Glacier Bay or Tracey Arms

Italy52

I asked this same question on the Princess board and am going to ask here in hopes of getting more responses. Trying to narrow down our Alaska cruise options. For past Alaska cruisers, did you prefer Tracey Arm or Glacier Bay? Why one over the other.

In Princess brochure it states "Endicott Arm may be substituted [for Tracey Arm] on some voyages due to ice and weather conditions." Did you ever have the Endicott substitution? If so, was it OK, or did you feel like the substitution did not live up to your expectations? Thank you so much for any help you can provide, I really appreciate it.

Have been to Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay several times. Ice can be problem in Tracy Arm and Endicott would be unfortunate option since you'd miss your Glacier viewing.. If this is possibly your only Alaska cruise go w/ Glacier Bay.. or at least Hubbard Glacier.

Host Caroline
<font SIZE="1">[B]One can [I]never[/I] have too many days at sea...[/B]</font> [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Sept 04-Royal Hounds Mariner of the Seas
Feb 05-Partae Pirates Carnival Miracle

I will be going to Alaska May 6th, sure hope Tracey Arm won't be cancelled. Do they usually have problems that early in the year or is it usually later when it warms up. Thanks to everyone for their help.

5/6 Regal Princess/ San Francisco
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;6;15;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

I had read lots of negative opinions about Tracy Arm before our cruise last year on the Star Princess. It turned out to be spectacular. We had beautiful weather. We saw a mountain goat and lots of seals at the glacier. The glacier calved quite a bit while we were there, and the ship was fairly close (probably farther away than we thought, but still had a wonderful view). Our cruise was the third week of July.

I was at Sawyer Glacier last year during the third week of May. It seemed like we got very close and the glacier calved a few times while we were there. We did hear that the week before the ships were not able to get very close due to the amount of ice.

We didn't know what to expect with Tracy Arm but found it to be awesome. Didn't see any active calving while we were there but the peacefulness made up for that. We were on NCL Sky and got fairly close to the glacier which is something that couldn't be done the week before us. Our cruise was the third week of July also.

Archived