S. Caribbean tour question

cruise fairy

We are going to the S. Caribbean next Feb. (can hardly wait), but don't know what are the best excursions. Our itinerary includes Dominica, Grenada, Bonaire, and Aruba.

We are a couple in our mid 40's, pretty active and in good physical condition (notice I didn't say great:o ).

I'm just confused with sooo many excursions to choose from. It seems a couple of the ports list a lazy river tubing tour, I thought that sounded like relaxing fun, but would like to hear from those that have done it please.

Any input would be appreciated.

My husband did the river tubing excursion on Dominica and thoroughly enjoyed it. People had a tube to themselved but there were several guides with them to ensure no-one had any problems. He said that you didn't have to be incredibly athletic to do this tour. He came back with some great pictures, taken on a waterproof camera!

On Grenada we did an island tour which took in the Nutmeg Factory, an amazing place. It was a good way to see a lot of the island.

Bonaire we did our own thing. My husband went snorkelling and said it was great.

Never been to Aruba.

Hope this helps.

Annie

My husband did the river tubing excursion on Dominica and thoroughly enjoyed it. People had a tube to themselved but there were several guides with them to ensure no-one had any problems. He said that you didn't have to be incredibly athletic to do this tour. He came back with some great pictures, taken on a waterproof camera!

On Grenada we did an island tour which took in the Nutmeg Factory, an amazing place. It was a good way to see a lot of the island.

Bonaire we did our own thing. My husband went snorkelling and said it was great.

Never been to Aruba.

Hope this helps.

Annie

Thanks Annie, it does help.....the Dominica river tubing has really caught my interest.

The most information on tours and what people are doing I have always found in the port of call forums. Just go and look at each one of your stops and read about the popular excursions, that is how I always plan:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Thanks mrdood. I did look in this forum, but people don't seem to respond to the questions very often. In particular, the S. Caribbean question was posted in April without any responses.

I guess I would like to have as much input as possible:o

Aruba and Bonaire have very good beaches. The shopping on Bonaire is limited but have some different shops. Aruba has at least one of everything. If swimming and snorkling are your thing I would do it on Bonaire. Dominica and Grenada are less developed and tours there seem to be more of the nature type and van sightseeing. Did not see much in the way of beaches on these islands. Others may have different views of these islands. We liked them all.:) Bill

We did the river tubing in Domnica a couple years ago and had a fantastic time, we did the one that included lunch and it was a good lunch with dancing and singing by the natives. We thoroughly enjoyed it. You don't need to be athletic at all. It was a fun day.

Some friends did the river tubing in Grenada and they liked it there too. We did an island tour there to the spice plantation and enjoyed it. The last time we were there we just took a water taxi to Grand Anse Beach and had a wonderful day.

Aruba is a great island. We did the Sea and See tour on our first visit and got a good overview of the island both under and on land. It's a nice island and lots of shopping there. Last year we went to the Water Park and will be going back there the next time we go to Aruba. My husband wants to do the helmet dive there when we go back. Some people we met there did it and said it was great.

Bonaire is a beautiful island (aren't they all though). We did a tour the first time and enjoyed it. Last year we just walked down to the beach and went snorkling. It is the best snorkling island in the Caribbean.

Dominica:

Been twice and did the waterfalls and rainforest (idependent) swam in the pools and thought it was great. Mr Nice fruit stand was also refreshing.

2nd time did the whale watching (through princess) outstanding.

GRENADA:

Grand Anse Beach was terrific

Bonaire:

Harbour Beach Resort for day pass if available or the small beach next to it which is public. Amazing snorkling there, great bar and food.

Aruba both times Palm Beach as a nice beach to chill out and relax.

Hope this helps

Bonaire and Aruba both are very easy to book idependently. Bonaire Island is small and you will dock right in town, can book snorkel tour or cab to beach if you have your own equipment. Should have time after beach to visit town,which is small.:) Bill

Archived