How much noise/vibration is there?

music lady

We've done only one river cruise, on the Viking Sky, and a number of ocean cruises. By comparison, the river cruise ship had little or no vibration or noises. Also, the rivers were smooth sailing as compared to the ocean. We were on the mid-deck, somewhat forward, and I was impressed with how quiet and vibration-free the Viking Sky was.

Mary,

If you´re cabin is located aft you might hear some engine noise and get some vibration too. If you cabin is located to the bow you might hear the bow thruster which is used in locks and for landings. Best cabin location is midships. The farther you´re up the less noise or vibration you feel.

The twincruisers used by Avalon do have a separate towboat pushing the hotel barge. Those ships do have much less noise.

steamboats

Mary - We did the Holland to Hungary river cruise in 2007 and were in the bottom level and just returned from China/Yangtze also on the bottom level. No problem. We found that the cabins are the same unless you get a suite on the top deck. Why spend the money to move up a deck or two. You only are in there to sleep and we had no problem. Willard

I think the top deck or middle deck would be fine but I would not be comfortable on the bottom deck as the windows do not open and at times are underwater. It might not bother a lot of people but I know it would bother me. We have a boat and I don't like to just stare at the water without being able to see the shore so I know I would not be comfortable on the bottom deck. JMHO!!!

Avalon has the tug separate from the barge so therefore probably has no noise. I read earlier on another thread that the best place to be is in the middle of the ship to avoid vibration and noise..

For Avalon, it depends on the ship. The Poetry doesn't have a tug. The main noisy part were the bow thrusters, as mentioned by Steamboats. We got used to the thruster noises, which were minimal unless in locks or docking. There weren't noticeable vibrations outside of the use of the thrusters. But I don't know that I noticed a difference in our room as compared to other parts of the ship when it came to the thrusters. The exercise room might have been the loudest, but I think it was near the engine room.

Archived