Vantage River Discovery

Ocala

:) Hello fellow travelers! Four of us are booked on the Nov. 7, 2007 Wine & Cuisine Vienna/Cologne trip on the Vantage River Discovery. I realize this is a new vessel and am interested in comments from those that have cruised on Discovery this summer. Also, anyone out there joining our cruise? Any/all feedback would be more than welcome!

Cheers!

Ocala:)

• 2 months later...

Just ran across your post. My partner and I are also booked on this trip and looking forward to this new ship. See you onboard!

Can't offer any info about the ship since it's also our first time onboard.

Don

Don_Ken - Glad to hear you are on "our" trip! So far I have been able to find some general info on the cruise. Stuff like internet access has been rotten (what internet? I'm on vacation!) and it is a nice river cruiser. I'm not too concerned if it is cold (even from Florida) but I certainly want nice sunny photo-taking days! Are you taking the Prague extention? We lived there ages ago and so are not interested. With documents in hand now we're nearly ready to go! See you onboard or in Vienna!

Anyone out there in Cruise Critic land comin with us?

Travelingandroid - we hope you have a nice trip! Too bad we can't get your full comments before our departure but an email onboard would be super!

:) Cheers //Mark//

We are also skipping Prague. We were there last spring so we decided to pass on the pre-trip. Thanks for the heads up on internet access; might still bring the laptop to access info on the city while in Vienna. As you suggested, we will not mind cold weather but I hope the rain stays away. We're thinking of purchasing a three day "Weinkarte". Sounds like a good deal for the metro and museum discounts.

See you at the intoductory dinner at the hotel or even at the airport!

Don

Don - don't let me discourage you from bringing your laptop. The internet connection may have been corrected. I understand there are a couple of terminals onboard and that you buy internet minutes in a "block". Also in port you might be able to hit "hotspots" with your laptop. The Weinkarte sounds like a good deal especially since our hotel is right across the street from a major rail/underground terminal. We're not arriving in Vienna until late afternoon so perhaps sup at the hotel if nothing is near by. I will be needing a serious schnitzle & beer fix! I'm hoping we hear from Travelingandriod on their first impressions of the cruise.

If I find out any more info on the trip, I'll pass it along. Cheers //Mark//

Thanks, Andy! Any tips or tricks that you discover will be most appreciated! If I think of any questions before your departure, I will certainly post them. I hope your internet access has no problems! We are so looking forward to this trip! Hope you have a wonderful time.

Cheers //Mark//

Andy - I just thought of a question if you don't mind. If you are a beer drinker, can you check what they have onboard? Draft? Bottled? Prices? Given where we will be sailing, I certainly have my hopes up! :p

Enjoy your trip! Cheers and beers //Mark//

Just back from Discovery, Amsterdam to Budapest. The ship is absolutely immaculate, the food beyond excellent, the menu incredible with broad selection at every meal and a steak or a burger if you would rather have one.

There are 4 available "laptops" in the Library. Connections are doubtful while underway but better while stopped. The laptops were not used much, there was one available most of the time.

The onboard beer is Holsten, one of the biggest of the German brands. Seems a lot like Heineken to me, not to my taste. They have some others in bottles, Heineken, Budvar (the real Budwiser) and 2 or 3 others. Holsten, .5 L is $4.00 US. All transactions onboard are in US $.

I think I should mention that they do not mind if you bring back some beers from shore visits.

Al

Al! Thanks for the beer report! I am not familiar with Holsten and on Beer-Rater they show 13 different types. I assume with the Heineken reference it is a pils or lighter type draft. 4 bucks for .5 L is better than expected. Heineken isn't my favorite, I prefer Grolsch (i'm drinking one now), or the motherlode, Pilsner Urquell (Czech Republic). I'll look for some Holsten locally (good luck :( ).

Glad to hear you really liked the ship and food! I hope you had a great time!

Any hints of what to bring on board or what was unnecessary? I will certainly take advantage of bring some good stuff back on the shore trips! Thanks for the tip!

Thanks for helping us out! //Mark//

I think Holsten called it their "premium", it tastes like a lager brewed with pilsner malts as opposed to "vienna" style malts. It is very mild compared to Pilsner Urquell.

I like the dark (dunkle) and malty styles, these are easier to find in Bavaria, also English or American style Pale Ales.

By the way, I might have mis-spoke about the size of the mug, it might have been .4l, not .5l.

As what to take, I would make a priority to visit my doctor and ask about medication to with you take in case of illness. Cipro or the like for upset digestion and Clarithromycin for lung issues. When 200 people from all parts of the world get thrown together, something seems to get going around. Antibiotics are not the right answer for everything, your doctor should advise you on what and when to use, if necessary. On our last 4 trips; Europe, British Isles, China, Europe, we have got a cough or worse on 3 of them. Your mileage may vary.

I would take a dressy sports coat and slacks for "dress up" dinners, nearly everyone dressed up on this trip. On the China cruise (Victoria Anna), very few dressed up.

We try to pack light, for a 3 week trip, we take two bags that weigh 38 to 40 lbs each. We take a very light rain and wind proof REI jackets with a detachable hood and fleece and other warm things to layer under them. I carry a long sleeve T shirt and thermal bottoms to wear under Dockers when needed.

I would leave shorts home unless you need to have them for use on the boat, very few people in Europe wear them, except for sports.

Al

Al - Thanks for all the tips! Very good info indeed! I'm planning on sports coat/slacks for dinner, sweaters/heavy pants for siteseeing, and a sturdy bag for my on-shore beer purchases :rolleyes: . Looks like it might be a little colder than we Floridians are used to. That's ok, though. Blue skies are what I'm looking for picture-wise.

Thanks too for the tips on the meds. Good thinking.

Cheers and beers //Mark//

I'm afraid I have tragic news. Chef Tell has passed away on Friday of heart failure.

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20071029_Friedman_P__Erhardt__63__televisions_Chef_Tell.html

It would have been a thrill to have met him and have him cook for us. This is terrible news for someone at a mere 63 to go so soon.

Our sympathy to his family and friends.

I am sure the cruise now underway is in shock and sadness as well.

So sad ...... //Mark//

Mark,

I don´t want to scare you. But according to news accounts over here a freighter and a passenger cruise ship collided near Bamberg on the Main-Danube-Canal last week. There weren´t any names mentioned. But according to the port list of Bamberg the passenger cruise ship might have been the River Discovery. I don´t have any confirmation for this. Lots of the cabin windows have been smashed. And they said that divers have to check the hull. No one was hurt and passengers were bussed to Bamberg (BTW the captain of the freight ship caused the accident). I haven´t read any updates on this incident. So I definitely don´t know how big the damages are and how fast they can be repaired. You might call Vantage and asked them whether it´s the River Discovery and whether your cruise is affected.

steamboats

Oh my,that is terrible but not surprising.Having cruised on the Main-Danube Canal last summer it amazes me it doesn't happen more often. The ships do get very close to each other.We were astounded at the skill of the Captain of Avalon Tranquility steering that immense ship into those tiny locks!!!

Steamboats - I appreciate the information! I hope it is not true that it is River Discovery but glad no one was hurt. Someone on the cruise right now said they may post an update on the cruise during their trip so I hope we hear something from them. Thanks again for the head's up and please let us know if you find any more information. Cheers //Mark//

I just spoke to Vantage Travel group desk, and the River Discovery was involved in contact with another boat in Bamberg. One sliding glass cabin door was broken and there was no other damage to the ship other than paint and the cruise continued on after repairs to the glass door. This incident will not affect others with trips on Vantage. We leave on Dec 21st for a Christmas and New Years cruise on the River Navigator with a group of 12 people.

Tiegs - Thanks for the good news! We called Vantage yesterday and they said if there had been an accident, they would know about it! Perhaps it was too minor to worry them or tell their staff. Thanks again for the info! And have a wonderful trip! //Mark//

Friday Nov 2, 2007

Hi we are on day 5 of the wine and cuisine cruise. If it was the River Discovery in the accident in Bamberg it has not affected this cruise or the ship. The ship is very beautiful. A few notes. Most everyone had on a coat and Tie, and some fancy tops/skirts for the captain’s dinner. The rest of the time it has been very casual. Most people wear the same clothes to diner they wear during the day trips. We brought 3 large suitcases, and 2 large totes. No problems anywhere, they all fit under the bed when unpacked. We brought an over the door shoe rack with 24 cubbies that fit lots of things I am glad we did. There are 2 110 outlets, one in the bathroom, and one in the cabin. I have an extension cord on the one in the cabin and have my laptop battery, and my phone charger hooked up to it. I had my cell phone unlocked before we left home, and got an Ortel sim card over here. Have had a cell signal the entire trip so far. The cost was 14 Euros; with 10 euros call credit for the sim card. It can be recharged for 10-30 euros almost anywhere in Germany. It is US 12 cents to call the USA, and free for incoming calls. It costs US 28 cents to call from our office in Denver, It is charged to the USA phone caller. I gave them the number as soon as I put in the sim card. It has worked great. If you call out on the ship it is $2.00 per minute, so if you are going to call home at all it is worth it. Internet connection with my wireless laptop works most of the time from our room. It is spotty as to be expected when cruising. I think the charge is around $30.00 for one hour of credit. Krista the wine expert is very delightful, and worth spending time with. The crew and staff have been very helpful. Because of the type of cruise we have wine with every dinner, with choice of local white and red every night. And they pour all through dinner. The cuisine has been wonderful, and very varied. Have to go to town to get local sausages. Every dinner we have a meat, fish, and vegetarian choice. They have laundry service (1 day turn around) on board. Prices range from $1.50 for underwear/socks to $5.50 skirt/trousers. They have a hand picked replacement for Chef Tell He will be on board tonight and for the rest of the trip. Chef Tell was ill and the replacement was decided on a few weeks ago, although we were never informed ahead of time. We will see what he is like, but he is suppose to have been hand picked by chef Tell, and was one of his protégés. His death was quite unexpected, and a shock to the crew on board. There are a couple of people on board with walkers, they seem to get around ok on ship, but have some problems on the tours. The walks have been gentile so far, but I wouldn’t want to do them with a handicap. All the streets are cobblestone. The exercise room is 2 recumbent bicycles, 1 treadmill, and 2 sets of hand dumbbells. There are only a few of us using the room in the mornings. There is no Dr or Pharmacy on board. Not much for sale on board, Lots of Swarski jewelry, Jackets, hats, and a other souvenirs. There is an alarm clock in each room, so no need to bring one from home. If you have any other questions I will try and answer them. Have a wonderful trip over here; we may see you when we pass in Vienna

Andy

Hi Andy! Wonderful report! The food and wine sound wonderful! Glad the "incident" didn't affect the cruise. One question: I don't know if it has been raining, but does Vantage have umbrellas to use or should we bring our own? We are really excited about the trip and really appreciate you taking the time from your vacation to report back to us! Thanks again for the report and have a wonderful time! Cheers! //Mark//

Archived