Is it possible to drive to Hana and stop at Haleakala Crater on way back for sunset?

leipoppy

Just wondering if someone can tell me if it is too ambitious to do the Road to Hana and then detour to the summit of Haleakala Crater to watch the sunset on the way back? We have other plans for the second day in Maui so we were hoping to do the two in one day, I have already been to Haleakala before, we just wanted to see the sunset but I am not sure what time we would need to leave in the morning and how long each section would take to drive etc? Apologies for the double post, asked this question as a reply and don't think it was the correct way to ask a new question. Am hoping someone with answers might see this here! :confused:

I'd say your plan is too ambitious, for sure. There is no "detour" to Haleakala on the way back from Hana. The trip out to Hana and back is a full day in itself. Especially is you are stopping along the way for pictures (highly suggested) and if you venture past Hana some (also highly suggested). If you look at a map of Maui, you have to come all the way back off the Hana highway before heading up the volcano.

To answer your question, yes, it's possible to make the drive you are talking about if all you are doing is driving nonstop and not viewing the scenery. But, you would not be getting the most out of either place you went.

However, that's strictly my opinion as a visitor who has done both drives once and not somebody that lives there.

I've never been to Hawaii yet but from my research it seems to be to much for one day.

We are doing to road to Hana day 1 as we are not limited on time and then the crater on day 2. So far that's the plan. Now to get all the other details together. LOL

I think it is totally doable. Depending on how much stopping you do, of course. And, where you are leaving from. From Kahului, you can leave by 8 am and that gives you 8 hrs to do Hana and get up to the top of the crater for sunset. Getting to Hana and back just driving is only about 4 hrs, So, you can do about 2-3 hrs of sightseeing on the side. Then, you head up to the crater from Haiku side...look at the map. You will be fine.....Have a great time!

The road which takes you to Mt. Haleakala from Hana, as I understand it from the Hawaii newspapers, is that the portion of the road that circles around that side of the mountain is closed until 2009 due to earthquake damage (landslide issues). You may want to check this out before deciding. Things do change, so ask lots of questions!:D

Hello...

Having spent a lot of time in Maui, I'd say that Bbailey was "spot on" when suggesting that it's too much to do in one day.

It is POSSIBLE to cram in all in, but you would definitely put yourselves under great time pressure and not be able to really stop and enjoy the sights and experiences along the road to Hana. I'd suggest making the day trip to Hana and, perhaps, stopping at Mama's Fish House for a dinner treat on the way home...right on the way and best fish on the Island.

Going to the volcano crater is a trip in itself; save for another day or another visit and really enjoy it.

Enjoy and savor what you do!

murphysmum;)

I've been to Maui twice before and stayed with friends in Kula. I know we took other roads to get to the north shore without going all the way back to Kahalui so I checked a map of Maui.

From Hana take 360 (Hana Highway) back to 365 and then take 365 through Makawao to 37. It looks like you are on 37 just a short distance until you turn on 377 which is the Haleakula Highway. From there you'll see signs to the National Park. Google maps says it's 67.8 miles and takes 3h 57min from Hana to the top of Haleakula.

The only reservation I would have is that driving either road roundtrip (Road to Hana or the Road to the top of Haleakula) is tiring by itself. You would really have to love to drive to do them both in one day.

Pat

I think it is totally doable. Depending on how much stopping you do, of course. And, where you are leaving from. From Kahului, you can leave by 8 am and that gives you 8 hrs to do Hana and get up to the top of the crater for sunset. Getting to Hana and back just driving is only about 4 hrs, So, you can do about 2-3 hrs of sightseeing on the side. Then, you head up to the crater from Haiku side...look at the map. You will be fine.....Have a great time!

I agree that it can be done, but for cruise pax, I wouldn't recommend it. Especially for the NCLA cruises, which are so port-intensive, IMO doing both on the same day would be too much for true enjoyment. They can't leave by 8 am because that's when the ship docks. They'll probably be able to be on the road by 9ish. And would need to be at the summit between 5 and 6 (depending on time of year), that's about right to be ahead of the sunset, isn't it? (Serious question; we've never been up there for sunset, so I only know basic sunset times from sea level.)

As a resident, the drive is 2 hours one way (straight drive) for you, but for most visitors, it takes a bit longer. Partly because they're unfamiliar with the road; partly because it is a challenging drive for many; partly because they will probably have to pull over to let locals pass them on the way.;) I think 4-1/2 to 5 hours r/t is reasonable. Plus, the roads from Haiku and Paia, while not difficult IMO, are also unfamiliar to most visitors and will likely take a bit more time than for residents and frequent visitors.

If you add in the time to drive down to (and enjoy) Oheo, then that's at least an hour on its own (including drive time to/from Hana). Then there's the drive time from Haiku (or Paia) to the summit. That's just one heck of a lot of sitting in the car time all in one day, IMO.

The other thing to consider is that on a land trip, we have time to recuperate from a long and tiring day like that. On a cruise, not so much. I wouldn't want to be so tired that I couldn't enjoy the next adventures.

This is, as always, JMHO.

leipoppy: If it would truly be enjoyable for you, then you should do it. Definitely take the roads from Haiku or Paia as Mo-n-CJ suggests. That will help shorten the overall drive time. You should keep in mind what plans you have for the next day too. I do realize that not everyone feels a need to rest and relax a bit in Hawaii. As you've visited before, I'm sure you know your limits. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a lovely time.:)

beachchick

I was wondering if there was a particular reason that you want to go to Haleakula at sunset? I was remembering if you looking at the crater the sunset will be behind you. That is why most people prefer the sunrise. I'm sure there will be a change in the colors of the crater if that's what you want to see but you will have to turn around and look away from the crater to see the sunset. You might also need to go closer to the lookout that is near Science City and I don't think that you will see the sunset over the ocean from there. The nicest sunsets on Maui are near the Kannapali and Lahania areas. Has anyone been to the top for sunset?

Pat

The sunset is AWESOME from the top of Haleakala. Plus, it isn't as cold as in the morning...brrrrr. Depending on the day, every sunset is so different here. You never know what the next day will bring. I have the best sunset pics ever from the top. Yes, you do stand up by the science center and look off that way. It's amazing....especially if there are a few clouds under you.

There are many good sights from up there other then the magnificent interior of the crater. You can also see the Kona side of the Big Island.

I would say :D to sunset on the crater.

Iv actually BEEN to Hana and unless the road is vastly improved I would say its impossible. yikes.

Sometimes it is one lane and you have to stop and its very slow driving. You cant just look at the mileage. It was totally worth the drive, but it was a full day for us. You will be tired unless you miss half the stuff. We did stop and swim at the 7 craters or 7 something, the name escapes me around Hana, it was such a great place to see. So many waterfalls. You cant enjoy it and plan something else the same day.

With our 1 trip to the Islands and Maui, and we stayed up in Hana, I would recommend planning a day for each trip. From the airport it is a good 2 hr drive up to Hana with stops, top speed for non natives, 20-25 mph very windy with one lane bridges every other turn. Take you time and enjoy the trip to Hana, then go next day to Haleakala.

With our 1 trip to the Islands and Maui, and we stayed up in Hana, I would recommend planning a day for each trip. From the airport it is a good 2 hr drive up to Hana with stops, top speed for non natives, 20-25 mph very windy with one lane bridges every other turn. Take you time and enjoy the trip to Hana, then go next day to Haleakala.

Have you really made it to Hana from the airport in 2 hours including scenic stops? Two hours is the average straight driving time with no stops (except maybe for potty or to stretch your legs for a minute). Just curious.

I completely agree about taking your time and enjoying it. To just drive there and then rush back kind of defeats the purpose.

beachchick

Thanks Guys for the advice! We were planning to do the crater second day anyway, just wanted to make sure we were on the right track. There is definitely too much to see and too little time to see it all! This may call for another trip at a future date....:rolleyes:

Just wondering if someone can tell me if it is too ambitious to do the Road to Hana and then detour to the summit of Haleakala Crater to watch the sunset on the way back?

We did the Road to Hana / Haleakala Summit drive in May 2004 when the backside road was open and it WAS a long day but it was also an unforgettable day to remember. We got off the ship, rented a Jeep and drove over to Hana stopping often but not for long at each break. Then we continued around the island on a road a lot of people said was barely passable (no way this was true, the road was no worse than most pot hole infested streets in Houston). We both agreed if you miss this side of Maui you miss a totally different side of this island (pun intended but true), like seven pools and just the rougher surf with views of lava drop offs into the ocean are different (much larger and steeper) on the backside than most tourist traveled areas.

We ate lunch bought the wife a bouquet of flowers at a quaint little roadside flower shop and up to the summit of Haleakala we went. The driving was not at all difficult. At the top you could see the volcanoes on The Big Island (Hawaii) a don't miss sight. We were very lucky, maybe the volcano Gods were looking on us with favor for our efforts to enjoy the island, but as the sun started to go down I looked into the Haleakala Crater and as the mist rose up a round rainbow with my shadow appeared. I ran to get Teri and as she stood on the rim of the crater I laid down to avoid two shadows and got a nice picture of Teri in the center of a round rainbow. http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2102312370091393226HpxqzR . At the end of the trip she said it was probably the best day she had on this cruise then she added it might be tied with several other exciting drives and hikes we did on Kauai - Hawaii on the Lava (and when people tell you how difficult the hike is over the Lava check out my shoes I had on as we walked over a mile in to get to the Lava Flow) http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2605834510091393226cCZyiT , equally as long but unforgettable. The effort we put into these excursions were rewarded with tired muscles but lifetime memories.

We have other plans for the second day in Maui so we were hoping to do the two in one day, I have already been to Haleakala before, we just wanted to see the sunset but I am not sure what time we would need to leave in the morning and how long each section would take to drive etc?

The second day we took it a lot easier and enjoyed a shore dive near Lahaina Maui, then just walked around the square with A Huge Banyon Tree, and talked with locals and tourist. We did a shore dive on Maui, Oahu and at Kona on the island of Hawaii plus hikes on Kauai, Maui, Hawaii and Oahu. We rested when we got home while reminiscing and looked at photos.

My point with all this is have as much fun as your body will allow while on this cruise then rest when you get back (IMHO). If you enjoy just laying out on the beach and shopping, there are plenty of these options also :).

diverearl: I agree that it would be easier to do both in one day if the road around the south was open. But because part of the road is still closed and is scheduled to be closed for at least the next year that's not an option. Going around the south, you basically have to go by the road that leads up Haleakala to get back to Kahului.

Of course if anyone wants to do both in one day and knows that they will enjoy it, they definitely should. As long as they realize the amount of time required and how long they'll be sitting in the car just driving.

beachchick

Archived