Newark Airport/Elizabeth, NJ Hotel choice..

stlrboo

Trying to be 'group' specific.. Flying into EWR, anywhere from 5 to 10+ couples/families staying 1 or 2 days pre-cruise. Sailing on EOS from Cape Liberty April 11, 2008:) Hoping to visit NYC on April 10, and take the ferry from NJ to Pier 11 or Pier 79.

Have secured a 'group' rate from the Airport Sheraton and the Airport Hilton.. (Sheraton is $10. more per room).. tho' 'dining' options are better (I think) than Hilton! Third option is Country Inn & Suites Elizabeth located across from the Garden Mall at $159. with a FREE breakfast... ALL have airport shuttles..

You 'guys' are my determining factor.. Which would you pick in 'my' situation..:confused:

We just switched to Candlewood Suites in Jersey City. I read a post on this board saying this was a much nicer area and about the same distance from the port and also the airport. There do not have an aiport shuttle nor a free breakfast, however. I might also try Priceline for a 3 star in the Newark area as the time gets a little closer. The Comfort Inn/Elizabeth is also highly recommended at http://www.tripadvisor.com

We just switched to Candlewood Suites in Jersey City. I read a post on this board saying this was a much nicer area and about the same distance from the port and also the airport. There do not have an aiport shuttle nor a free breakfast, however. I might also try Priceline for a 3 star in the Newark area as the time gets a little closer. The Comfort Inn/Elizabeth is also highly recommended at http://www.tripadvisor.com

stlrboo,

i know you were on the other threads trying to get some ideas. now that it's clear how you will be travelling...

i like the idea of taking the ferry to nyc. definitely gets you in the mood for sailing. as you have seen in my numerous replies and tips...i think you have enough information to make the best decision.

i also like mjkunkle's idea of being at the Candlewood Suites in JC because it's also about the same distance port-airport. and there is also NY waterway ferry to nyc from this location as well.

given your trip isn't until next year...you have plenty of time to finalize your plan. maybe come over to NYC and do a "dry run". hehehehe

Trying to be 'group' specific.. Flying into EWR, anywhere from 5 to 10+ couples/families staying 1 or 2 days pre-cruise. Sailing on EOS from Cape Liberty April 11, 2008:) Hoping to visit NYC on April 10, and take the ferry from NJ to Pier 11 or Pier 79.

Have secured a 'group' rate from the Airport Sheraton and the Airport Hilton.. (Sheraton is $10. more per room).. tho' 'dining' options are better (I think) than Hilton! Third option is Country Inn & Suites Elizabeth located across from the Garden Mall at $159. with a FREE breakfast... ALL have airport shuttles..

You 'guys' are my determining factor.. Which would you pick in 'my' situation..:confused:

I vote for Country Inn and Suites IF you are positive they have a complimentary shuttle. Lots of places to eat, shop, etc around the area. Again, airport hotels leave you with little options for food, drinks and entertainment.

It will cost you some money to get to the ferry for NYC pier 79 from any of the hotels you mentioned unless you take the bus. While the ferry would be nice, you can "hitch" a ride back to the airport, take Airtrain to Newark Penn Station (there is one connection at the airport), then PATH right into the 33rd St, Midtown terminal.

Whatever you decide to do, have a great trip.

I vote for Country Inn and Suites IF you are positive they have a complimentary shuttle. Lots of places to eat, shop, etc around the area. Again, airport hotels leave you with little options for food, drinks and entertainment.
Was hoping you would answer back..:) A wealth of good information.. :D

Found prices directly through Country Inn & Suites at $129. for advanced pay, $139. with a CC hold, and $159. for a King 'suite'..

Will call them tomorrow to see if we can get a 'block' of rooms for the 'group'..

The plus with the Sheraton is that RCI supplies a small shuttle service (for a fee) at the doorstep.. Guessing the taxi from there wouldn't be that big of a deal anyhow.. :rolleyes: Thanks again..!!

Anyone else???

DRAT! :( Country Inn & Suites looked promising, until the 'local' hotel in Elizabeth said "Sorry, we can not accomodate your group"!:rolleyes: Had spoken with a nice lady at the C I & S headquarters, and she said 'they have availability'.. Guess someone is mistaken..

Back to the Sheraton, I guess...:)

I must admit, I keep going back to the Doubletree Suites Jersey City.. PATH and Ferry within walking distance.. Wishing cab fare/shuttle to the Doubletree didn't cost 'an arm & a leg'!!:eek:

There are other hotels near the Country Inn -- there are about 4. At least one is the comfort in & I think there is a Courtyard by Marriott. If you had to split up your group, they all share a courtyard. It's less than 100 yeards away. Also, you can go across the street to the Jersey Gardens mall.

There are other hotels near the Country Inn -- there are about 4. If you had to split up your group, they all share a courtyard. It's less than 100 yeards away. Also, you can go across the street to the Jersey Gardens mall.
I may have to look again.. The possibilities are endless, and sometimes I forget where I started..:eek: :p

Endless possibilities is a good way to put it! So far we're still at Candlewood Suites. Does anyone know how much the cab fare is from Newark? And, then from the hotel to the cruise terminial? I'd like to have the absolute ideal location - free shuttle, free breakfast, military rates, located at PATH station, quick ride to Manhattan, etc, etc., etc.

Endless possibilities is a good way to put it! So far we're still at Candlewood Suites. Does anyone know how much the cab fare is from Newark? And, then from the hotel to the cruise terminial? I'd like to have the absolute ideal location - free shuttle, free breakfast, military rates, located at PATH station, quick ride to Manhattan, etc, etc., etc.

Don't know about military rates, but some of the packages at the Gateway Penn Station offer free breakfast and all the other things you requested.

The Gateway Hilton is just exactly what I have in mind. However, my husband is balking at $269 a night saying we could stay in Manhattan. I guess we'll stick to Candlewood Suites as other posts say it's also close to the PATH station (we're from Texas and I don't even know what that means except that it will get us into NYC which we love!) Thanks for the quick response.

The Gateway Hilton is just exactly what I have in mind. However, my husband is balking at $269 a night saying we could stay in Manhattan. I guess we'll stick to Candlewood Suites as other posts say it's also close to the PATH station (we're from Texas and I don't even know what that means except that it will get us into NYC which we love!) Thanks for the quick response.

here's the link to the Port Authority Trans Hudson train (PATH).........$1.50 per ride. NOW THAT'S A NY BARGAIN!

http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/path/html/map.html

So in reality, we can't have it all! We can't have free shuttle from airport, shuttle to cruise, continental breakfast, & reasonable priced & safe hotel near restaurants....so what are the best options? Give up the shuttle to the hotel to get nearer to restaurants? The BW EWR has a $99 "best rate" & airport shuttle. So if we take the shuttle back to the airport can we get anywhere decent to eat if necessary? Or we pay their shuttle to take us somewhere to eat? Trade off is the hotel is reasonable & we save on that but get other inconveniences. If 3 or 4 people are traveling together how much would a taxi be from the airport to the cruise port? Less expensive from a hotel? Or at the airport we can do the RCI transfers...they cost more, but we are going on a cruise & have to expect to pay something!

If we stay at the Best Western, are there any problems with the hotel? I am not expecting much, but do insist on clean & safe. We will only be there from 6pm til we go to the cruise the next day.

Thanks for any help. We live in CA & this is all alien to us. We are used to cruises from San Pedro & San Diego, even FLL & Miami & hotels & taxis are reasonable.

It's all new to me as well, and I'm 'leading' a group for CC and sometimes it can 'be a chore'..! Excessive transportation charges multiplied by 20+ people can sometimes be over-bearing!:eek:

We had opted for a 'good' group rate at the Newark Hilton (Gateway) Penn Station, however the 'Sales Manager' backed out of the deal at the last minute, so we switched to the Sheraton Newark Airport where everyone was helpful, polite and accomodating!:)

FREE airport shuttle from EWR, so we can opt to go back to the airport and use the 'train' system to get to Manhattan.. Not expensive and easy..(at least that is what they say..;) ) Dining options at the Sheraton seem OK for breakfast & lunch and we will either eat there for dinner, or head to the Jersey Gardens Mall, or whatever we can find..!!:D

You are right! You just "can't have it all"! You just need to 'take' "what works for you"!:p

• 1 month later...

We're home from the 30 day trip and trying to pick up the pieces where we left off! I had my fingers crossed that I could find this thread as there was such good information. We are booked on the RCI Explorer Canada/New England cruise leaving Cape Liberty on Aug. 31st. We are flying into Newark on 8/29 arriving at 11:15 am. We want to spend as much time as possible in Manhatten on the 29th and 30th before departing for the cruise terminal on the 31st. I've booked two hotels. We have the Hilton Newark Penn Sation at the Gateway Center for a government rate of $139 a night. We also have Candlewood Suites for a rate of $125 a night. Naturally, we want a nice clean room in a safe area with dining options but our main objection is the quickest way into Manhattan. Which one would those of you that are familair with the area choose? Other suggestions? (Still dreaming about magically getting "Jersey Boy" tickets - ha!)

We're home from the 30 day trip and trying to pick up the pieces where we left off! I had my fingers crossed that I could find this thread as there was such good information. We are booked on the RCI Explorer Canada/New England cruise leaving Cape Liberty on Aug. 31st. We are flying into Newark on 8/29 arriving at 11:15 am. We want to spend as much time as possible in Manhatten on the 29th and 30th before departing for the cruise terminal on the 31st. I've booked two hotels. We have the Hilton Newark Penn Sation at the Gateway Center for a government rate of $139 a night. We also have Candlewood Suites for a rate of $125 a night. Naturally, we want a nice clean room in a safe area with dining options but our main objection is the quickest way into Manhattan. Which one would those of you that are familair with the area choose? Other suggestions? (Still dreaming about magically getting "Jersey Boy" tickets - ha!)

Newark Penn Station-the trains are right there-no going to a train station, just leave your room and board the train. There are also restaurants in Gateway Center, although most close relatively early.

I just want to say "thank you thank you thank you" for mentioning the Gateway Hilton. I decided to check once more and this

time the military rate came up at $139 a night. We are thrilled! I'm now wondering if I should get really greedy and try a bid on Priceline for a 3 star in the Newark area. Naaaa ... I'll quit while I'm ahead! Again, thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I just booked the Gateway Hilton tonight for Dec 2 cruise. It was a toss up between this and the Doubletree Jersey City, after having picked the Country Inn by the outlet mall last weekend. The price was great, but decided to be in an easy location to get to Manhattan, if I should decide to do that on my 1 full day there! The Hilton fits the bill for that!

For what New Jersey hotel prices are going for, which are comparable to Manhattan hotels, I'd just pay the extra $50 per night and stay in Manhattan.

The Hilton Gateway is charging $80 more per night Marathon Weekend (which is one of the most expensive weekends a year in New York) than the Park South Hotel in Midtown is charging me.

New Jersey hotels aren't the bargain they once were and because hotel prices are so competative there, forget amenities such as free parking, free shuttle, etc.

Archived