Does anyone else feel the same way?

Sky Sweet

One of our best cruises was to Alaska on Infinity during its inaugural season. However, some recent posts lead me to believe that if we took that same cruise today it would be a very different experience. There were only two ships in port the day we were in Ketchikan and someone just posted that there are often seven ships in Ketchikan at one time. I have also read that some ships currently spend very little time at Hubbard Glacier because of all the ships waiting to see it, while we spent several hours there.

Now that there are so many ships in Alaska, an Alaskan Cruise is significantly less expensive than it was when we took ours. Yet, I feel very fortunate to have taken that cruise before it became the Caribbean of the North. BTW, I have nothing against the Caribbean per se, but feel the quality of a cruise is greatly compromised when a port allows too many ships into it at the same time.

With this in mind, I would love to see Celebrity tweak some of its itinieraries to include more ports that allow less ships at a time, and would be willing to pay more for that luxury.

Sky Sweet, I was in Alaska 3 weeks ago. There were 4 ships in Ketchikan and we were only there 6 hours as we had to leave to make room for more:(.

In Sitka, we were the only ship in port which was very nice. And we were one of 4 in Juneau as well.

Yes, much more crowded than my 1994 Alaska cruise and noticeably different from 2001, 2002 as well.

I agree with you about the Caribbean being overrun and prefer to fly there and stay in areas away from where the ships dock. St. Thomas is a joke, as in Cozumel, both having sometimes 10 or more ships in port. And the big ones should count as 2, IMO.

One of our best cruises was to Alaska on Infinity during its inaugural season. However, some recent posts lead me to believe that if we took that same cruise today it would be a very different experience. There were only two ships in port the day we were in Ketchikan and someone just posted that there are often seven ships in Ketchikan at one time. I have also read that some ships currently spend very little time at Hubbard Glacier because of all the ships waiting to see it, while we spent several hours there.

Now that there are so many ships in Alaska, an Alaskan Cruise is significantly less expensive than it was when we took ours. Yet, I feel very fortunate to have taken that cruise before it became the Caribbean of the North. BTW, I have nothing against the Caribbean per se, but feel the quality of a cruise is greatly compromised when a port allows too many ships into it at the same time.

With this in mind, I would love to see Celebrity tweak some of its itinieraries to include more ports that allow less ships at a time, and would be willing to pay more for that luxury.

I agree & I might add I am not happy with X as there were too many ships in port in Seattle when we were due to arrive & so now they have taken Seattle OFF our ports & added Astoria instead..which is awful for myelf as I had planned to meet family there (Seattle) as we were heading out to a cemetary after having a stone placed at my Dad's grave after 40 years of no marker(& finally finding it)..now I won't be there..(unless we change our flight to YVR & go in a couple days early & drive down to Seattle area):mad:

The port traffic depends on when you go to Alaska. You can plan your cruise by checking out the various port traffic in advance at cruisecal.com. We took the Summit to Alaska on May 25 and the most cruise ships we saw was two or perhaps three including us at any port. It never impacted us in any way. Hubbard Glacier allows only 4 hours visit per ship and this past May Hubbard was so frozen up with ice we were unable to get very close anyway. We did get to see the birth of a baby seal on the ice floes at Hubbard. The highlight of the cruise was going to Icy Straight Point (Hoonah) as they only allow one ship per day...it was wonderful. Saw lots of whales and brown bear with cubs there.

Kehlx2

Why don't you fly to Seattle and spend a lttle time with your family then either rent a car & drive to Vancovuer (1 way rental) or catch the Seattle - Vancouver airport shuttle bus called Quick Shuttle cost is $45. 1 way or take the train up to Vancouver for your crusie. The amount of $ you will save on your plane fare should more than pay for your rental car.

We fly in & out of SEA all the time just for the savings often over 50% compared to what we would pay to fly within Canada and all we have to do is get north over the border to our destination city. Also elimates the passport necessity for the moment. (now I do have my passport)

Hi Sky !

I agree, but its probably not going to happen. That's why Celebrity started Azamara. If you want that type of Cruise, Azamara or Oceania are the places to look. Good Luck !

Kehlx2

Why don't you fly to Seattle and spend a lttle time with your family then either rent a car & drive to Vancovuer (1 way rental) or catch the Seattle - Vancouver airport shuttle bus called Quick Shuttle cost is $45. 1 way or take the train up to Vancouver for your crusie. The amount of $ you will save on your plane fare should more than pay for your rental car.

We fly in & out of SEA all the time just for the savings often over 50% compared to what we would pay to fly within Canada and all we have to do is get north over the border to our destination city. Also elimates the passport necessity for the moment. (now I do have my passport)

Well we have thought about that--but our air IS booked (thru the ship) and not sure how much to change it..will wait til mid-July when I am to call them on our flights(as they keep changing them) We do have a hotel for the 13th in YVR & can't cancel it & it is out by the airport--so bringing a shuttle up won't work-as I think it would go directly to the ships?? I STILL have to work on my husband on this part..am waiting to find out for sure when the stone will be placed first.) as would hate to go thru all this & then not have it be ready. Thanks for the info tho...I'll keep it til I find out what is going on with us..our hotel is Marriott Vancouver Airport

Hi Sky !

I agree, but its probably not going to happen. That's why Celebrity started Azamara. If you want that type of Cruise, Azamara or Oceania are the places to look. Good Luck !

Hi Andy :)

Your suggestion about Azamara is a good one and my husband and I are planning to try it when we cruise by ourselves.

However, we will be taking a family cruise during Thanksgiving week with our daughter, son-in-law, and new grandchild. Due to Celebrity's lack of options for one week cruises at that time, we booked two suites on Holland America's Westerdam. That cruise will include the less congested Caribbean ports of Tortola and Grand Turk, as well as their private island Half Moon Cay. This will be my first Holland America cruise and the islands mentioned will be new to us.

SkySweet, have you considered a cabana at HMC? They go fast, are a bit pricey but are quite the treat!

I waited too long to book one but visited friends who had and they said it was a highlight of their trip.:)

Hi Caviargal :)

Thanks for the excellent suggestion!

Kehlx2

Me AGAIN!!! Have been checkign out optionos--actually wanted to fly into SEA & drop car in Bellingham & pick up shuttle at B'ham--but only 1 rental returns there Avis & they are $$$ (369 for 2½ days) shuttle from B'ham is $20.90US each..now fly into SEA & rent & return in SEA airport is an ok rate with shuttle from Airport to YVR (also airport--where we'd get shuttle to our hotel) is $44.65US each...now then flying to YVR & rent & bring back to airport YVR is $207.68CDN they show an Enterprise return at Richmond which is where our hotel is--perhaps they'd drive us to the hotel after returning?? Course no pickup--well they might have a shuttle from airport to Enterprise...BIG question here--which is easier to go thru the border--with a US rental or a CDN rental with us being US...guess I am really bothered about taking any kind of rental thru the border. BY renting in CDN we don't have to go thru SEATTLE as we stay on the north end all the time..so not worry about SEA-TAC & traffic..just YVR :eek: & traffic (which we don't know the roads til after the border to US) DECISIONS DECISIONS...:rolleyes: course all this is IF we find out the stone will be there BEFORE we leave--actually I would HAVE to know before mid-July to make arrangments BEFORE I get my seats etc on plane. It WAS easier lately to do nothing & just go into YVR the day before.

WOW it is over $500 to pickup in SEA & return in YVR...guess that isn't too good to do..easiest I think is come into YVR & rent & return there....IF it isn't difficult to take a rental across the border for a few days.

What a great site. Looks like Alaska is very busy today! But, I looked up our cruise dates (late Sep) and learned that for most of our Alaska cruise we will be the only ship in port. Only a few ports have us sharing, and it's with one other ship. Hubbard Glacier is one spot where there is our ship in the morning and a Holland Ship in the afternoon, which seems reasonable.

Thanks for starting this thread, it's my first cruise to Alaska, and I honestly hadn't thought of all the traffic! Glad that we're able to go in the off season.

Cheers,

-Lori

You're lucky, Lori. I'm late-September, too (9/14-9/21, which is the last Alaska trip for this ship). I just checked and saw that there are THREE other ships in Juneau and Skagway the day we're there and two other ships in Ketchikan...

I definitely feel fortunate, as I've seen some other dates that look crowded. It's too bad that they've allowed it to get so crowded. Juneau is the worst day for us with two ships in addition to ours.

What a great site. Looks like Alaska is very busy today! But, I looked up our cruise dates (late Sep) and learned that for most of our Alaska cruise we will be the only ship in port. Only a few ports have us sharing, and it's with one other ship. Hubbard Glacier is one spot where there is our ship in the morning and a Holland Ship in the afternoon, which seems reasonable.

Thanks for starting this thread, it's my first cruise to Alaska, and I honestly hadn't thought of all the traffic! Glad that we're able to go in the off season.

Cheers,

-Lori

Sure looks like it is tip to tip cruise ships up there..WOW...

We also as above leave on the 14 of Sept..so hoping there are some last of the season SALES :D

Archived