On Formal Nights do you coordinate your families outfits?

oraf7

We are a family of 5 and I try to coordinate our outfits for the Formal nights which is why I am on a major hunt for an Ivory Dress. I am trying to get use out of DD's Prom Dresses and work around them. Not too hard because they are nice colors and one is Black.

So how crazy do you go or does everyone wear what they want regardless?

It's just me and my husband (no kids) and we try to coordinate our colors so the pictures come out well. One night I wore a gold gown and he wore his black suit with a white shirt and gold tie and one of the backdrops had alot of brown/gold and blue in it with gold columns. It's my absolutely favorite picture. :) I'm going to try and post it if I can get it down to size.

My hubby would never be agreeable to matching our outfits for formal night or any other event. If it turned out accidentally that we were "matched", I don't think he would change clothes, but if he had any notion I was deliberately trying to orchestrate a matched or coordinated look, I know he would object.

But then we don't pose for portraits in formal attire either, so I guess wearing clothing that worked well together for a formal portrait does have merit as long as it doesn't appear too staged.

It's rather theatrical to all be dressed in the matchie-matchie colors....takes away from the individuality of the persons involved whether it's adults or children and/or both. Some people just take it too far and it's unappealing. If people want to coordinate so there isn't any clashing, I feel that's way more pleasing to the eye.

I coordinate everyone for photo purposes. We don't match per se but I would be sure that the boys and my hubby had shirts and ties that were of the same color value so as not to have one "pop" more than another.

Yes, I can't stand it when nice photos are taken and there are a million different colors and patterns going on. I have this really nice photo of us girls at a baby shower, and 3 girls are wearing patterned dresses, I was wearing black and pink and my sister was in black and gold, the photo is pretty bad w/ all those colors and patterns. So yes, I wil be in black, DH will be in black suit, white shirt, tie, DD (10) is wearing a black and white dress. I don't want matching outfits, just want colors that all go together.

I think that is great that you coordinate your outfits on formal night. My wife and I mainly cruise by ourselves now and on formal night I will wear a bow tie that will go nicely with her formal dress. And, even on semi-formal nights I might wear a particular shirt color or sports jacket that will match nicely with her outfit.

And, when our children used to cruise with us we would try to wear clothing that matched nicely. It does make for nice pictures and some very nice memories.

Keith

I will go as far as to coordinate my husbands shirt and tie with what I'm wearing. If I'm wearing anything ivory I don't want him in a white shirt, that tends to make the ivory color look dirty. I don't "match" his tie, I just make sure it will not clash and perhaps has a color in the background that goes with the color I have on.

If your kids are little, it looks cute to match them to each other. Mommy and me dresses, when your child is less than, say, 4 years old looks cute. Other than that, I can't stand to see "matchy" clothes on adults. You see that a lot on Hawaii cruises.....weird.

I wouldn't even begin to try with my teenage daughter now, she's at that age where everything has to be perfect and I'm always wrong about what "perfect" is. So, having so much black formal wear, when she's along, I just wear black. I love black.

When we're with a large group of family, it really doesn't matter to me, all I see are the beautiful faces that I love in the photo.

Archived