Vantage River Discovery

Ocala

There is a full size umbrella in each room that can be also used as a walking stick. The weather has been foggy in the morning with some afternoon sun. most days in the low 50's. Today the high is to be in the 40's and is very misty. We are doing the Wurzburg tour. The other option is Rothenburg. I will let you know what the verdict is on what to take. We chose Wurzburg for the wine tasting, thats why we took this cruise. So far the wines have been great. Not much chance for beer yet.

Andy

Just back from the Residence tour and wine tasting. It is an amazing baroque and rococco palace. Rothenburg is a timbered walled city. We will see several timbered cities, but everyone who went on that tour was very impressed. We loved the residence, kind of a small Versaille. It inculded a wine tasting with 4 wonderful local produced white wines by the residence. I am very glad we took that choice, but if you are not up to drinking at 11am you might want to choose the other tour.

Talked to Tina, the hotel manager, about the "crash". It poped out the windows on 2 cabins, but they were quickly fixed, and no other damage. Tina is also as helpful as can be, and very nice on the eyes. If I hadnot read about I would have never have known.

Andy

Hi Andy!

Thanks again for the information! I thought Vantage might provide umbrellas. Yeah, those two tour choices are a tough call. Both sound great. Have the wines been on the sweet side which I understand is normal for the area or more dry - or both available?

We're glad you're enjoying your trip and hope Chef Gilbertson is feeding you well! :p

Tks again for the info! Enjoy!! //Mark//

Andy - Thanks for the wine report! We can't wait - and it won't be too long now!

We appreciate you taking the time to update us on your cruise and answer all our questions! You have been beyond helpful!

Hope we cross paths at the hotel in Vienna. I'd like to thank you personally. I'll be on the look out for you.

Enjoy the remainder of your cruise! Cheers //Mark//

Good to hear that the accident wasn´t as bad as the local police press release sounded. At least it wasn´t the fault of the captain of the River Discovery but the fault of the captain of the freighter.

Andy, great review! As you are on a themed wine cruise Würzburg was definitely the better option! They have wonderful wines there and the Franconian wines are my favorites (maybe because I´ve lived close to Würzburg as a child??). Most of the German wines are dry or semi-dry (except for the ice wines and dessert wines of course). A real specialty are red wines from Franconia as they usually grow white wines in that region! Enjoy your cruise!

steamboats

Steamboats, we had to miss the Vantage cruise we had booked in Nov. Was wondering if we rebooked what month is your best weather. We were thinking about May or Sept of next year. Any info would be appreciated. We were going on the Danube and Rhine. Seems like you have been having rain and even snow in Vienna. Nancy

Archived