Dress Policy?

travgurl

Get over it. People are going to wear jeans regardless. They wear shorts too, although I don't agree with all that. My DH wears dockers and I wear a nice pair of black slacks. It's just not going to stop because you think it should. And it doesn't bother me one bit what people wear. The only reason I even noticed was because of all the "discussions" on CC, otherwise I never would have bothered to look. I'm all about the menu and nothing else. :D

Correct!!! Only the cruise police care.

I use the excuse that the luggage didn't come on the first night... I prefer to wear shorts when I am on vacation... the rest of the time I'll dress to suit, but if I can get away with it, I will. Do I look like trash?? NO, I dont think so, but am I comfortable and ready to relax .. YES!!

Sandi. I always board between 12 and 1 oclock. I too carry a change of clothes in my carryon for dinner the first night. One cruise we had 8 or 9 suitcases. Five were full of supplies for an orphanage on Roatan. The steward stored alot of them for us and also helped getting them to shore. Bless his heart. He did say that alot of cruisers support the orphanage so they are used to it.

Bet you did not fly Delta!

Ok, let me say this as well..... I wear a nice suit and tie everyday to work... and even on Fridays when the dress code is relaxed, its still dress to impress... I do it every day... WHY would I want to do the same thing when I am on vacation... to unwind and relax??

I totally understand for some people who DONT dress up every day or who dont go to nice dinners that they want to do this... but for some of us who do it on a regular bases... its nice to relax the stiffness once in a while.

RetiredMan. That's right. I flew AirTran while they still allowed 3 free checked bags. My friend flying AirTran from another state, so that was 6 checked bags. This was about 18 months ago. Then another supporter of the orphanage drove from Port Canaveral to meet us in Tampa and bring two or three more bags.

River Sand Bar. Just because I am on vacation or retired, doesn't mean I throw out my since of courtesy, manners and social graces. I too wore suits daily for more years than I like to think about. Now retired, I keep up those standards. Actually, the refinement or elegance of the cruise vacation was a reason that I kept cruising after the first one. Now, 19 cruises later, it sure beats a week or two at the beach. Everyone knows in advance what is expected on a cruise.

River Sand Bar. Just because I am on vacation or retired, doesn't mean I throw out my since of courtesy, manners and social graces. I too wore suits daily for more years than I like to think about. Now retired, I keep up those standards. Actually, the refinement or elegance of the cruise vacation was a reason that I kept cruising after the first one. Now, 19 cruises later, it sure beats a week or two at the beach. Everyone knows in advance what is expected on a cruise.

I never said we had to throw out manners and social graces... I am always curtious and graces to whomever I might meet... that has nothing to do with what someone wears .. its how someone acts.. I have seen very snooty people dressed to the 9's and just be right a$$holes and disrespectful to the working man. I agree with the refinement and elegance... and thats why they have the formal night...as well as the dinner clubs. As I have stated before... IF you want TRUE elegance and to be pampered, then spend the extra money and go to the dinner clubs such as Nic and Noras.. they are well worth the money.

But, this is also my vacation and a time to relax... we are members of the San Diego Opera and well as the San Diego Polo assoc... so there are plenty and plenty of times to dress up... this is my time to relax..

As common as jeans are, Carnival's failure to explicitly mention them in the Dress Code FAQ one way or the other cannot possibly be an oversight. Clearly, they would prefer that men wear slacks, which is why they specify that, but I would guess that they probably also feel (correctly or not) that it's unrealistic to forbid jeans; otherwise doesn't it seem reasonable that they would simply include them in the list of explicitly forbidden items, along with shorts, tees, etc.?

So my interpretation is that jeans are grudgingly permitted by Carnival, and frowned on by certain passengers. I wear slacks and a sportcoat for dinner, but I don't understand why anyone would care about someone else choosing to wear a neat, clean pair of jeans, as long as they conduct themselves properly.

Hey, this jeans brouhaha is child's play -- I was at a cruise fashions thread yesterday where someone was upset about other passengers wearing their S&S card lanyards around their necks in the dining room. :eek: :D

But, this is also my vacation and a time to relax... we are members of the San Diego Opera and well as the San Diego Polo assoc... so there are plenty and plenty of times to dress up... this is my time to relax..

And as advertised before you even go on the cruise, there is a time and place for everything. Although it doesn't bother me on "resort casual" nights, I think that dressing down on Formal night is really disrespectful. My feeling is that if you really cannot enjoy one dinner dressed formally, then you are welcome to eat in one of the specialty restaurants or the WJ for that meal. For me, I like feeling the atmosphere of a formal night with everyone dressed up. On our 2005 cruise on the Jewel, I appreciated the maitre'd actually stopping people in casual resort wear at the door and informing them about the dress code and offering them dining alternatives that were more casual that evening.

Holy Crap, you got to be kidding me :mad:

Upset might be overstating it. Annoyed? Some people seem to have some kind of emotional investment in how complete strangers choose to dress and accessorize themselves.

The bottom line is that people will end up wearing whatever they feel like wearing.

as it should be ... welcome to america, have a nice day.

I could care less what people wear. the food taste the same . the damn singing and crap was more annoying.

Hey, this jeans brouhaha is child's play -- I was at a cruise fashions thread yesterday where someone was upset about other passengers wearing their S&S card lanyards around their necks in the dining room. :eek: :D

I know I saw that too:eek: Boy do they love me over there:D :D

And as advertised before you even go on the cruise, there is a time and place for everything. Although it doesn't bother me on "resort casual" nights, I think that dressing down on Formal night is really disrespectful.

I dont think there is any question about formal night... YES, I do dress for that with a suit and tie.. wife wears a ball gown.. its the other nights that are in discussion.

And as advertised before you even go on the cruise, there is a time and place for everything. Although it doesn't bother me on "resort casual" nights, I think that dressing down on Formal night is really disrespectful. My feeling is that if you really cannot enjoy one dinner dressed formally, then you are welcome to eat in one of the specialty restaurants or the WJ for that meal. For me, I like feeling the atmosphere of a formal night with everyone dressed up. On our 2005 cruise on the Jewel, I appreciated the maitre'd actually stopping people in casual resort wear at the door and informing them about the dress code and offering them dining alternatives that were more casual that evening.

Some of these people who say that "it's their vacation and can dress as they please" should be glad that they didn't cruise 30 or 40 years ago when on non formal nights the men wore suits and the ladies wore dresses.

I personally love dressing up. There is just something special about it. And since most of the cruiselines offer alternative dining options, if one doesn't feel like dressing up that night, they can go eat at the Lido deck buffet. That is what my husband and I did the night when we were in San Juan. Our ship was there from 3 to midnight and we got back on the ship after 6 and we didn't feel like rushing to dress for dinner. We wanted to take a dip in the pool and just hang out on deck and relax. So we decided to skip the dining room that night and we ate on the Lido. No problem at all.

A friend of mine said that on one of the formal nights a guy came to dinner in shorts. :eek: The Matre 'D turned him away. Kudos to Carnival for that. Wearing shorts on formal night is totally inappropriate in my opinion. Actually I think it's inappropriate for any night in the dining room.

Now if someone at my table came to dinner wearing jeans would it ruin my vacation? No it wouldn't. It takes a lot to have my vacation ruined. I just don't think it's appropriate IMO.

Archived