Cartier Watches

I am looking for a particular Cartier watch. In the past, when visiting Paris, I was able to negotite with the Cartier store on Place Vendome and get a watch for about 40% off list price. Since we are visiting Villefranche, and have hired a driver, does anyone have a recommendation of a shop? I have also heard that watches are priced lower in Spain. We are going to be there as well,again with a driver. I don't want to bore you with my itinerary so since we will be in the Med...any country will do! LOL! Any and all information will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Karen

I (rather my wife) have been purchasing Cartier watches and jewelry in major European cities for years. I have never heard of negotiating a discount in any Cartier-owned store. That is not to say that once in awhile there are better official prices on end-of-season merchandise and items they wish to move out of their store, but there are no 40% discounts to be negotiated in Cartier stores. If you are lucky they will throw in a bottle of perfume with an expensive purchase.

That being said, since Cartier watches are not sold exclusively in Cartier-owned stores, it may be possible to negotiate a discount in other non-Cartier-owned jewelry stores that sell Cartier watches. However, in my experience, jewelers in the United States will feel much more inclined to offer you a discount than jewelers in Europe, since in Europe the distribution agreements that govern the relationship between the jeweler and the merchandise being sold are far stricter than they are in the United States, and the European jeweler will not want to risk losing its distributorship of a prestigious brand as a consequence of having offered you a discount.

Here in Barcelona, there is a beautiful Cartier-owned store on Paseo de Gracia, corner of Consejo de Ciento. Suárez (next to Louis Vuitton on Paseo de Gracia) is a very large, renowned jeweler here in Spain. The Spanish department store El Corte Inglés also has a Cartier counter on the ground floor at the Plaza Cataluña store and a full-fledged Cartier store within a store at El Corte Inglés on Paseo de la Castellana in Madrid. Madrid also has Suárez jewelers on Serrano street, Wempe on Serrano street, several other large jewelers that sell Cartier watches, and a beautiful Cartier store on Serrano street at the corner of José Ortega y Gasset. I would strongly recommend your purchasing something like a Cartier watch only from a Cartier store, El Corte Inglés, or any of the jewelers I have just mentioned, so that you have the peace of mind of the watch being genuine.

The combination of the euro being very strong and the fact that in the United States you can negotiate a larger discount in jewelry stores probably make it more sensible to purchase this type of watch there and not here in Europe.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Gunter,

I must disagree with you. On two occasions I have gotten better prices in Paris in a Cartier shop! As for the US discounts...tey are very small. I have called my jewler here and he is offering at best a 15% discount. That coupled with the fact that I must pay tax whittles down the discount substantially. If I piurchase in Europe, I get the VAT back and since this is a large purchase that in itself is a big saving. I do know my pricing here, I do not make large purchases blindly, so we will have to see.I would not purchase an item like this ina store that was not an authorized Cartier dealer....I do not want any gray items. Thank you for your response.

K

QueenK2, Just was curious do you find that between the exhange rate between the US dollar and the Euro and the additional duty that you pay on your return back to the United States that you realize much savings from this. Just wondering?

Thanks,

Keith

keith,

That is why I priced the model and explored my options here. BEFORE I left. I am curious myself. The discount would have to be high in order for me to realize a savings and to make it worthwhile.

Karen

keith,

That is why I priced the model and explored my options here. BEFORE I left. I am curious myself. The discount would have to be high in order for me to realize a savings and to make it worthwhile.

Karen

Thanks, Karen. That makes sense. When you get back from your trip I would be curious what you learned. I have always just made the assumption that for the reasons I mentioned that it would cost more to buy items such as a Carier Rolex, etc. abroad. But, maybe I'm wrong so it would be intersesting to see what you experience. Good luck.

Keith

Gunter,

I must disagree with you. On two occasions I have gotten better prices in Paris in a Cartier shop! As for the US discounts...tey are very small. I have called my jewler here and he is offering at best a 15% discount. That coupled with the fact that I must pay tax whittles down the discount substantially. If I piurchase in Europe, I get the VAT back and since this is a large purchase that in itself is a big saving. I do know my pricing here, I do not make large purchases blindly, so we will have to see.I would not purchase an item like this ina store that was not an authorized Cartier dealer....I do not want any gray items. Thank you for your response.

K

If you are getting the VAT back, are you declaring the purchase to US Customs upon your return to the US? I am not familiar with the US rules, but I would have thought that there were some restrictions on tax and duty free imports . If the big savings is the VAT refund and if there is tax and duty when you return to the US and your savings is because you are not "declaring" the goods I would assume that the watch could be seized.You may want to check out what the proper rules are so that you can determine what the real discount amounts to.

Gunther, I've keep forgetting to ask you about this. I remember that several months ago you were going on a cruise on the Europa. Did you ever post a review about the cruise and if so can you provide me with the URL.

Keith

Keith:

While risking being erased because I am now off topic, we thoroughly enjoyed our Europa cruise, especially the fact that it went to some very interesting ports that are usually off the cruise ship route.

I never posted a review but I promise I will do so this summer and will let you know when it is posted.

To the Cartier purchaser:

Usually something that costs 5,000 euros here usually sells for $5000 in the United States -- international brands seem to believe we have an at par exchange rate.

I know from the extensive time I spent in your country that there are ways around the sales tax issue (the jeweler mails the watch to a friend or relative outside of the state, who mails it back to you) -- or you simply find a reputable jeweler outside of your state, purchase the watch, and the jeweler mails it directly to you in your home state.

Technically, the previous poster is correct. If you purchase a luxury item in Europe you should declare that purchase when you go through customs in the U.S. and pay duty. And personally, I prefer to purchase luxury items in my home country and city so that I receive better service, warranty protection, etc. But this is of course a personal choice and everybody has different preferences.

It's been several years now that Americans tend to find Europe extremely expensive for shopping. Please let us know your experience when you return.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Of course I declare things I purchase abroad when I return...the price is VERY reasonable. It really is so small that it would not pay to chance NOT doing. it. Like I stated before, if I cannot receive a terrific price, I will buy at home. That goes for purses, jewelry and any item that I must carry or declare at customs. If it isn't a worthwhile savings, I won't do it. I am in NYC all the time and can easily get what I want here.I was originally looking for a recommendation to a Jeweler that would discount Cartier further than the 20% I can get at home.

Thank you!

Karen

QueenK2, Just was curious do you find that between the exhange rate between the US dollar and the Euro and the additional duty that you pay on your return back to the United States that you realize much savings from this. Just wondering?

Thanks,

Keith

no need to be curious in jan my wife bought a santos galbee in florida for $2800 in the uk £2800, double, my tank and galbee were non european purchases, cartier jewelery can only be bought in the uk from the shop in bond street, or in cartier owned stores outside the uk, and they will not deal I had to pay full price for our wedding rings I had to buy them in bond street because of the fitting etc, regards

I am looking for a particular Cartier watch. In the past, when visiting Paris, I was able to negotite with the Cartier store on Place Vendome and get a watch for about 40% off list price. Since we are visiting Villefranche, and have hired a driver, does anyone have a recommendation of a shop? I have also heard that watches are priced lower in Spain. We are going to be there as well,again with a driver. I don't want to bore you with my itinerary so since we will be in the Med...any country will do! LOL! Any and all information will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Karen

Which watch I may be able to help regards

Cartier stores: There is one official Cartier boutique in Nice and several other stores selling Cartier watches. They may have special offers. There are other Cartiere stores in the area, in Cannes, Juan-les-Pins. See http://www.cartier.com for adresses.

Europa: My parents-in-law have sailed 20+ times with the Europa and a few times with other ships. They say the Europa sails in a completely different league. There is nothing on the world which can reach Europa's level of quality, service and itineraries.

Here on cruisecritic you find a professional review of the Europa which is quite accurate albeit out of a somewhat nationalist (U.S.) perspective.

If you have specific questions place them here. We will be happy to answer them.

I am interested in the Pasha WJ 11922G. It is white gold/diamond bezel 32 mm.Dual band alligator/cloth

By the way, I am in Fl all the time...which stoe did you purchase in?

Thanks,

Karen

The cartier shop in naples, she also came back with my gift Pasha perfume which I use, I am a smoker and I lost my santos lighter, they do not make them anymore, so if you see one, we are in miami again for 2 wks before a cruise in sept, the $ to pound bank rate is today 2.035 making a tourist rate to buy 1.95 so a big shop is due to happen, regards

Your watch has a retail in the U S of $28400 you can buy it on a number of U S sites below $22000 in the uk it has a retail of about $30000, I could not get anywere near the $22k, I visit miami to see friend twice a year and have been taken to many of the pawn shops and my wife has purchased, some fantastic items, we also visit friends in the bahamas, with great results, best regards

The list price quoted from these wbsites is inacurate. I have been to Cartier...the REAL list, what they would charge me on 5th Ave. is only a little more than 21,000. So, these sites are a complete sham. I would like a discount off the US Cartier price LOL. I can get the watch for approximately 17,000 perhaps a bit more...but close ,today if I choose...SO as I said I have pre-shopped here in NY. You do have to do your hw...the internet can be misleading!

Karen

The cartier list price for that model in that spec from cartier bond street london is £!4200 X 2 for exchange rate is $28400 which is what the web sites in the U S quote I have the phone number if you want it, they have allways been very helpfull regards

I have just checked again with bond street, and gave them your spec I picked the croc strap, it is £15400 they said that is the retail price set by cartier world wide and just converted to the relevant currency it may be your ref is wrong. bond streets no is 020 7290 5150, regards

I am only going on what was told to me yesterday... sorry... I wouldn't buy on bond street too expensive for me LOL>>> Why would I call them?Why would I choose to se[end MORE money! If I find that in Europe they rasie the list price, I will buy here. Either way, I cannot lose...the jewler who quote me the price is longstanding dealer with whom I have done business with for decades!

Karen

Archived