD as long as it is requested. They won't do it on their own. So, everyone needs to ask when they have boarded. I think with a ship of this size we should all plan to meet on our own somewhere. What say ye?

Howard

Hi Guys,

Congratulations on tying the knot! No better way to celebrate than on the high seas. Jerry and I have been doing it for 27+years.

HAL is very "family" friendly. FOD gatherings are common but as Howard indicates they do need to be requested. I recall our last transatlantic sailing on HAL when after the first well-attended FOD, they appeared on the daily schedule every 2 or 3 days.

As for touring, Jerry and I would be interested in buddying up with you guys for independent touring. We usually do our own thing because we can tailor the tours to our interests and generally cover more territory than the organized ship's excursions. And, the cost is always less.

Let's keep in touch as the time gets closer.

Regards,

Bob and Jerry

Hi Les and Tom, Howard and Derek,

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences on Celebrity. We haven't been on one of their ships in a few years. Jerry and I did do a transtlantic last April on RCCL's Jewel of the Seas. We were never fans of RCCL and that trip didn't change our minds. Although the ship is beautiful, the food was pretty mediocre and the entertainment was just "so so". We left Ft. Lauderdale in a pretty bad storm that pitched the ship violently for about 3 days. I don't think the ship is built for transatlantic voyages, very top heavy with the wide pool deck. The wind caught it and really rocked us.

We have become pretty loyal to HAL. Their newer ships are always first class and the service is unbeatable. I gave Jerry a Caribbean cruise as a Christmas present so we are off to Aruba, Curacau and HAL's private island Half Moon Cay on the April 6, 2008 voyage aboard the Westerdam. It will be our third time on this ship.

Jerry had been complaining about not being able to hold out until August for our next cruise so I decided to surprise him. And he was!

Now that our little group is growing here, we should coordinate on some tours and onboard get togethers.

Talk soon,

Robert and Jerry

• 1 month later...

Hi all, since this thread has been quite inactive for awhile I just thought I would send in my hellos to all. We just returned from a Costa cruise and if you'd like to read my review , it's on Costas page here on CC. For the money it is really quite a good value. I have started to finalize our tours, now that I have finished with the Centurys' tours for 4/28/08 and can concentrate better for this cruise. Oh well, it's very hard when you have 3 trans-atlantic cruises in 1 year. Well, someone has to do them.

Howard

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to check in and say hello. Has anyone booked any tours yet? Jerry has begun looking into some options. The main thread is pretty active with people researching and booking various tours.

We are getting ready for our 7-day Caribbean that leaves on April 6. Maybe we'll have some time on that voyage to nail down some plans for August.

Best regards,

Robert

• 1 month later...

So far I count 8 of us on this transatlantic voyage on the brand new Eurodam. Since this will be her first entry into the United States via New York harbor, I'm sure she will receive a "Royal" welcome.

Come and join us, the more the merrier!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Glad to see some activity has started for this cruise.

We are a couple from Budapest, Hungary, both in our early 40s. We are seriously thinking of joining this cruise, it would be our first cruise ever. Timing is perfect for us, love the mixture of ports and sea days, think HAL is gay friendly, and the new ship should all ensure a great holiday trip.

We are thinking of booing a balcony cabin, there is still availability in all categories... which ones do you book? I am totally confused. Any other tricks to know before booking? We would like to get this done over next week, as prices are unlikely to fall further...

Thanks for your help and look forward to meeting you all.

Tibor and Peter

Hi Tibor and Peter,

I hope you guys decide to join us. I am in my very late 40s and Jerry is a bit older...

We love HAL and booked this cruise over 1 year ago. We've spoiled ourselves booking suites on most of our recent cruises. You should be able to book a balcony and request an upgrade. Sometimes the line will provide a complimentary upgrade or offer a suite upgrade for a nominal fee as the sail date gets closer.

Regards,

Robert and Jerry

Hi tibor and Peter, and let me second Robert & Jerry in welcoming you to our little band of brothers. Now that we're getting closer to departure, I'm starting to plan out clothes. However, with the restrictions on airline travel these days in regards to lugage, it is becoming quite impossible to drag along formal wear. I know many people like to dress up and sometimes I do too, but if the cruise lines don't make changes to their dress codes, I think a lot of people will just not cruise.

On another note, is there any trivia players in this group. I was hoping for a, shall I say, "gay team",

Has everyone gotten their shore excursions? Do to traveling with a 90 year old mom, ours are rather limited, but we'll still see the highlights of most ports.

Howard & Derek

Hi everyone,

Thanks all of you for the welcoming and the encouragement. We are actually on a waitlist now for a balcony cabin as HAL just closed the suite and balcony categories the day I wanted to make the booking. Everything was still available that morning, now only inside and outside cabins are offered. Given it's going to be our first cruise, we really want a balcony.

What do you think the chances are for a waitlist to clear? Last time I asked HAL, there were only 2 balcony waitlists. The only worry I have is that even if the watilist clears, HAL will want a price much higher than I could have got a week ago when the balcony sale was on..

But still hoping to meet you guys on board

Tibor

Good luck with getting a balcony topigo, I hope budapest is nice, I have just booked a weeks holiday there in february staying at the kempinski. I have read that the cabins without balconys are rather large in some of the outsides, there will also be people that do not turn up so there will be a chance to upgrade on the day, we are hoping so, we took a gauranteed balcony but are hoping to be upgraded to a suite, even if we have to pay a little, you never know if it works for sure though.

Hey guys,

Peter, I hope you guys get the cabin you want. If only 2 are waitlisted, you should clear. A lot of travel agents put rooms on hold for people who never deposit.

Howard and Derek, Jerry and I will join you for trivia. We're not great players but we have had some limited success on other cruises--we have a "dam" shirt T-shirt from one day's contest!

See everyone soon!

Regards,

Robert and Jerry

Robert and Jerry, glad to hear your players. My little band of troopers can't be trusted to show up and therefore it's better to be prepared.

Has anything been decided about a M&G for us "Dorothys'", or do you think we should just let the ship have a friends of meeting. What do you think?

Howard

Howard,

We can ask the Cruise Director to schedule an FOD meeting. I have never had a problem with HAL.

Have you guys planned any tours yet? We're so looking forward to relaxing and being away from the office that we haven't done any planning. I guess it's time to get serious about what we want to see.

Talk soon,

Robert

Hey guys!

CC member here who just became the Eurodam Stage Manager, she's beautiful! We are currently somewhere between Malaga and Southhampton in calm seas and sun. :) Make sure you look for me when you're onboard. I'll be on Eurodam until November 15:D

Nathan

Archived