Coki or Megans Bay

jonsmom

Which beach is better for just relaxing? Which beach is nicer?

We are headed to St. Thomas and would love a leisurly beach day. We have already done Trunk Bay.

Would anyone recomend the The Leydon Sneed?

Thanks.

We have been down to St Thomas several times and the only beach we have went to is Magen's Bay - and it's beautiful:) The ride isn't that long from port - 15 minutes maybe? - and the ride to the beach is pretty nice (scenic) as well. The last time we were there our taxi driver took us slightly out of the way (maybe by 5-10 minutes) so we could go further up the mountain and the view from up there was one of the best I have ever seen - got lots of great pictures!

There is a $3 fee to get into Magen's Bay as well. Not a lot of peddlers on the beach either which was nice and the ones that were there weren't aggressive. A polite "no thank you" and they would leave you alone.

Since I haven't been to any other beaches on this island I can't compare it but IMO it was wonderful :)

Coki if you want to snorkel. Just to relax I would pick Magen's - it is beautiful and a lot bigger than Magen's. If you want to walk a ways you can get to a spot that is practically empty (of other cruisers).

I have been to Magen's at least 10 times and have never had anyone approach me selling something - except drinks for the bar (and I dont' turn them away!!!). I think it is illegal to sell on the beaches in St Thomas and I think it is more strictly enforced than some of the other islands.

I would go with Coki. Megans is somewhat dirty and there is nothing to see in the water. Also, it costs to enter Megans. Coral World is next to Coki and it gives you an option for something else to do while at the beach.

I did Coki beach last year, and was somewhat disappointed. The beach is kinda small. The washrooms/change room was very dirty.

I've been to Trunk Bay and can say it's one of my favorites that I've ever been to.

Joanne

My family and I were in St.Thomas during Easter week this year. We have done both in the past, but this year Coki went way downhill. It was dirty, and alot of people hassling people trying to enjoy themselves. Coki is great for snorkeling though, but I wouldnt trust my stuff on the beach anymore. Magens bay is beautiful! I totally disagree with the post saying it was dirty. If you just want to relax at a wonderful beach I say Megans changing rooms and showers and a decent food selection-great mango slushies too!

Yes, the $3 was per person.

And just for the record I disagree with the poster he said the beach was dirty - maybe they happened to visit right after a storm that maybe left lots of debris on the beach? :confused: I have been there several times and it's always been one of the cleaner beaches - I hope you have a great time!

Hockeymom97,

Do you remember how much the cab was?

This board has so many different opinions on so many different topics, its amazing. Two people can be on the same exact cruise and have totally different opinions of it, its amazing?

Is your little hockey player 10?

Taxi to Megan's is $8/pp from Havensite.

Since your screen name is carnivalcruisejunkie, you could be the best person to fill me in on Carnival. We have never sailed CCL before, only RCCL.

What do I expect?

Is the taxi p/p or for the total cab ride? Thanks.

Was just there (Magen's) last week. The taxi ride was $8 per person, and our taxi driver took us up the mountain also.

The admission is also $4 per person now to get onto Magen's Bay Beach. IMO, well worth it.

Coki has clearer water and I just loved it. Megan's beach is where the tourists go and it is larger. Coki is where the locals hang out and doesnt cost to get into it. Its only $10 to snorkle including fish food. I had a blast.

We paid $10 per person for the taxi and $11 back, for Princess which docks further away than Carnival.

Coki was so fun, I think its better to get away from tourist's traps if you can do it cheaper and the water is better at another beach. you might have to push the taxi drivers a bit, they didnt want to go but took us with some going to megan's so we saw both beaches. We had 13 of us all in one cab going back laughing and having fun rushing to make the ship, no one wanted to go back. I got a chair, no charge and fun meeting real locals.

Archived