Helicopter or Seaplane?

kpoindex

We will be cruising to Alaska the first time in June. We are torn between a helicopter glacier tour out of Skagway or the Misty Fjords Seaplane tour out of Ketchikan. (Can't afford both.) Any suggestions?

Golden Princess 2003

Disney Magic 2002

Carnival Destiny 2000

We haven't not done either, but my husband picked the floatplane, for what it's worth.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;5;22;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Diamond Princess HERE WE COME! Alaska has never been so cool! 5/22/04

May 31, 2003 Carnival Triumph to Western Caribbean.

My opinion only- my top choice is a glacier helicopter landing. Can you skimp elsewhere?- both get raves and are top tour choices- especially if you are interested in both. Too many regrets sometimes causing return trips. icon_smile.gif

I, too, had that same dilemma. Finally read a post by Jengwen (you might look it up, it was 10 days or so ago), that clarified the difference for me. She (or he) said if you like wildlife, the floatplane is better; if you like scenery, the helicopter is better. She (or he!) lived in a cold, snowy, part of the country, so seeing a glacier wasn't her favorite thing. We are going to go on the helicopter tour, as EVERYONE who has gone, says you have to do it!! I, however, am afraid!!!

Do you have time to go to Talkeetna? If so, buy a toursaver book for $99 and do BOTH for about the same price as one! Might even be able to find a used coupon book as save more.

-2 for one coupon for McKinley flight with glacier landing for $189 total for 2 people

-2 for one coupon for Misty Fjord floatplane for $199 total for 2 people.

We took the Helicopter/Dogsled trip in Skagway with TEMSCO and we did the Misty Fjords floatplane with Michelle of Island Wings. We enjoyed both immensley. If I had to choose between the two I would choose the Helicopter/Glacier landing even if you don't dog sled (which was loads of fun). Of course being from Florida the Glacier landing and dogsleding was really amazing. The Misty Fjords flight was wonderful but more serene and less snow. You fly over green mountains and Fjords and land on a lake.

We also used a toursaver for a glacier landing with a ski plane in Talkeetna and loved that too!!.. As ususal I agree with Budget Queen and say, save your pennies for the tours even if it means a lesser cabin or less Gambling :0).

You will enjoy whatever you do I'm sure!!

Mike

Christmas in Alaska 2003

CARNIVAL SPIRIT (Alaska) 2003

NCL SUN 2002

CARNIVAL PARADISE 1999

CARNIVAL SENSATION 1996

CARNIVAL ECSTASY 1995

CARNIVAL FANTASY 1992

NCL MS SUNWARD 1991

NCL SEAWARD 1990

SKY PRINCESS 1989

SITMAR FAIRWIND 1987