Live From the Celebrity Summit

tapia

Just wanted to let everyone know that it's GORGEOUS on this ship. I've been on Princess and Carnival and already (I've only been on board 2 1/2 hours) that the service & food are quite superior!

I'm in an aft cabin on the 8th deck and BOY do you get A LOT more space back there. So far I feel no vibrations from the aft, but I will post more about the cabin when I get back!

I LOVE ALASKA!

I'll be posting a review when I get back.

Thanks all!

Just wanted to let everyone know that it's GORGEOUS on this ship. I've been on Princess and Carnival and already (I've only been on board 2 1/2 hours) that the service & food are quite superior!

I'm in an aft cabin on the 8th deck and BOY do you get A LOT more space back there. So far I feel no vibrations from the aft, but I will post more about the cabin when I get back!

I LOVE ALASKA!

Thanks all!

Glad to hear you are already having a good time--post any news after your cruise..Now go have MORE FUN!! :cool:

Oh, I'm having a WONDERUL time--I"m just hoping the cruise will be as great as the land part--I have to say Brooks Falls is winning so far. But, this ship is amazing compared to the other lines I've been on so far--food quality & service are DRASTICALLY different. (in a great way) I'll report more when I can.

LOVING IT!

Tapia ~ thanks for taking the time to check in and let us know you are enjoying Summit. We sailed her in Alaska the first year she was out. Had a spectacular time. Hope you continue to do so as well.

ENJOY!!!!

She is my FAVORITE ship. Take good care of her. We were on her 1 year ago in Alaska. Make certain to eat multiple times at the Normandie. The best restaurant on the high seas. Say hi to Peter for us!

Tapia Glad you are loving your cruise. Have they taken down all the ugly Cirque fabrics from the disco yet?

Do you mean the nghtclub? If not, please let me know where & I'll try & check for you.

I was up there a few times and while there is a lot of white fabric, I think it gives it almost a privacy feel back there--but, given I wasn't paying too much attention.

I just feel that the people & service on this ship is a TON nicer than the others I have been on. Don't get me wrong, I loved those cruises as well. But, I am LOVING the Summit!

Thanks so much for posting live from the Summit. We'll be on the ship in a few weeks and your postings only add to our excitement. Do you have any other information about the new menus...also how has the entertainment been? Keep sharing all the good things!!

Hi Tapia

So glad you're enjoying our favorite ship. We'll be sailing her again in March for the 4th time. We have an aft cabin. Which one are you in? Would love more details as it's our first aft.

Who is your cruise director? I can attest to the best treatment at sea on this ship. The crew make you feel completely at home and the service was way above and beyond anything we've experienced, and we only sail Celebrity.

Keep posting but most of all enjoy your cruise. Yes, yes, try the Normandie, even if only once. That's the high end of a trip for us. What service!

Pat C

You are making me even MORE excited ! I and 16 of my friends sail on July 20 from Ankorage. I've been reading absolutely everything I can about the Summit and I must say, it all sounds WONDERFUL.

Thanks for your updates...enjoy the rest of your trip.:D

Hi,

My husband and I are going to be on the Summit starting this Friday, July 5th for an Alaskan cruise. We are in cabin 8181.

Tell me what your thoughts are so far. Were you on a Southbound cruise?

When are the formal nights!

Thanks,

Tia and Tom

Oh, I'm having a WONDERUL time--I"m just hoping the cruise will be as great as the land part--I have to say Brooks Falls is winning so far. But, this ship is amazing compared to the other lines I've been on so far--food quality & service are DRASTICALLY different. (in a great way) I'll report more when I can.

LOVING IT!

What other cruise lines have you sailed? We have only been on RCI, but are considering the Summit, RCI Brilliance of the Seas and Carnival Freedom for a group cruise to the Med in 2009. We would love comparisons for those in the "know"!:D

Sorry it took me so long to get back on, but I was busy in port doing lots--it is amazing here. I LOVE the Sumit! Some answers:

Tapia' date=' could you please let us know when you next cruise? Your joy and enthusiasm is wonderful. We want to sit at YOUR table! Hope you continue to have a great time.[/quote']

I think I'll be cruising again in December for the Chirstmas / New Years Cruise. It was amazing--I'm deciding to book the Summit again.....loving it!

@ sunspot49: The entertainment has been great. I'm a little disappointed they didn't have a comic one night, but the ventriliqust (sp on that) was AMAZING and hilarious--make sure you don't miss it. I had to drag DH, but he was laughing OVER AND OVER again once I got him in the room!

@ Snowboarders: I'm sure you'll love it. It's amazing. I can't even believe the quality of the service--I'll post a full review when I'm back.

@ PatC: I'm in 8172 & my parents are in 8170. It is HUGE. I can't imaging not having one again. I didn't feel vibrations until the 2nd night, but even then it was slight and it didn't bother me at all. Please, don't let that deter you--it is huge and the sights are so amazing. I'm now spoiled forever. Both my cabin & my parents are the same. I could never ask for anything more.

@Kaycy: Everyone will LOVE it. How do you not love a vacation anyway? But, I find everything here amazing to make it my favorite cruise!

@ MINI-ME: Yes, we're on a Southbound cruise--it's great. We worked ourselves a LOT of the land - tour portion before the cruise and it's great to have the food already paid for & completely unpacked now. The formal nights were the first night (hubbard) and the night of Icy Strait Point. Also, they had a "Midnight Display" buffet that night as well.

@ Sunny AZ Girl: I've been on Princess & Carnival and I consider the Celebrity Summit to be a great step above the rest! I'll post a review when I get back :-)

:) [quote=tapia;@ PatC:

I'm in 8172 & my parents are in 8170. It is HUGE. I can't imaging not having one again. I didn't feel vibrations until the 2nd night, but even then it was slight and it didn't bother me at all. Please, don't let that deter you--it is huge and the sights are so amazing. I'm now spoiled forever. Both my cabin & my parents are the same. I could never ask for anything more.

TAPIA, Coincidentally, we are in that Aft Cabin # 8170 in October to Hawaii. Is there any noise from above decks ? Does the balcony have both open and shaded-by-overhang areas ? Do you look down onto all the lower balconies ?

Are all the Concierge Class amenities available ? New bedding ? What is your Dining Room Table assignment ? Does it appear that CC cabin neighbors are seated in the same Dining Room area ?

Thanks and enjoy the cruise !

I LOVE ALASKA!

Thanks all!

Lucky you - Summit is our FAVORITE SHIP ANYWHERE! We are looking forward to sailing Solstice, but it will be hard to beat the Summit - and if you are coming from Carnival it was not too hard to beat. Princess I think is quite nice but still Summit wins!

HAVE A WONDERFUL TRIP!!!!

Hello Tapia again.........

Are you in a concierge class cabin? If so we have a question re: Hairdryers, do you have a better one in the cabin, or is it just the one on the bathroom wall? Some of our cruisin buddies on our thread were wondering???????

Hope you are still enjoying every minute........

Lynda and Steve

Let me start off by saying that I have never been on Celebrity, and this post is by no means meant to bad-mouth the ship. I am simply reporting my sisters' early experience when they first boarded the ship. I am doing this by my own volition, and they do not know that I am reporting. My heart broke, because I know they were really looking forward to sailing with Celebrity. I truly hope that the reputation of the ship, staff, service, and cuisine will impress them in the end.

My sisters and friends just boarded - July 6 - and were in contact with me via email until they sailed. The have traveled only on RCI cruises so far. Their friends (a couple) have never sailed. They were excited to be sailing with Celebrity as it was reported to be a step above it's sister line, Royal Caribbean. They were looking forward to a higher caliber of cuisine, service, and atmosphere. They said that after they were greeted on board they were sent to the restaurant for the lunch buffet. They were surprised that the food quality and choice was so poor, even for a disembarkation buffet! The said it reminded them of cafeteria food and that it also smelled like a hospital cafeteria. My heart sank after I heard this. For their sakes, I truly hope the food quality improves from now on. Their next email came after they saw their cabin. I believe they are on the Penthouse Deck and in a veranda cabin. Their friends are in a higher category and on a different deck. One of the first things they noticed was that the hallways stank of a urine-like smell. When they went to their friends' deck, it had the same odor as well. Their friends' cabin had the new bedding, and according to the cabin steward, the Summit is in the process of changing all the bedding, but they can only do so many cabins at once, so unfortunately, my sisters' cabin had not been changed yet. They said that the bathroom was the biggest part of the room and the shower was larger than expected. They made comment about the small? blowdryer, so I assume that it was located in the bathroom as was mentioned by a previous post. They mentioned having a hard time getting their luggage into the room (they have one suitcase each). Their next email was from the balcony and they said it was a decent size. They were enjoying it until the paint and diesel fumes, and another bad odor chased them away. Unfortunately, they couldn't get the door open to get back into the room. It took several tries and all their body weight to throw it open! I must mention that in their past cruises, they only stayed in an "Interior" cabin, so it's not like they are comparing a suite to this balcony. They know that their previous cruises were in newer ships, but they say from what they have seen so far, the ship is very worn for its 6 years. I feel like they have alot invested in this cruise because they have spent a great deal more money (despite the type of cabin), as much or more than the price they have spent on two cruises. They are still in good spirits and said that they are not going to nitpick and want to enjoy themselves, but this early experience got them wondering if the best is yet to come...

I don't know if I will hear from them again before the end of the cruise. If I do, I truly hope that they are having a great time, and that the service is marvelous, and that the food is to die for. That's how it should always be!

What other cruise lines have you sailed? We have only been on RCI, but are considering the Summit, RCI Brilliance of the Seas and Carnival Freedom for a group cruise to the Med in 2009. We would love comparisons for those in the "know"!:D

We have been on RCI and NCL and Celebrity. No question at all Celebrity is our favorite line so far.

Let me start off by saying that I have never been on Celebrity, and this post is by no means meant to bad-mouth the ship. I am simply reporting my sisters' early experience when they first boarded the ship. I am doing this by my own volition, and they do not know that I am reporting. My heart broke, because I know they were really looking forward to sailing with Celebrity. I truly hope that the reputation of the ship, staff, service, and cuisine will impress them in the end.

My sisters and friends just boarded - July 6 - and were in contact with me via email until they sailed. The have traveled only on RCI cruises so far. Their friends (a couple) have never sailed. They were excited to be sailing with Celebrity as it was reported to be a step above it's sister line, Royal Caribbean. They were looking forward to a higher caliber of cuisine, service, and atmosphere. They said that after they were greeted on board they were sent to the restaurant for the lunch buffet. They were surprised that the food quality and choice was so poor, even for a disembarkation buffet! The said it reminded them of cafeteria food and that it also smelled like a hospital cafeteria. My heart sank after I heard this. For their sakes, I truly hope the food quality improves from now on. Their next email came after they saw their cabin. I believe they are on the Penthouse Deck and in a veranda cabin. Their friends are in a higher category and on a different deck. One of the first things they noticed was that the hallways stank of a urine-like smell. When they went to their friends' deck, it had the same odor as well. Their friends' cabin had the new bedding, and according to the cabin steward, the Summit is in the process of changing all the bedding, but they can only do so many cabins at once, so unfortunately, my sisters' cabin had not been changed yet. They said that the bathroom was the biggest part of the room and the shower was larger than expected. They made comment about the small? blowdryer, so I assume that it was located in the bathroom as was mentioned by a previous post. They mentioned having a hard time getting their luggage into the room (they have one suitcase each). Their next email was from the balcony and they said it was a decent size. They were enjoying it until the paint and diesel fumes, and another bad odor chased them away. Unfortunately, they couldn't get the door open to get back into the room. It took several tries and all their body weight to throw it open! I must mention that in their past cruises, they only stayed in an "Interior" cabin, so it's not like they are comparing a suite to this balcony. They know that their previous cruises were in newer ships, but they say from what they have seen so far, the ship is very worn for its 6 years. I feel like they have alot invested in this cruise because they have spent a great deal more money (despite the type of cabin), as much or more than the price they have spent on two cruises. They are still in good spirits and said that they are not going to nitpick and want to enjoy themselves, but this early experience got them wondering if the best is yet to come...

I don't know if I will hear from them again before the end of the cruise. If I do, I truly hope that they are having a great time, and that the service is marvelous, and that the food is to die for. That's how it should always be!

I think this is a lesson in always checking when the ship has been or is to be refurbished before booking any cruise with any company.

The food on Celebrity is always of a high standard so do hope this proves to be true for your family.

Jillybean

Hi,

My husband and I are going to be on the Summit starting this Friday, July 5th for an Alaskan cruise. We are in cabin 8181.

Tell me what your thoughts are so far. Were you on a Southbound cruise?

When are the formal nights!

Thanks,

Tia and Tom

We're on Summit August 24, also in Cabin 8181. We would be interested in knowing if that huge balcony was sufficient for viewing or if it was necessary to go up on the main deck.

Archived